Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Tello owner

I know what forwarding of a business is, and how the FAA look at it, spoken to them many times about it

Hello. Interesting thread. Dwight, I am happy to read about your experience, and enjoyment of Tello. I only have a few points to add here.

First, as it was so brilliantly put, Tello really is where the fun is at after spending time with the other, "flying miracles." That's exactly how it played out for me anyway. To this I add that Tello then put that fun BACK into my flying miracle. Fun, seems to be the bottom line with Tello.

Second, the discussion on commercial flying is an important one. My gratitude to all who contribute, without letting it degrade from a informative discussion, into flame filled argument. I know I can do plenty of other research, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, as I don't feel there's been resolution.

Finally, I enjoy photogrammetry entirely as a hobby. What are the implications of having a 107 as photogrammetry hobbiest? I'm assuming the deciding factor when categorizing the purpose for a particular flight, would be whether money is exchanged between the pilot and a second party, for the air time, or for some product, data, or otherwise, gained from that air time. If I create a 3D model of say my parents home, for fun, and out of curiosity, and of course give them a copy of the data, are they then barred from referring to any insights gained from that model/data should they choose to sale their house? or have a yard sale? What if they give the data to a roofer they hire, who uses it for some level of reference when reroofing the house? or to a landscape designer?

Hello. Interesting thread. Dwight, I am happy to read about your experience, and enjoyment of Tello. I only have a few points to add here.

First, as it was so brilliantly put, Tello really is where the fun is at after spending time with the other, "flying miracles." That's exactly how it played out for me anyway. To this I add that Tello then put that fun BACK into my flying miracle. Fun, seems to be the bottom line with Tello.

Second, the discussion on commercial flying is an important one. My gratitude to all who contribute, without letting it degrade from a informative discussion, into flame filled argument. I know I can do plenty of other research, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, as I don't feel there's been resolution.

Finally, I enjoy photogrammetry entirely as a hobby. What are the implications of having a 107 as photogrammetry hobbiest? I'm assuming the deciding factor when categorizing the purpose for a particular flight, would be whether money is exchanged between the pilot and a second party, for the air time, or for some product, data, or otherwise, gained from that air time. If I create a 3D model of say my parents home, for fun, and out of curiosity, and of course give them a copy of the data, are they then barred from referring to any insights gained from that model/data should they choose to sale their house? or have a yard sale? What if they give the data to a roofer they hire, who uses it for some level of reference when reroofing the house? or to a landscape designer?

sorry got interrupted and accidentally partially posted, rather than me explain it, any of the three videos I posted above will explain it, however the first one ( rather comical ) explains it most directly. In fact he uses my example directly, it makes no difference if you make money or not, it is the furtherance of any business. Take pictures of your kids... no problem, take pictures of your kids all wearing Pepsi tea shirts and it is technically the furtherance of a business ( although it is doubtful that you would be cited ) . Same with taking pictures of a house for sale, if the person uses the picture in the furtherance of the business, regardless if you your self are paid or not, it is the furtherance of a business.

Last edited:
sorry got interrupted and accidentally partially posted, rather than me explain it, any of the three videos I posted above will explain it, however the first one ( rather comical ) explains it most directly. In fact he uses my example directly, it makes no difference if you make money or not, it is the furtherance of any business. Take pictures of your kids... no problem, take pictures of your kids all wearing Pepsi tea shirts and it is technically the furtherance of a business ( although it is doubtful that you would be cited ) . Same with taking pictures of a house for sale, if the person uses the picture in the furtherance of the business, regardless if you your self are paid or not, it is the furtherance of a business.
Hi Dwight. Thanks for taking the time to reply. For learning, I far prefer reading, and discussion, over watching videos, but on your recommendation I will go back watch them. Hopefully I can ascertain who this mysterious, and elusive business owner is exactly. Thank you.

P.S. Picturing my family, all wearing clothing in promotion of a cola, is absolutely frightening. [shiver]

Reactions: umanbean
The second part is, what will they actually go after, take pictures of your kids wearing Pepsi tea shirts, I seriously doubt it, take pictures of your neighbors house and he uses those pictures for sale of the house, probably not. But it is a line, that can be gone over at some point very easily. Bottom line, if you plan on monetizing in any way whatsoever, get a licence, or if you have thousands that follow you on You Tube, better get a licence just so no one can use that "Catch All"

The point is just because you have a 107 it does not automatically make every flight a commercial flight. The intent of the flight dictates whether the flight is a commercial flight. Of course intent can be judged in part by what is done during the flight.
Also, if you take pictures of your parents house for their enjoyment and a year later they use those pictures in the sale of the house the pilot has NOT violate any flight rules. What's judged is the intent at the time the pictures were taken. I think the FAA is more concerned with safety issues and blatant abuse of commercial flight rules then concern about my grandson is wearing a NY Yankees tee shirt in the photographs as a promotion of the franchise.

Reactions: Santiago
both correct, and the point that started this conversation, my next door neighbor who is a Realtor and wants me to take videos of properties, absolutely would be the furthering of a business whether he actually pays me personally or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode