Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

You can program this with my Steelseries Stratus XL with it's propietary software, although I have yet to do any changes.

You are the only one to report video issues as of yet. Could you give me an update if this is related to TelloFPV or just bad luck?

My reference phone is an old Samsung s4, even the s3 mini works but choppy.

Then it should work. TelloFpv has the ability to map sticks in any(!) way you want, also by moving it during mapping.

I will start on the video feed after today's release. Do you have an idea what you are doing that triggers the issues?
I typically run my Note 3 (5.0) w/ Atello Pilot & Xiaomi Wifi extender. Runs flawlessly. Had it out to 1200ft. w/ good video yesterday :). When TelloFPV starts it connects instantly but with no video and most controls don't work i.e. take off etc. Telemetry seems to work (the bird moves, batt. displays correclty)Sometimes it shows a black screen , sometimes it is stuck on the TelloFPV wallpaper. The Note 4 is the same but A couple of times it was half a UI blue screen and half black. Once the video did come up and everything seemed like it might work but that was short lived. I can't repeat that it seems. If I can help in any way pls let me know. I really want this up and running on the Note 3. I use it strictly for Tello. Awesome work so far! BTW I am totally with you on no bounce mode etc... lol... flips might be cool but low priority :)

I also have trouble with video. I have a Motorola Moto 4G plus with LineageOS 14.1 / android 7.1.1. The problem is only when I'm connected with Bluetooth to my Gamesir 1td. I have never had video problems with other apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181218-192502.png
    Screenshot_20181218-192502.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
As I found out by watching recorded Videos, the Videos are a bit choppy. In VLC Player it plays 2 seconds, stops for a view frames, plays 2 seconds, stops for a fiew frames...
If I played in my Stock player, the Ratio isnt 16:9 but more 4:3
Did I something wrong???

I also have trouble with video. I have a Motorola Moto 4G plus with LineageOS 14.1 / android 7.1.1. The problem is only when I'm connected with Bluetooth to my Gamesir 1td. I have never had video problems with other apps.
I tried with Bluetooth on and off but no video either way

Thanks for the feedback!!
It seems there is indeed some work in the video area. I will look into this starting tomorrow. I think I have an idea what causes this: dumb memory allocation => garbage collector overloaded => missed packages => choppy video

Just now preparing the USB OTG release

Reactions: SleepyRobo
USB OTG support is ready. In post #2 on the first page of this thread you will find the APK, manual and release notes for v0.5.

On caveat: v0.5 will delete all preferences and controller settings of v0.4. Normally this should not happen but there was a bug in the storage routine rendering data stored in the previous version useless.

Next release will focus on video stream quality. Hard to say how long this will take to fix this as its the tricky part of this app.

USB OTG support is ready. In post #2 on the first page of this thread you will find the APK, manual and release notes for v0.5.

On caveat: v0.5 will delete all preferences and controller settings of v0.4. Normally this should not happen but there was a bug in the storage routine rendering data stored in the previous version useless.

Next release will focus on video stream quality. Hard to say how long this will take to fix this as its the tricky part of this app.

Thanks again volato!lo (you'll be hearing this from me a lot :))

I downloaded it but can't try it ATM, was headed out the door to go fly my Phantom when I saw this.

I don't recall any problems with video on my MediaPad M3, will try it later and report back... it may be just an overall 'device performance' issue? This tablet is fast.

I have a Note 3 and Note 4 both are not getting live video feed. Telemetry seems to be working. If I re-start the app a few times I might get video and some functionality. Please keep working I can't wait to get this up and runnin! Thanks! I will try the new adk tomorrow. Do you have some type of "mailing list" for new beta releases/updates?
I forgot to get back regarding this one: Mailing list..

No, just check back often here, especially post #2 (where I will always keep the two most recent versions). Since TelloFPV will expire 5 days after posting the APK you have to do this anyway to keep flying ;)

Opss...

I'm afraid my test with v0.4 app version are late, but let's go..

I love autopilot modes !

I have never seen a so good RTH. Congratulations.

Circle and Lock modes work great too. All of them are really incredible. Push Tello another step forward ;)

But I suffer an annoying video problem. Sometimes durign test a problem happend. When TelloFPV app launches I got nothing except a blank screen like this:

tellofpv blank screen.jpg

My other Tello apps worked right, but TelloFPV not :(

Fortunately I noticed I can get ride of the problem removing telloFPV from recent programs window, dragging it out and lanching app again:

closing tellofpv.jpg

By the way, I flew using a Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU model). I hope you can fix this.

All the best.

Thanks again volato!lo (you'll be hearing this from me a lot :))

I downloaded it but can't try it ATM, was headed out the door to go fly my Phantom when I saw this.

I don't recall any problems with video on my MediaPad M3, will try it later and report back... it may be just an overall 'device performance' issue? This tablet is fast.
You are welcome!

Regarding the video issues. I think device performace has to do with it, but I doubt that this is all there is. Choppiness is worse with my old S3 mini, but TelloFPV works OK. My Lenovo tab is lightyears faster than the S3 and should not have any performance issue at all. But even that tablet has some choppiness / stutering when compared with the stock app. So something is not quite right.

This app makes intensive use of multithreading, so my guess is I have some blocking somewhere: one thread stepping on the toes of some other thread. Plus the issue with garbage collection mentioned earlier. I guess it all ads up so some devices have more trouble while others seem to be OK.

Reactions: raulvolador
Opss...

I'm afraid my test with v0.4 app version are late, but let's go..

I love autopilot modes !

I have never seen a so good RTH. Congratulations.

Circle and Lock modes work great too. All of them are really incredible. Push Tello another step forward ;)

But I suffer an annoying video problem. Sometimes durign test a problem happend. When TelloFPV app launches I got nothing except a blank screen like this:

My other Tello apps worked right, but TelloFPV not :(

Fortunately I noticed I can get ride of the problem removing telloFPV from recent programs window, dragging it out and lanching app again:

By the way, I flew using a Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU model). I hope you can fix this.

All the best.

Thanks for the feedback. No worries about being late, v0.4 and v0.5 aren't lightyears apart so no problem.

I have noticed the same issue on one of my devices (but only one :confused:), and I think this all boils down to the same problem. Multithreading and race conditions. Unfortunately these issues are hardest to identify. But tomorrow I can spend most of the day on TelloFPV so we will see.

If you like the existing APs you will love the ones I plan to do once the initial release is out on Goole play.

Reactions: raulvolador
Oh no...
I tested both my phones, HTC u11 and a lower powerfull LG X Power.
The App finds the ts1 Controller otg, but I cant select it. IT Shows always the onscreen Controller.
I still tried it to fly, but no controll via otg...

Oh and I thought the vr Mode will be implemented???

Oh no...
I tested both my phones, HTC u11 and a lower powerfull LG X Power.
The App finds the ts1 Controller otg, but I cant select it. IT Shows always the onscreen Controller.
I still tried it to fly, but no controll via otg...

Oh and I thought the vr Mode will be implemented???

Strange. If the app finds a controller you should be able to select it. What exactly happens if you select the controller as "Master controller"? Can you post a screenshot?

Maybe I have one idea. Give this a try: clear the preferences using the menu and close the app (2x back button). switch off bluetooth. Restart with gamepad plugged in and go to controller screen, press "scan". Does it show up? can you select it? Configure mapping and RC tuning?

VR mode is #2 on the list, but smooth video is #1. I need to get the video streaming right first or VR will be choppy, too, and given the immersive nature of VR this will look even worse.

Last edited:
I could never get video in aTello to work right. Even when everything was apparently working perfect video compared to the official app was significantly lower quality. i never found out why. I don't know if aTelloPilot solved it.

I could never get video in aTello to work right. Even when everything was apparently working perfect video compared to the official app was significantly lower quality. i never found out why. I don't know if aTelloPilot solved it.
Yes they did in my opinion. I tossed up a raw footage video.:
It looks good to me. There are certainly dropped frames and rotor wash but hey, its a Tello :)

Reactions: Genjikyoshero
Krag, Welcome!
As mentioned in the first post: Thank you for your TelloLib and aTello, it was a tremendous headstart and the initial spark to start TelloFPV!

As far as I can see the aTelloPilot performance is similar to the stock app.
I will dig into this tomorrow, maybe the wireshark logs show some difference between TelloFPV and the offical app.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but the proof is to look at them side by side or compare the bitrate with a tool like ffmpeg.

In my tests I was getting about 1/3 the amount of data that the official app was getting. Note you have to test it in fairly heavy bitrate conditions to really see the difference. Like flying over grass.

aTelloPilot could have figured out the trick. I could never get wireshark to capture video for me. I think due to the way my network was setup.

Last edited:
My T1s works on both BT and OTG. I haven't had time to try all the buttons yet, but the sticks work, CSC start works (yaaaa!), all the telemetry is there. Wow...

Reactions: Doug D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sps