Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

That makes no sense because DuRecorder can Record the Stock App screen too as also aTelloPilot. So basicly it should be possible to Code it. I think there is something like an Error in your Code. Or something you have to allowed manuell per Code.

I doubt thats an error in the code, more likely an option I haven't activated. I am using standard surface views which should work OK. And it does for me and others.

It could however be that there is an incompatibility between TelloFPV, it's Android compatibility libs and your particular Android version. Hard to tell.
Some little differences we just have to accept. For example my daughter's the Lenovo tab is driving me mad. One user's Android 7 isn't the same as some other's Android 7. Each phone vendor does his own modifications.

v.06 Video is much better! I am still trying different settings but your recommendations works well. Fpv is certainly flyable and I'm sure it will get even better.
RTH is still glitchy for me but so far I have been unable to replicate the issues reliably. Try setting RTH height to 7m @ 4m/s in sport, fly out a ways at about 3-4 m height and see what happens.
I got the VPS is off warning a couple of times and it seemed it took longer than usual to recover. It was auto landing at the same time so I had to quickly switch speed modes to get out of it. It seems the "stop" function doesn't cancel a forced auto landing? Am I right?
I will try to test this & the RTH again and the POI AP's next flight.

based on the colors of Brick72's account avatar my first bet would be he is German like myself. Richtig?

And if the "72" has a meaning I bet he is an old fart who learned English back in the 80s, forgot half of it and had to re-learn it when the internet arrived.
I'm entitled to say so: I am an old fart myself and did just the same thing ;)

So no worries, alles gut!

Grumpy old men rule!
View attachment 2307
Ich bin erkannt ???

v.06 Video is much better! I am still trying different settings but your recommendations works well. Fpv is certainly flyable and I'm sure it will get even better.
RTH is still glitchy for me but so far I have been unable to replicate the issues reliably. Try setting RTH height to 7m @ 4m/s in sport, fly out a ways at about 3-4 m height and see what happens.
I got the VPS is off warning a couple of times and it seemed it took longer than usual to recover. It was auto landing at the same time so I had to quickly switch speed modes to get out of it. It seems the "stop" function doesn't cancel a forced auto landing? Am I right?
I will try to test this & the RTH again and the POI AP's next flight.

With regards to video quality: I am mainly interested in like-for-like comparison to the stock app or aTello. We can't get more than that out of this drone.
I have a few remaining ideas but these won't be game changers, just optimizations.

VPS off might be a cause for RHT confusion. I have to admit I haven't tested that enough as I haven't flown outside for days now and won't for another week or so due to weather. We have gale force winds and torrential rain.

Why was the autolanding initiated? Was that because of deactivated VPS or low battery?
I am thinking about adding an option to automatically cancel any Tello-Initiated auto landings.

Currently there is AFAIK only one reliable way to cancel an auto landing: As soon as Tello informs the App that it has initiated the landing procedure the takeoff / land button changes to "Cancel landing". Pressing this button sends the appropriate command to cancel the landing. Alternatively you can use the assigned takeoff/land button of the controller.

If toggling speed modes has the same effect this is part of the Tello firmware and most likely a side effect of their internal handling, not anything that TelloFPV sends to the drone.

But you are right, the stop button should cancel landings as well. I put this on the list.

Last edited:
With regards to video quality: I am mainly interested in like-for-like comparison to he stock app that is the reference. We can't get more than this out of this drone.
I have a few remaining ideas but these won't be game changers, just optimizations.

VPS off might be a cause for RHT confusion. I have to admit I haven't tested that enough as I haven't flown outside for days now and won't for another week or so due to weather. We have gale force winds and torrential rain.

Why was the autolanding initiated? Was that because of deactivated VPS or low battery?
I am thinking about adding an option to automatically cancel any Tello-Initiated auto landings.

Currently there is AFAIK only one reliable way to cancel an auto landing: As soon as Tello informs the App that it has initiated the landing procedure the takeoff / land button changes to "Cancel landing". Pressing this button sends the appropriate command to cancel the landing. Alternatively you can use the assigned takeoff/land button of the controller.

If toggling speed modes has the same effect this is part of the Tello firmware and most likely a side effect of their internal handling, not anything that TelloFPV sends to the drone.

But you are right, the stop button should cancel landings as well. I put this on the list.
Perfect! I get auto landings all the time because I fly like a bat out of hell :) Any way there is to minimize this would be great. I don't know if there is a way to set the threshold but this is also prob. a firmware thing. Another related point/question... If I go full speed foward Tello wants to descend rapidly unless I am full stick up. Makes it difficult to maintain altitude, especially against the wind. Is this the nature of the beast?

Perfect! I get auto landings all the time because I fly like a bat out of hell :) Any way there is to minimize this would be great. I don't know if there is a way to set the threshold but this is also prob. a firmware thing. Another related point/question... If I go full speed foward Tello wants to descend rapidly unless I am full stick up. Makes it difficult to maintain altitude, especially against the wind. Is this the nature of the beast?
The autloanding is coded in the firmware. My Tellos initiate an autolanding at 10% that can still be cancelled. Once at 7% it forces the landing.

I don't have significant altitude drops on full speed ahead, but I haven't tested this recently. Somehow I spend more time at the computer than outside. Could also be an issue with either battery or with one motor near end of life.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone around me that has a Tello for me to compare to. Makes it rough. lol At some point I will get a back-up and will be able to.

OK RTH seems to be going backwards as tello is climbing to the set altitude. This has been up to 5-6m in the wrong direction but once the set alt. is reached it heads home. Higher the altitude the further away tello will go before heading back.

Separate issue to check...when flying high and fast the altitude telemetry keeps getting higher. I assume when VPS is lost it keeps adding the prev. log data or something .I'm not a programmer lol...The only way to correct is to land and take off again. After a few minutes of zipping around the altimeter read 85 ft. and I was 20 ft high. So I could not fly any higher and landing was quite interesting lol. I re-started the app etc. and same thing was repeatable.

I will look into the RTH issue now.

Altitude is strange. I'm correcting VPS positions but I'm not doing anything with altitude. Altitude is raw data as received from Tello. Can you check what the stock app does in the same situation?

Sure. I never noticed this before but I have been using atpilot. I will check the stock next flight :)
BTW Thank you so much for getting me out of doing chores around the house. I would much rather be "testing" Ha!

I don't understand a single word Italian but how cool is that??!! Thank you !!!

Overall seems positive, but youtube autotranslated CC fails either with understanding Italian or translation into my language... unless the guy really talks about "power cabbage", "arming the drone" and "flying frigates" ;)

On the more serious side, I have tested the app with Android 6 on Nexus 7, both with on-screen controls and a cheap USB only controller (identifies as "Shanwan gamepad". Works great. There were some problems with keeping flight level, but it may be due to complicated environment (not-very-well lit indoors, with a lot of furniture); the drone was slowly drifting up, even over the ceiling limit set to 2m.

Ah, and a flight log states "max distance from home" as 98m and total distance covered over 2km, during 8 min in six flights. No way ;) My office is about 40m2 and I fly slowly and carefully.

Reactions: xcrost
Hello,
in the last Version TelloFpv 0.6 can I not change the throttle reverse in Mode 1.
Please have anywear a solution.
Thanks

Hello,
in the last Version TelloFpv 0.6 can I not change the throttle reverse in Mode 1.
Please have anywear a solution.
Thanks
You are right. I made a mistake there with version 0.6 affecting all control tuning, will be fixed in v0.7 due tomorrow.
Please revert back to v0.5 still available on in post #2 of this thread

Reactions: flug1000
I have been informed that TelloFPV has been covered on a youtube channel:

I don't understand a single word Italian but how cool is that??!! Thank you !!!

Hi Volatello,

I am portuguese but I can understand a little bit of the italian idiom. As much as I understood, he is saying good things about TelloFPV and about you. He is saying that app is still as a beta version but is amazing what you have done until now. ;)(y)

Today it was a beautiful sunny day in Portugal (18ºC). At the afternoon I went to fly the Tello and test the TelloFPV.
- Flypad and GameSir G3s (BT & OTG) worked great
- CSC - OK
- RTH - OK
- Video - much better and smoother but with some jitter and pixelization
- DuRecorder and TelloFPV recorder worked very well, alone or simultaneously
- Photos and video were store in the phone gallery - Great!!!
- AP Lock POI - was weird... as I controlled the drone forward and backward, it started randomly rotating a lot, not locking on the POI.
- Flight log - something is wrong with the values reported in "Distance from home" and "Distance covered" (and "Max"). The maximum distance from "Home" I flew was about 30 m and it reports 490 m. The "Distance covered" said 1778 m and I didn't fly more then 400m.
- There is something that I didn't understand regarding the relation between the "Controller indicator" (right lower corner - 25 in the first picture of the manual) and which controller is selected ("M" or "S").
Usually, I select the the Flypad or GameSir G3s controller on the "Master controller" and Onscreen joystick on the "Student controller". I control the Tello with the Flypad or G3s controller but in the right lower corner appears the "S" in red.

Just one suggestion related to the user manual: it would be nice if someone deleted the blank pages and insert page numbers. Just a suggestion!!!

The TelloFPV app is awesome. Since you launched it I never went back to using any another Tello app.

Thank you!

Hi Volatello,

I am portuguese but I can understand a little bit of the italian idiom. As much as I understood, he is saying good things about TelloFPV and about you. He is saying that app is still as a beta version but is amazing what you have done until now. ;)(y)

Today it was a beautiful sunny day in Portugal (18ºC). At the afternoon I went to fly the Tello and test the TelloFPV.
- Flypad and GameSir G3s (BT & OTG) worked great
- CSC - OK
- RTH - OK
- Video - much better and smoother but with some jitter and pixelization
- DuRecorder and TelloFPV recorder worked very well, alone or simultaneously
- Photos and video were store in the phone gallery - Great!!!
- AP Lock POI - was weird... as I controlled the drone forward and backward, it started randomly rotating a lot, not locking on the POI.
- Flight log - something is wrong with the values reported in "Distance from home" and "Distance covered" (and "Max"). The maximum distance from "Home" I flew was about 30 m and it reports 490 m. The "Distance covered" said 1778 m and I didn't fly more then 400m.
- There is something that I didn't understand regarding the relation between the "Controller indicator" (right lower corner - 25 in the first picture of the manual) and which controller is selected ("M" or "S").
Usually, I select the the Flypad or GameSir G3s controller on the "Master controller" and Onscreen joystick on the "Student controller". I control the Tello with the Flypad or G3s controller but in the right lower corner appears the "S" in red.

Just one suggestion related to the user manual: it would be nice if someone deleted the blank pages and insert page numbers. Just a suggestion!!!

The TelloFPV app is awesome. Since you launched it I never went back to using any another Tello app.

Thank you!
Yes, the channel owner contacted me through the forum, as well as a few other fellow Tello pilots from Italy. I guess he will do another review when the first release is out.

Regarding your points:
Video: I am really interested in real world comparison of TelloFPV and aTelloPilot / Ryze Tello app in terms of video quality. From what I can tell these three Apps should now give similar quality both recording and stream.
Over here it's dark even during the day, its stormy and the amount of rain varies between bad and really bad. I can only fly inside and Tello constantly complaints about low light and wifi interference due to all the equipment here.
So I would love if someone could help me out with some outdoor flights in good light (haven't seen the sun for over a week)

It woud be very helpful if you could do a short flight with TelloFPV and another flight with Ryze Tello app or aTelloPilot, recording both with DU Recorder. Its important to use the same EV and same time of the day to get similar video feed input for the image stabilization. Also the same controller setup should be used, or no controller at all. You don't need an interference free environment, as long as the interferences are the same for both flights (bluetooth on/off, no change in nearby bluetooth or wifi sources or their use, etc).
I can give you an FTP address to upload the video files, or maybe they can be uploaded here (don't know if there is a size limit), or of course youtube if you happen to have a channel.

AP Poi lock: I broke it with v0.6. But POI Circle is smoother now ;) Will be fixed in v0.7.
Flight log will be fixed in v0.7, too.

The controller indicator S/M shows S whenever there is a student controlelr defined and in control. The student is always in control except when you do something with the master sticks. In that case Master takes over, and retains control for 2 seconds after the last stick movement. After these 2 seconds the controls are returned to Student.
So given your setting the indicator would always be "S" unless you are doing something with the sticks (and 2 seconds after the last input).

I would use the onscreen as master and the external controller as student. That allows you to override the external controller with the onscreen joysticks anytime.
Imagine you have trouble with the external controller. Battery dead, unplugged, whatever. Your last stick input is 100% forward and the controller just stops working. Would be handy to override this with the onscreen joysticks, but that won't work if the onscreen are just student controls. The Panic button would work of course.
Once TelloFPV identifies the broken connection to the controller it will command Tello to just hover in place, and allow you controll, but that will take a few seconds. More if USB connection as Android is slow to inform about removed controllers.

Reactions: zesteves
Yes, the channel owner contacted me through the forum, as well as a few other fellow Tello pilots from Italy. I guess he will do another review when the first release is out.

Regarding your points:
Video: I am really interested in real world comparison of TelloFPV and aTelloPilot / Ryze Tello app in terms of video quality. From what I can tell these three Apps should now give similar quality both recording and stream.
Over here it's dark even during the day, its stormy and the amount of rain varies between bad and really bad. I can only fly inside and Tello constantly complaints about low light and wifi interference due to all the equipment here.
So I would love if someone could help me out with some outdoor flights in good light (haven't seen the sun for over a week)

It woud be very helpful if you could do a short flight with TelloFPV and another flight with Ryze Tello app or aTelloPilot, recording both with DU Recorder. Its important to use the same EV and same time of the day to get similar video feed input for the image stabilization. Also the same controller setup should be used, or no controller at all. You don't need an interference free environment, as long as the interferences are the same for both flights (bluetooth on/off, no change in nearby bluetooth or wifi sources or their use, etc).
I can give you an FTP address to upload the video files, or maybe they can be uploaded here (don't know if there is a size limit), or of course youtube if you happen to have a channel.

AP Poi lock: I broke it with v0.6. But POI Circle is smoother now ;) Will be fixed in v0.7.
Flight log will be fixed in v0.7, too.

The controller indicator S/M shows S whenever there is a student controlelr defined and in control. The student is always in control except when you do something with the master sticks. In that case Master takes over, and retains control for 2 seconds after the last stick movement. After these 2 seconds the controls are returned to Student.
So given your setting the indicator would always be "S" unless you are doing something with the sticks (and 2 seconds after the last input).

I would use the onscreen as master and the external controller as student. That allows you to override the external controller with the onscreen joysticks anytime.
Imagine you have trouble with the external controller. Battery dead, unplugged, whatever. Your last stick input is 100% forward and the controller just stops working. Would be handy to override this with the onscreen joysticks, but that won't work if the onscreen are just student controls. The Panic button would work of course.
Once TelloFPV identifies the broken connection to the controller it will command Tello to just hover in place, and allow you controll, but that will take a few seconds. More if USB connection as Android is slow to inform about removed controllers.

This weekend the weather will be very nice to fly drones in Portugal. I can make the test you are asking for and record the videos.

Meanwhile I can send you the videos I recorded today (both with TelloFPV and DuRecorder). It would be good if you give me an FTP address to upload the video files. I also can try to upload them to Youtube but it will be my first time doing it.

Regarding the controller indicator, I understand what you wrote but if I selected the onscreen joysticks on "Student controller" and the indicator showed "S", and if I was controlling the drone with the Flypad. I thought if the indicator shows" S" it should mean that I was using the Onscreen commands ("Student controller") and not the Flypad ("Masters controller").
But do not bother with it. It's working and that's what it's all about! :)

Anyway, as you advise, I will start using the onscreen as master and the external controller as student. Just to override the external controller with the onscreen joysticks in case of an emergency. (y)

May I ask about the VR you intend to release? I have the Gear VR and in the stock Tello app, you get double vision because of the bad implementation (I assume) and you cant adjust the Gear VR "width". In Drone VR Plus, the adjustment is perfect and I can get it to a perfect picture through the goggles, but I cant fly the **** thing because of the lack of T1D support. AGH! This seems to be the holy grail Ive been looking for...I really hope :) Thank you so much.

Reactions: xcrost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D1234