Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Seriously though, thank you so much for this. The amount of time & energy you put into this app is obvious. Ok, that said it's time to pound down some 5 hrs energy's & get back to work. Celebrate X-mas next year. Your family will understand. :(

Reactions: xcrost
With a little persistence and finesse I got the new apk to run w/ video & fly on my Note 3( just a quick test). I'm sure it will improve! This is gonna be great! Thanks for all of your hard work! I sure won't mind paying for such a great addition to the Tello :)

update:
Clearing RAM and restarting Wifi seems to be the trick. This is AWESOME! Thank you V! All is working great! I haven't tried autopilots yet and can't wait for more testing tomorrow. Sticks down and in to start is not working. but otherwise wonderful so far. I absolutely love in flight exposure control!

Last edited:
Great volate!lo !!
I just saw this thread due to long business trip..
I need to spur aTelloPilot not to be behind of your TelloFpv :)

Reactions: Splicer
Seriously though, thank you so much for this. The amount of time & energy you put into this app is obvious. Ok, that said it's time to pound down some 5 hrs energy's & get back to work. Celebrate X-mas next year. Your family will understand. :(
Thanks to Amazon we already have all presents for Christmas so I have some spare time over the next few days. So I will dig into the video issue from the ground up starting analyzing the command & video streams of the official app.

With a little persistence and finesse I got the new apk to run w/ video & fly on my Note 3( just a quick test). I'm sure it will improve! This is gonna be great! Thanks for all of your hard work! I sure won't mind paying for such a great addition to the Tello :)

update:
Clearing RAM and restarting Wifi seems to be the trick. This is AWESOME! Thank you V! All is working great! I haven't tried autopilots yet and can't wait for more testing tomorrow. Sticks down and in to start is not working. but otherwise wonderful so far. I absolutely love in flight exposure control!

Good so at least it works, even with some video startup hickups.
With regards to restarting wifi: Could it be that you have the official app still running in the background? Because the Ryze App keeps Tello on it's hook, it keeps the connection open which blocks all other apps from acessing Tello.

Arming motors with the CSC "Left stick down+right and right stick down+left" has been working reliably for days now, even with modified rate. Check if it works for the onscreen joysticks. If it doesn't I am puzzled. The only thing is the controller needs to report at least 80% stick input for both axes as 80% is the threshold that triggers the startup. If your controller has either a separate rate setting reducing this (or just doesn't report 100% due to manufacturer settings / low quality) there isn't much I can do.

BTW: You can check controller output by going into the "Main settings - Expert" section and activating debug. This will show an overlay with debug data, including the controller data. Please note that the displayed values are not what is reported by the controller (and used for arming) but what is used after expo/deadzone/rate has been applied. A lw rate setting will result in low readings but this does not effect the stick command for "arm motors".

Great volate!lo !!
I just saw this thread due to long business trip..
I need to spur aTelloPilot not to be behind of your TelloFpv :)
Well for now you are ahead in terms of video quality ;). And you have a different feature set, so I think we will have a somewhat different user base anyway.

Last edited:
Oh. My. God. Its wooorkiiiing ????
I deinstalled and reinstalled it, and it lets me choose the ts1 otg. Its so AWESOME to fly with it !!!!!!!!!!!

Routine to get started without Video and gamepad Problems:
1. Connect gamepad to your Phone
2. Turn tello on
3. Connect WiFi to tello WiFi.
4. Start telloFPV
If I do so I have no blackscreen, no Bluescreen, no Breaking.

I will Test it ousite after the rain

Thanks for the feedback. No worries about being late, v0.4 and v0.5 aren't lightyears apart so no problem.

I have noticed the same issue on one of my devices (but only one :confused:), and I think this all boils down to the same problem. Multithreading and race conditions. Unfortunately these issues are hardest to identify. But tomorrow I can spend most of the day on TelloFPV so we will see.

If you like the existing APs you will love the ones I plan to do once the initial release is out on Goole play.

@volate!lo, I hope my blank screen issue will be fixed by itself when you solve your low quality video problem. As you say, that's the biggest lack of your software at this moment.

On the other hand, I have to congratulate you for other excellent TelloFPV features I could test yesterday on v0.4 version:

- non intrusive notifications ('low battery', etc...) liked me a lot. They are much more pleasant.
- showed percentaje of photo downloaded is cool.
- countdown for palm landing and throw take off gives a lot of confidence
- Wifi strenght shown numerical on decibels is great for long distance flights.
- Separate controller sensitivity for each RC channel is just what I was looking for really smooth yaw movements.
- your plenty config Return to Home feature makes flights safer
- And, of course, your current autopilot modes are amazing. I can't wait for the new ones that will arrive in future versions. Maybe an enlarged Up & Away mode... ?

I'll test my Gamesir T1 USB wired controller into v0.5 as soon as possible.

Keep doing so god work !

I will Test it ousite after the rain
THAT has been a probem for me, too. Haven't been able to fly outside for days.

I can't do much autopilot tuning without getting outside for testing as the large rooms in the house have all polished granite floor so VPS doesn't work good enough :(

Well, in my former life I used to be system architect and tech lead managing global java enterprise project for two decades. These days I do programming only for my hobbies. So even thought this is my first Android app I know a thing or two about rollouts ;)

Reactions: zesteves
So actually I tested it outside with ts1 otg. It Spinning a Bit leftwise all the Time. So I was not Really able to fly straight forward. Rth had Problems throug this too.
I tried to Record screen via DuRecorder, but when DuRecorder is on, TelloFPV didnt react to fly. Seems like DuRecorder Blocks your App.

I opend Stock app, no Spinning leftwise.
Closing Stock App, starting TelloFPV again: Spinning leftwise... ?

- And, of course, your current autopilot modes are amazing. I can't wait for the new ones that will arrive in future versions. Maybe an enlarged Up & Away mode... ?
Up & away pfffffff. Thats on the list and easy to do. No, I mean really cool. At least three future APs should make it into the "woahhh coool" category.

That is as soon as I have video fixed, VR mode in place, and the autopilot controls are smooth.

Reactions: raulvolador
So actually I tested it outside with ts1 otg. It Spinning a Bit leftwise all the Time. So I was not Really able to fly straight forward. Rth had Problems throug this too.
I tried to Record screen via DuRecorder, but when DuRecorder is on, TelloFPV didnt react to fly. Seems like DuRecorder Blocks your App.

I opend Stock app, no Spinning leftwise.
Closing Stock App, starting TelloFPV again: Spinning leftwise... ?

Now that is an interesting issue.
Can you turn on the debug overlay (Main Settings => Expert => Debug) and check if there is any input that causes this (bottom lines)?

I realy like the Auto Pilots.
I have seen a Circle me Version where you can correct the Circle Dimension by using the forward/backward stick.

I realy like the Auto Pilots.
I have seen a Circle me Version where you can correct the Circle Dimension by using the forward/backward stick.

An excerpt from my todo list:
  • Circle POI:
    increase / decrease the speed at which Tello travels around the POI using roll (roll set target speed, AP increases / decreases speed smoothly).
    increase / decrease the distance at which Tello travels around the POI using pitch (pitch sets target distance, AP increases / decreases distance smoothly).

Dont do it to complicate ??

I came in from Second testing. Tello didnt Spinn leftwise. I could not reproduce this Error again.
But its not possible to screenrecord via DuRecorder.
The Video Transmission was not the best, verry choppy and with loosing many frames.

The Circle Mode is not aviable for me, because the enter Button is out of Screen.

Dont do it to complicate ??

I came in from Second testing. Tello didnt Spinn leftwise. I could not reproduce this Error again.
But its not possible to screenrecord via DuRecorder.
The Video Transmission was not the best, verry choppy and with loosing many frames.

The Circle Mode is not aviable for me, because the enter Button is out of Screen.
No worries, won't be complicated.
DURecorder works mostly OK for me (I use it for testing, to capture the debug data and replay it slowly to graps what is going on), but keeps crashing from time to time regardless of TelloFPV.

Can you send me a screenshot of th problem with the missing button?

Regarding video: will take about a day to do a complete re-write of that section. I just hope I am on the right track and not just wasting time.

Really liking v0.5... after v0.4 came out, I was looking forward to controller support and CSC... thanks!

I know you're working on video feed at the moment but for the record, some minor issues I'm having:

• I got the 'black screen' one time this morning, telemetry and control was there but no video. I force stopped all apps and got video back on TelloFPV re-start... probably some app conflict.
  • Sliding the switch from video mode to photo mode doesn't seem to want to work well, and I haven't been able to find any photos I've taken.
  • I get the 'downloading' percentage onscreen and the 'TelloFPV Photos' folder is there, but no photos... videos are where they're supposted to be.
  • To arm motors with CSC, the sticks have to be in the precisely perfect place... v0.4 seemed more forgiving. Same behavior on BT or OTG.
  • With Debug turned ON, the values have to be: T:-1.0 Y:1.0 P:-1.0 R:-1.0 to arm
  • I tried CSC with deadzone changed to '0' and '20', same thing- have to have values of 'all 1.0s' to arm. Kept Rate and Expo at defaults.

I hope you're having fun with this project... 'cause I'm having a blast following it!

Really liking v0.5... after v0.4 came out, I was looking forward to controller support and CSC... thanks!

I know you're working on video feed at the moment but for the record, some minor issues I'm having:

• I got the 'black screen' one time this morning, telemetry and control was there but no video. I force stopped all apps and got video back on TelloFPV re-start... probably some app conflict.
  • Sliding the switch from video mode to photo mode doesn't seem to want to work well, and I haven't been able to find any photos I've taken.
  • I get the 'downloading' percentage onscreen and the 'TelloFPV Photos' folder is there, but no photos... videos are where they're supposted to be.
  • To arm motors with CSC, the sticks have to be in the precisely perfect place... v0.4 seemed more forgiving. Same behavior on BT or OTG.
  • With Debug turned ON, the values have to be: T:-1.0 Y:1.0 P:-1.0 R:-1.0 to arm
  • I tried CSC with deadzone changed to '0' and '20', same thing- have to have values of 'all 1.0s' to arm. Kept Rate and Expo at defaults.

I hope you're having fun with this project... 'cause I'm having a blast following it!
Thanks a lot!

Blank screen happen sometimes for different reasons. Most often there seems to be a race conditoon in my code so it just stops processing incoming data. Some times Tello does not respond to connection requests (that is no telemtry or video) and sometimes Tello refuses to send video to the port because I am not using the default port (shows telemetry but no video). All these will be fixed in the next release (but no promises when, could be tomorrow or the day after)
I will look into the CSC problem. It should work with values larger than 0.8 and AFAIR I haven't touched anything in this code area.
Photos not saving is new, also noted.
Problem with switching video / photo mode also noted.

@all: Whenever you have layout problems (buttons not showing, part of the screen outside the visible region, etc) could you pls include your phone type or screen resolution? A screenshot would be much appreciated!

Is it possible to implement an auto RTH function if Battery is low?
Technically easy to do, just a few minutes work. But I'm not really a fan of this.

First you'd have to select what battery level triggers RTH. Of course I could start doing some math (flight time left in battery vs distance to fly home) but that won't work reliably if you fly batteries with different characteristics (age). At the end you might have enough juice to get home or not...

Second real "Auto RTH" would not ask you to return but instead just go home. In most circumstances this causes more trouble than its worth. You are flying somewhere around the house and bang ... Tello flies into the flower vase because thats the direct way back home. Or Tello tries to ascend to 15m because thats what you programmed RTH to do for your outside flight yesterday...

I'd rather add some notification sounds..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode