Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Hi TelloPilot2019,

No worries!

I already checked up here in Portugal in stores similars to Walmart. But I decided for a Tello Shoulder Storage Case like the picture I send. On eBay, it is about the same price as your box and for me is OK.

Thank you very much for your attention.

All the best!View attachment 2417
I own this too. Its pretty cool. But I miss a an Storage in the Cover. It would be great to put Extender, powerbank etc in it.
But its pretty ok. Im fine with it.

Reactions: zesteves
it would be very useful, to have an acoustic signal when the battery goes down to the minimum value set.
thanks again for this fantastic app.?
Already on the todo list. Most likely for the v1.0 release sometime in january. Biggest problem for all these minor things is they need configuration. I need to restructure the settings screens as I am running out of screen real estate on smaller devices like my S3 mini to accomodate all the settings.

I think "Settings => Expert" will move into its own "Video settings" for v1.0, making room for things like sound config.
There is a couple of (audible) notifications that should be configurable: Battery low, Average Wifi strength, detected issues in video or control stream indicating potential loss of connection, geofencing (max distance from home), VPS deactivated, automatic landing, deactivation of autopilots, ...
No worries, none of them will be intrusive.

Last edited:
I own this too. Its pretty cool. But I miss a an Storage in the Cover. It would be great to put Extender, powerbank etc in it.
But its pretty ok. Im fine with it.
I own a different box with storage in the cover. Bad idea: Now I have an ugly scratch in one of my displays and need a new motor for one of my tellos :(

Just installed TelloFpv.
Then paired with the Flypad.
Few mins in the room and..wow, back days are back.Piloting it, sounds like a knife.
Only drawback, it's the roll on the right stick.It's lagged a lot.I don't know if I need more config, but the yawn and up on the left got no lags.
We see , tomorrow more test are waiting.
best 5 euros spent from long time.

Well Done @volatello

Just installed TelloFpv.
Then paired with the Flypad.
Few mins in the room and..wow, back days are back.Piloting it, sounds like a knife.
Only drawback, it's the roll on the right stick.It's lagged a lot.I don't know if I need more config, but the yawn and up on the left got no lags.
We see , tomorrow more test are waiting.
best 5 euros spent from long time.

Well Done @volatello
Good to see you are having fun!

To your points:
There is a distinct lag in pitch & roll in slow mode and low altitude. The lower you fly the worse it is, shortly before touching ground you barely have any control.
Nothing I can do about it and the same happens in all apps because its in the Tello firmware. I suppose they do this is an attempt to make flying indoor safer.

If you want to see the real lag of the controls you have to move the sticks instantly after takeoff. Then you can see there is no such things as control lag. But after a second or two the firmware kicks in, stabilizes the flight and the fun is gone.
You have to switch into fast mode to get rid of this (at least partly), but then you lose image stabilization. Or just fly higher: above 2m altitude the lag seems to be much better.

Reactions: Arthuar
Good to see you are having fun!

To your points:
There is a distinct lag in pitch & roll in slow mode and low altitude. The lower you fly the worse it is, shortly before touching ground you barely have any control.
Nothing I can do about it and the same happens in all apps because its in the Tello firmware. I suppose they do this is an attempt to make flying indoor safer.

If you want to see the real lag of the controls you have to move the sticks instantly after takeoff. Then you can see there is no such things as control lag. But after a second or two the firmware kicks in, stabilizes the flight and the fun is gone.
You have to switch into fast mode to get rid of this (at least partly), but then you lose image stabilization. Or just fly higher: above 2m altitude the lag seems to be much better.
Cleared explained, tomorrow I give it a go.
Somewhere I' ve read about changing pwd on the Tello or don't..I leave it everything default..ain'it?Did it wrong?
Again, connecting Flypad's microusb -> USB -> to usb-c at smartphone, could I leave btooth out and switch to wire?

Already on the todo list. Most likely for the v1.0 release sometime in january. Biggest problem for all these minor things is they need configuration. I need to restructure the settings screens as I am running out of screen real estate on smaller devices like my S3 mini to accomodate all the settings.

I think "Settings => Expert" will move into its own "Video settings" for v1.0, making room for things like sound config.
There is a couple of (audible) notifications that should be configurable: Battery low, Average Wifi strength, detected issues in video or control stream indicating potential loss of connection, geofencing (max distance from home), VPS deactivated, automatic landing, deactivation of autopilots, ...
No worries, none of them will be intrusive.

I understand well and I do not want to rush you!? thanks again for your hard work for this fantastic app.?

Reactions: xcrost
Cleared explained, tomorrow I give it a go.
Somewhere I' ve read about changing pwd on the Tello or don't..I leave it everything default..ain'it?Did it wrong?
Again, connecting Flypad's microusb -> USB -> to usb-c at smartphone, could I leave btooth out and switch to wire?

I would not use a PWD. I am no expert in low level wifi protocols but there must be some overhead involved with encryption. Risk of someone taking over your tello or watching your video is pretty slim, as Tello will only accept one connection at a time. As long as the connection to your phone is alive no other phone can jump in and take over.
unless they are into MIM attacks or other fancy things. If someone goes that far I'd just accept defeat and let them take control of Tello. So what...

Flypad does not work over USB. It connects and appears to work but stops after about 1 minute. Parrots secret behind this stupid behavior has not been deciphered as far as I know. But then they are French...
That reminds me I should add a check for this case (someone connecting Flypad via USB)

I understand well and I do not want to rush you!? thanks again for your hard work for this fantastic app.?
No worries. Things will get better when V1.0 with VR is out in a few weeks. Most of the smaller ideas should be addressed in there. After that I can focus on the real things I want to add to TelloFpv: smart autopilots for better videos, photo settings, ...

OK, you got me. I will now disclose the killer feature that I am going to implement after VR:
It is called "selfie timer" and preliminary tests indicate I can actually make this thing work. I have been working hard on the design for the last ten days and here is my first draft of the functionality: You press a button and two seconds later Tello takes a photo. The details will need some more work, and maybe some may want to have the 2 seconds extended to 3 but the overall procedure should be OK to implement, but will take time. Maybe around easter 2019.
I will offer this as an in-app purchase monthly subscription for just 12 Euro per month, or 100 Euro per year. :ROFLMAO::LOL::p

@volate!lo, is it possible to implement a 3 speed flight mode. Like we now have the video mode, and Sport mode. Maybe something in between video - and Sport mode. Like Video mode, Sport mode and Sport+. Using the same button, but need to click 3 times for the fastest speed. So the Sport+ will just be the same as the current Sport, just a slower speed in between ?

@volate!lo, is it possible to implement a 3 speed flight mode. Like we now have the video mode, and Sport mode. Maybe something in between video - and Sport mode. Like Video mode, Sport mode and Sport+. Using the same button, but need to click 3 times for the fastest speed. So the Sport+ will just be the same as the current Sport, just a slower speed in between ?
Maybe something slower as current standart - a "tripod" mode, positioning mode and sport mode. With positioning being a little faster than current standart.

Reactions: brick72
Maybe something slower as current standart - a "tripod" mode, positioning mode and sport mode. With positioning being a little faster than current standart.
Yes, that could also work. :) i am not into taking pics or video, i just like to fly around the house where my bigger RC toys cant do it. What ever works for the masses :)

Yes, that could also work. :) i am not into taking pics or video, i just like to fly around the house where my bigger RC toys cant do it. What ever works for the masses :)

Yes, that would certainly be possible. A bit of effort, but not a very complex change. But no, I won't do it :cry:

The reason:
Tomorrow someone asks for 4 different rates. Then someone 5. If we add rates it's going to be more and more complex to understand / memorize the stick configuration. Then we don't have two different rate/expo/deadzone configurations per controller but three, four, five. That's going to create more issues than it solves.

Luckily we already have a fully proportional rate selector. Its called "thumb" ;). Just use your thumbs appropriately, and make sure you configure different rate & expo settings for both modes and all axes. Configured correctly it allows both smooth slow flights and sporty runs, and anything in between.

If you feel expo & rate are not enough to do this then my guess is your controller isn't really proportional. Use the gamepad tester app I linked a few times already and check if 10% stick travel really is 10% controller output, and 100% controller output is really only reached at 100% stick travel.
I have a controller that has an output of 0% up to maybe 30% stick travel where it just jumps to 20%, and it reaches 100% very early at maybe 70% stick travel. So there is actually very little stick travel actually used, most of the travel is wasted at 0% or 100%. Of course its very hard to fly if all the controller does is 0% or 100%.
I could also use a simple controller with plain buttons for left and right (which I actually plan to do in a future release as I have a very tiny keyfob BT controller I want to support).

And now to make you happy after this little rant: I hear ya. (y)
I have an idea that is much easier to implement, doesn't confuse newbie drone pilots and might help both of you. What about a rate limiter button?
A button that cuts the given rate in half when pressed. All other settings like expo and deadzone will remain the same, just the rate is temporarily cut in half.
Say you configure 60% rate for video mode and 100% for sport mode. You can fly using these rates, or you press the button and fly with 30% when in video or 50% in sport. This will affect all axes of the drone.
The button will only be available for mapping to an external controller button, and will only be active while pressed (momentary switch / push button). If I do it otherwise I'd need some precious screen real estate and I know I'll have better use for that in the upcoming releases.
Keep in mind that people like me still fly with phones like an S4 mini (I prefer phones sized for single-hand use). So there isn't that much room left

Hello @volate!lo . Yesterday, I lost my tello, because it lost the WiFi connection with my phone and it started to land automatically. I haven't found it. Do you know if it is possible to get the last position from any log that you app has?

By the way, I was using your app while I was flying it.

Thanks

John

Last edited:
Yes, that would certainly be possible. A bit of effort, but not a very complex change. But no, I won't do it :cry:

The reason:
Tomorrow someone asks for 4 different rates. Then someone 5. If we add rates it's going to be more and more complex to understand / memorize the stick configuration. Then we don't have two different rate/expo/deadzone configurations per controller but three, four, five. That's going to create more issues than it solves.

Luckily we already have a fully proportional rate selector. Its called "thumb" ;). Just use your thumbs appropriately, and make sure you configure different rate & expo settings for both modes and all axes. Configured correctly it allows both smooth slow flights and sporty runs, and anything in between.

If you feel expo & rate are not enough to do this then my guess is your controller isn't really proportional. Use the gamepad tester app I linked a few times already and check if 10% stick travel really is 10% controller output, and 100% controller output is really only reached at 100% stick travel.
I have a controller that has an output of 0% up to maybe 30% stick travel where it just jumps to 20%, and it reaches 100% very early at maybe 70% stick travel. So there is actually very little stick travel actually used, most of the travel is wasted at 0% or 100%. Of course its very hard to fly if all the controller does is 0% or 100%.
I could also use a simple controller with plain buttons for left and right (which I actually plan to do in a future release as I have a very tiny keyfob BT controller I want to support).

And now to make you happy after this little rant: I hear ya. (y)
I have an idea that is much easier to implement, doesn't confuse newbie drone pilots and might help both of you. What about a rate limiter button?
A button that cuts the given rate in half when pressed. All other settings like expo and deadzone will remain the same, just the rate is temporarily cut in half.
Say you configure 60% rate for video mode and 100% for sport mode. You can fly using these rates, or you press the button and fly with 30% when in video or 50% in sport. This will affect all axes of the drone.
The button will only be available for mapping to an external controller button, and will only be active while pressed (momentary switch / push button). If I do it otherwise I'd need some precious screen real estate and I know I'll have better use for that in the upcoming releases.
Keep in mind that people like me still fly with phones like an S4 mini (I prefer phones sized for single-hand use). So there isn't that much room left
You have a point a slow button like in octopus mapper app would be perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv