Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

I also received this warning:
This application is slowing down the performance of the device. To improve the performance of the device, disable the automatic application of this application.

he says he checked 10 errors in 1 week.

Thank you, I received the stacktrace so please disable Android diagnostics if you like. BTW: You are a unicorn. Its the only error reported so far in google console.

I will look into this after the new year party. For now you can safely ignore this. All it says is that when closing the app some low-level graphics library doesn't want to release it's resources, and is forced to close by Android.
I can't really "fix" this as there is no known fix, but maybe I can change the shutdown procedure a bit to allow your phone more time to de-allocate resources.

Regarding the reduced performance blabla, thats just a standard text that shows up if an app causes more than 10, 20, 30 errors per week. I see this all the time because the app crashes when debugging due to timeouts.
Hi all,

Wish you all a great new year.

@volate!lo Your app rules! By far the best Tello app. Thank you for your amazing work.

When you have a beta or alpha version of the fpv functionality, would you provide an apk for testing here?
I will do this via Google Play Store Betatest because there I can get better feedback including stacktraces, but I will announce and organize the beta test here.

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks for making this app. It's the best one for Tello!

I have some issues after the latest update. The app records video normally but when I'm trying to play the video later, after 20s I get a black screen and "this file is corrupted" message. Before the update everything was working fine.

I have some issues after the latest update. The app records video normally but when I'm trying to play the video later, after 20s I get a black screen and "this file is corrupted" message. Before the update everything was working fine.

Is this from the DEMO version? Because that one stops recording after 20 seconds.

The full version should work OK; I just did my first outdoor flight and Recording was perfect for the full length of the flight

Is this from the DEMO version? Because that one stops recording after 20 seconds.

The full version should work OK; I just did my first outdoor flight and Recording was perfect for the full length of the flight
Nope, it's the full version.

...in the next few days, I'd like to save time for a small review.For now pretty happy, nonetheless.
Now then, I can make some sort of observations only, always IMHO.
I think the GUI is good like that, we don't need any jingles, pretty minimalist and technically correct.Maybe, if it was possible, I would be going to spend some time on selecting different colors.
For example, the green plane's color at the center it's not very easy to catch.Switching to black, some sort of grey or even blue colors, doesn't make any obtrusive action.
Later, totally useless of course :ROFLMAO:, I will be glad being able to change the "login wallpaper," yes it sounds dumb I know, but I prefer flat colors when I was to play with settings without drone connected :geek::geek:

Thanks for the update 0.94.
Colors. Yes, I should look into picking better colors. I was in a mad rush before Christmas to get the app out.
Actually I stole borrowed the idea of the holo green from an app called "Auriga Bebop" that I liked a lot. This works very well when doing FPV with VR goggles, but you are right it may be to tiny for normal outdoor flights using the phone screen. I need to play with this a bit, maybe make it a bit bigger and different color (just noted on my list thanks for reminding me).

The wallpaper I had before was plain, and it looked freakingly boring and somehow strange. So I used one of my drone photos.

in tellofpv.. can we adjust brightness...it always on highest brightness...i adjust minimum on mobile but whenever i open app its on highest brightness...how to adjust?

Reactions: tello_ar
in tellofpv.. can we adjust brightness...it always on highest brightness...i adjust minimum on mobile but whenever i open app its on highest brightness...how to adjust?

Yeah, as much as I love that feature for daylight flying, but indoors, it feels like instant retina burn... :)
Maybe make this part of the settings menu somewhere?
Check box with something like "Set screen to maximum brightness"

Reactions: volate!lo
I just became a new happy TelloFPV user
2018-12-31_16-52.png

So a couple of things I noticed:
  1. RTH doesn't always work (I tested it with the demo app a couple of times indoors and it worked great. Outdoors, lots of sunlight over grass, didn't work. At all. I'm guessing it couldn't measure distance so well over grass). I'll test this again with the full app over a nice floor with recognizable patterns.
  2. I don't like the way the image is stretched in picture mode (I told you about this before :p). This is just a personal choice, I think it looks bad. Maybe give an option for aspect ratio on the display or something like that? So that if you want, you get a stretched 16:9 image or a 4:3 with right proportions and either cropped edges or black bars? This isn't a big deal but I guess it's something to consider.
  3. I tried using the "Circle POI autopilot" and set the distance to 1m and all it did was a weird erratic movement for like a second and it stoped lol (no input from me of course). But with larger distances seems to work fine (I saw the tip you added in the PDF docs, about getting really close and then flying away. Will try that!).
  4. The images are not recognized automatically by Google Photos. Not sure why though... I'll delete the folder and try again ?
  5. There's noticeable latency (not present in the official app) in the onscreen controls. I'm using a cheap wifi extender, maybe I'll try again solo.
Other than that I'm super impressed. Hope you keep working on it!

Yeah, as much as I love that feature for daylight flying, but indoors, it feels like instant retina burn... :)
Maybe make this part of the settings menu somewhere?
Check box with something like "Set screen to maximum brightness"

Will look into this. My S4 isn't that bright but I guess newer devices are much different.

I just became a new happy TelloFPV user

So a couple of things I noticed:
  1. RTH doesn't always work (I tested it with the demo app a couple of times indoors and it worked great. Outdoors, lots of sunlight over grass, didn't work. At all. I'm guessing it couldn't measure distance so well over grass). I'll test this again with the full app over a nice floor with recognizable patterns.
  2. I don't like the way the image is stretched in picture mode (I told you about this before :p). This is just a personal choice, I think it looks bad. Maybe give an option for aspect ratio on the display or something like that? So that if you want, you get a stretched 16:9 image or a 4:3 with right proportions and either cropped edges or black bars? This isn't a big deal but I guess it's something to consider.
  3. I tried using the "Circle POI autopilot" and set the distance to 1m and all it did was a weird erratic movement for like a second and it stoped lol (no input from me of course). But with larger distances seems to work fine (I saw the tip you added in the PDF docs, about getting really close and then flying away. Will try that!).
  4. The images are not recognized automatically by Google Photos. Not sure why though... I'll delete the folder and try again ?
  5. There's noticeable latency (not present in the official app) in the onscreen controls. I'm using a cheap wifi extender, maybe I'll try again solo.
Other than that I'm super impressed. Hope you keep working on it!

Thanks for purchasing.
  1. If you open the flight log after a flight with troublesome RTH you will probably see some significant time with "VPS off". That is you were fly but VPS was not providing any position data, so Tello gets basically lost. Depending on the ground you will see degradation of VPS position and not a full deactivation. You will notice the distance is just way off, like Tello hovering beside you but distance says 50m. I have only experienced this when flying over a pool or puddles of water, but that will happen whenever VPS can't do it's magic. If VPS works reliably RTH will work well, there just isn't anything TelloFpv can do if it doesn't.
  2. Yes, we talked about it. I will make this configurable in one of the future releases, most likely the upcoming VR release. I never thought about the scren dimensions of more recent phones.
  3. That sounds like a confused VPS position. It is typically rock solid as long as you have a good stable VPS position. Combined with #1 it sounds like your Tello has some trouble with VPS. maybe the sensors are dirty or scratched?
  4. That should have been solved with 0.94
  5. That is surprising, because I measured the time between a user touch/move event and the data packet being sent and it was well below 10ms, something nobody would notice. But then its always a question of what Tello does with the information it receives. Tello behaves very different depending on altitude and accuracy of the VPS. Especially pitch & roll are filtered by Tello to make for smoother movements. Maybe try again with both apps, and make sure you do exactly the same thing (same altitude, same speedmode, same moves, same light conditions & ground).

Reactions: nahuel
Thank you, I received the stacktrace so please disable Android diagnostics if you like. BTW: You are a unicorn. Its the only error reported so far in google console.

I will look into this after the new year party. For now you can safely ignore this. All it says is that when closing the app some low-level graphics library doesn't want to release it's resources, and is forced to close Android.
I can't really "fix" this as there is no known fix, but maybe I can change the shutdown procedure a bit to allow your phone more time to de-allocate resources.

Regarding the reduced performance blabla, thats just a standard text that shows up if an app causes more than 10, 20, 30 errors per week. I see this all the time because the app crashes when debugging due to timeouts.
Absolutely.
It doesn't matter at all, it's just an usual diagnostic alarm, but the performance aren't influenced at all.
Otherwise, there are killing process apps for android, rooted ones, especially.

Please get back to me so we can discuss whats going on.

I've just updated the app to 0.94, but now when I exit the app I get this screen, so I see that the TelloFPV program has been interrupted. this has not happened to me with the 0.9 version on Samsung Note 3 neo SM-n7505 Android 5.1.1
I tried only to start the app without connecting tello and gamesir.ma when I leave the app I have this problem.

Hi there,

I will make a new release and include a change that might fix the problem. As said this is one of the problems that are really hard to fix because they are device specific and I don't have your particular device.
So far you are still the only one with a crash report so while annoying for you its not really critical.

John, I feel really sorry for your loss.
I'm afraid there is nothing in current version of TelloFPV that could help you. FlightRecorder & FlightLog, which are supposed to become a real help in cases like yours, are still in early stages and don't do much.

I'm sorry, but just keep searching. Tello seems to survive almost everything, including rain showers.

@volate!lo I'm looking forward new features FlightRecorder & FlightLog you are talking about. They look very promising ;)

I have been flying your TelloFPV app this christmas and I am very happy. It works great. Good job.

All the best.

Hello, what news will there be in the next version?
Having the possibility of adding acoustic alarms to some functions such as: low battery, low WiFi reception and VPS / off would be very useful. But already you had answered and will be on the list of things to do?
Greetings and Happy 2019;)

Reactions: trelo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode