Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

To all who requested IMU calibration:
I revised my approach and I will _not_ make IMU calibration available in TelloFpv. Not now and not in a future release. So you will have to keep the Ryze Tello app around, even if its just for calibration.

I took a look at the process, how it's implemented, what data the app and Tello exchange and this is just fragile and sucks. I did it three times with different results.
I managed to wreck a nicely flying Tello just by doing a calibration, it now constantly gives IMU error.

I am not going to add functions that can potentially render a Tello useless. I am not prepared for the service requests that could follow, let alone the negative reviews.
Maybe you could have an 'IMU Calibration' button that just opens the Tello app :LOL:

Reactions: Stele and volate!lo
Pardon my ignorance but I have never noticed a difference after IMU and/or grav. calibration. I have attached different lights, bluetooth tracker etc...without calibrating and it flies fine. My IMU status has always been normal (seldom even checked). Am I missing something?

Pardon my ignorance but I have never noticed a difference after IMU and/or grav. calibration. I have attached different lights, bluetooth tracker etc...without calibrating and it flies fine. My IMU status has always been normal (seldom even checked). Am I missing something?
I never did IMU except for understanding the protocol (which bricked my oldest Tello). Gravity is supposed to take care of changes in motor power and weight (Lego figures on top, prop guards on, etc). Never notice a difference but then I never fly with anything attached.

I never did IMU except for understanding the protocol (which bricked my oldest Tello). Gravity is supposed to take care of changes in motor power and weight (Lego figures on top, prop guards on, etc). Never notice a difference but then I never fly with anything attached.
Well if it's suppose to take care of changes in motor power it Doesn't Work! :)

its supposed to take care of minimal changes in motor power in relation to each other. So if a motor is minimally weaker (or has a slightly different prop shape after a crash) its adjusting its power accordingly within limits. Same if you change the CG by adding prop guards.

Well that's the theory as I understand it. In reality my Tello just blinks a few times and calls it a day.

its supposed to take care of minimal changes in motor power in relation to each other. So if a motor is minimally weaker (or has a slightly different prop shape after a crash) its adjusting its power accordingly within limits. Same if you change the CG by adding prop guards.

Well that's the theory as I understand it. In reality my Tello just blinks a few times and calls it a day.
Exactly! Thanks for the input. Fly on!

Next time I fly, I will record and show you how the Tello behaves before and after calibration. That way you will understand how it works.
Interesting... I just opened the original Tello app while reading all this, and I got a firmware notification stating something about improved flying when removing the propeller guards... See screenshot.
ddb0d43775615dbce8f49fad435a2e6a.jpg

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ansia
Interesting... I just opened the original Tello app while reading all this, and I got a firmware notification stating something about improved flying when removing the propeller guards... See screenshot.
ddb0d43775615dbce8f49fad435a2e6a.jpg

Was supposedly already on the Tello. Weird to get the update notification then...

Seems that the issue I had with the flypad taking long time to connect and disconnects in flight is totally gone in latest beta 0.97
Works like a charm now

Sent from my SM-T719 using Tapatalk

Good morning everybody!

Next time I fly, I will record and show you how the Tello behaves before and after calibration. That way you will understand how it works.
I think I know what its supposed to do, but all my Tellos just hover nicely before and after calibration. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Seems that the issue I had with the flypad taking long time to connect and disconnects in flight is totally gone in latest beta 0.97
Works like a charm now
BTLE connections to Flypad and T1d are still somewhat error prone on some phones. once they are connected (on the main screen) they work reliably, but connecting them is sometimes a hassle.
I have the S4 running Android 8 LineageOs that connects immediately, and another S4 running exactly the same Android but with a more recent baseband version that requires between one and five scans to find a controller. No idea why.

Reactions: xcrost and OptiPlex
Unfortunately, due to not good weather, I can not try the v 0.97 I prefer to fly outdoors than inside the house (I have little room to test the tello).
Of course I will fly further with the new versions of the APP. Waiting for some nice day with less cold and less wind!:cool:

I switch between these 2 props. The thrust on the different ones is stronger, making them more responsive. The con is, when I switch back to original prop, the Tello does the bouncy feature on a smaller scale.View attachment 2568
Just got new props in and had the first (real) flight w/ 0.97... Awesome! I was on my last useable set which were in pretty bad shape (i crash alot). I had no idea they were affecting performance that bad. My yaw rate sucked, tello wouldn't hold altitude and would also do other weird things. Still testing but new motors and props may have been the answer I was looking for. BTW I bought the cheap non OEM motors which seem to work OK except it seems my flight times are 1-2min shorter. I have a few things to report (and request)on 0.97 which I will post after my next flight :) test test Test

Good morning everybody!

I think I know what its supposed to do, but all my Tellos just hover nicely before and after calibration. Maybe I'm just lucky.

BTLE connections to Flypad and T1d are still somewhat error prone on some phones. once they are connected (on the main screen) they work reliably, but connecting them is sometimes a hassle.
I have the S4 running Android 8 LineageOs that connects immediately, and another S4 running exactly the same Android but with a more recent baseband version that requires between one and five scans to find a controller. No idea why.
Yes still issues connecting Note3 & T1d. Sometimes black screen, sometimes good video with blue FPV bar at top, Sometimes horrible video and lag. After 2-4 tries works great once connected. I'm still trying to find a good startup routine that works but might be fruitless. I had issues w/ aTellopilot sometimes too.

Yes still issues connecting Note3 & T1d. Sometimes black screen, sometimes good video with blue FPV bar at top, Sometimes horrible video and lag. After 2-4 tries works great once connected. I'm still trying to find a good startup routine that works but might be fruitless. I had issues w/ aTellopilot sometimes too.

The usual routine:
Switch on Tello.
While Tello boots grab your phone, make sure Ryze Tello app & aTelloPilot are not in memory (use taskmanager to kill).
Put phone in flight mode. (*)
Enable wifi and connect to tello's wifi.
Enable BT if you really have to.
Now open TelloFpv. You should always (!) have a video feed at this stage.
Turn on BT controller and TelloFpv should find it

instead of (*) flight mode you can also just deactivate cellular data. Has the same effect.

The black screen issue pops up erratically when I have cellular on. In a future version I may work around this but this requires different techniques and that is trial&error for dozens of possible solutions depending on the individual phone model. Its not "this is the problem and here is the solution" but "this is one of the possible reasons, and these are possible solutions for scenario abcde and phone models xyz"

Reactions: zesteves and xcrost
The usual routine:
Switch on Tello.
While Tello boots grab your phone, make sure Ryze Tello app & aTelloPilot are not in memory (use taskmanager to kill).
Put phone in flight mode. (*)
Enable wifi and connect to tello's wifi.
Enable BT if you really have to.
Now open TelloFpv. You should always (!) have a video feed at this stage.
Turn on BT controller and TelloFpv should find it

instead of (*) flight mode you can also just deactivate cellular data. Has the same effect.

The black screen issue pops up erratically when I have cellular on. In a future version I may work around this but this requires different techniques and that is trial&error for dozens of possible solutions depending on the individual phone model. Its not "this is the problem and here is the solution" but "this is one of the possible reasons, and these are possible solutions for scenario abcde and phone models xyz"
I follow the same routine except I first start Wifi extender :). Still issues which I'm sure are Bluetooth interference. The red lighting bolt loves me :( Darn T1d :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atapattu