Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New to the forum, new to drones

Memor86

Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a tello drone, read the whole manual, watched a few videos and I'm ready to go...
I've ordered a Bluetooth controller that I will use with the octopus app in my android device, I also ordered a xiaomi wifi extender and also a couple extra batteries with a triple charger and a carrying pouch.
I've seen a couple videos of the alternative app that seems to work better called tello fpv and I'm tempted to buy it.
I've flown indoors a few times, getting used to controlling a drone, I had experience flying rc helicopters in simulators but the real deal is always different, I feel the controls are not as responsive sometimes I'm pulling to go left and it keeps drifting right. Is there any way to improve the control response?

When my controller arrives im sure it's gonna make things better because I've never got used to virtual joysticks there's no physical feedback.

Do you guys have any recommendations??

The App TelloFPV is a really good App to control the Tello. And it works with many (if not all) BT controllers.
Take some time to study al the possible parameters. If your controller haves additional buttons (I've got the Gamesir T1s) you can map functions to the buttons.
And then enjoy flying the Tello. :) (y)

De plus l'application tello vpv existe en version d'essais gratuite pour une dizaine de vol, cela permet de voir si cela nous conviendrait...

Welcome aboard Memor86! I agrees with you, I have never been good with virtual controls either, the controller feels much more natural to me. You can download the demo if the fpv app for free to see if it works with your device. You can adjust the sensitivity in it, but I don't think you can in the original Tello app.

Reactions: ZWActual
I just purchased it, took a short flight seems like a different drone. Waiting for the delivery of my Bluetooth controller and extra batteries

I got news guys, everything I ordered just arrived today, I paired the bluetooth remote and set up my wifi repeater, tried the new app and it's like a totally different drone. Way easier to fly, now I just need to spare some time to go fly it somewhere open as I have been only been testing it indoors.

Question, how many batteries do you carry?

Do you guys have any recommendations??
My #1 recommendation would have been the Tellofpv app, but I see you've already bought it. It elevates the Tello experience 10x and with that, you also won't need the octopus app to make your BT controller work.

Question, how many batteries do you carry?
I bought the Boost package which comes with three batteries and a 3-bay OEM charger. Later added the Smatree DT30 rechargeable charger/usb power pack from Amazon. I like it cuz you can charge 3 batteries simultaneously in the field and also use it to power the Mi 2 extender.

Then, bought a used Tello from the classifieds here, so now have a total of 4 batteries, 2 Tellos, 2 extenders, Gamesir T1s, and several USB power packs. I have to carry it all in a small aluminum briefcase!

I guess I have what you might call Tello fever LOL

Last edited:
thanks guys, i've got a question, on the tello fpv app how do it set it up for a fastest live preview video? even with the repeater i feel like its a bit hard to fly in FPV mode by just looking at the screen, it seems to be a bit laggy even being close to the drone, the inside the video options, what you recommend to set up on the bitrate slider? auto? 1 mbps, or max? which one means fluent video

it seems to be a bit laggy even being close to the drone
More important than the bitrate - What kind of controller and how is it connected to the phone? Also, what phone are you using? Are other apps running in the background?

im using a bluetooth remote, wifi repeater and a huawei p30 pro cellphone (high end) the controller response is fast, video looks really clear and nice but theres a bit of a delay on the video signal.

I tested using no Bluetooth controller, airplane mode and didn't feel any difference. Is there any wired controller that has a stand for the cellphone?

The Gamesir T1/s (not T1d) is fairly popular on this board that has a built-in phone holder.

However, if you already own a game console controller (PS3/4, Xbox One, etc.), these will also work in TelloFPV with an OTG cable/adapter and a phone bracket.

Did you test it without the repeater yet? Just the phone connected directly to Tello. Also, you might try lowering the dead zone settings in Tellofpv controller menu

I tested using no Bluetooth controller, airplane mode and didn't feel any difference. Is there any wired controller that has a stand for the cellphone?
If you tested using no controller, and didn't feel any difference, a wired controller is not going to solve your problem.

It's the controller, I downloaded a tester app and it's the same. I need to get a better controller.

I found a parrot swing + flypad on sale, about 50 usd and interest free 18 payments, that's nothing, I took it home hoping the controller would work I feel like an idiot I couldn't make it work never went back to the tello fpv manual, turns out it's natively supported. Not it works like a charm and way better than the other I had purchased, and now I have a Lil drone to fly between my charges.. A bit disappointed. The battery lasted less than 5 mins probably because it was on sale for so long, I remember seeing it a long time ago and not getting it. I'm pretty happy with my tello.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv