Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New wifi range extender

Friendlytoad

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum just discovered it. I bought a tello a week ago and now I'm getting all set up.

I couldn't find the mi repeater 2 everyone uses so I bought a different one. I'm able to connect it to my drone no problem. The only issue is I dont get much more distance than I would normally.

Here is a link to the one I got. Any clue of why it shouldn't work just as well as the mi repeater?

Reactions: Pepper84
Welcome Friendlytoad. The Xiaomi repeater is not necessarily a cure all. Ideally, the repeater is set up between the controller and the drone.

You might be flying in a wireless saturated area. Are there also overhead power lines nearby? Have you tried to fly in an open field (e.g. less urban areas) and does that still have limited range? Trying flying with a wired controller, turning off Bluetooth or put the phone in airplane mode to reduce all other wireless transmissions (and interference).

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum just discovered it. I bought a tello a week ago and now I'm getting all set up.

I couldn't find the mi repeater 2 everyone uses so I bought a different one. I'm able to connect it to my drone no problem. The only issue is I dont get much more distance than I would normally.

Here is a link to the one I got. Any clue of why it shouldn't work just as well as the mi repeater?

If it constantly doesn't get better results it may not be a mimo device. Then is simply not better than a smartphone wifi setup

HMM - It seems I cannot order this from the big AMZ - they will not ship it from Canada to me in Ohio. Too bad, it's a great price. Anyone else have any other WiFi Repeater suggestions? So far one person told me about one that's no longer available, while this gent told me/us about the above-named unit, which I cannot obtain either! The Xiaoami is a piece of crud & a search in Amazon (AMZ) yields many powered only via household current! Sheesh - Ima goin crazy . . .

Oh I've been keeping the repeater beside me as I fly. Maybe I need to put it out in the field ???

Get it as high as possible, that's the single greatest advantage i have found that using repeater has, just being able to put the repeater on something that is couple of meters (or more) high.

bring a stick, or something.

some people seem to just drop to ground and wonder why its close to useless...

also, don't put it right next to you.

Get it as high as possible, that's the single greatest advantage i have found that using repeater has, just being able to put the repeater on something that is couple of meters (or more) high.

bring a stick, or something.

some people seem to just drop to ground and wonder why its close to useless...

also, don't put it right next to you.

Ok get it high, how far from me should I put it. Like half way between me and where I want my drone to go? Maybe 30 meters out?

Other than the mystifyingly popular Xiaomi, can anyone recommend a different, easier to setup and use repeater? I would pay more for ease of use/setup, cos I wasted two & a half days diddling with that one, with nothing to show for it! I got fed up and returned it!
Thanx,
Mrstacey

Other than the mystifyingly popular Xiaomi, can anyone recommend a different, easier to setup and use repeater? I would pay more for ease of use/setup, cos I wasted two & a half days diddling with that one, with nothing to show for it! I got fed up and returned it!
Thanx,
Mrstacey
PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP!?
Can anyone recommend a (NOT XIAOMI!) DIFFERENT REPEATER??!
THANX!

HMM - It seems I cannot order this from the big AMZ - they will not ship it from Canada to me in Ohio. Too bad, it's a great price. Anyone else have any other WiFi Repeater suggestions? So far one person told me about one that's no longer available, while this gent told me/us about the above-named unit, which I cannot obtain either! The Xiaoami is a piece of crud & a search in Amazon (AMZ) yields many powered only via household current! Sheesh - Ima goin crazy . . .

Mrstacey here is the amazon.com version

PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP!?
Can anyone recommend a (NOT XIAOMI!) DIFFERENT REPEATER??!
THANX!

Sorry to hear about your experience with your xiaomi. I have three tellos (original, edu, and ironman), each with their own gamestier t1d controller and each with their own xiaomi 2 repeater. attached is a link I used to learn the setup took 15 minutes for the first, then less than 5 for the other two.

I get very good video reception and control over the AC. the furthest out has been about 150ft and about 60ft up using tellfpv. don't want to chance any further cause ya just can't see it. heck, when it hits 70ft out its hard to see. without the xiaomi 2, I never got more than 60-70ft out before the video went out.

netgear has some very good A/C driven repeaters, ya just need to buy a motorcycle battery 7amp or better, a 100 watt inverter, and your ready to go. you'll spend at least $200 bucks. you can find a setup for a 3rd of that, but you get what you pay for.

hope this helps

happy and safe flying

xiaomi is often plagued with amnesia: you have to redo the setup after a few days / weeks of non-use. That requires a fatty chinese app, an account with xiaomi, internet access, and some luck.

The one friendlytoad listed seems to work, but nobody knows performance. From his feedback I'd say not recommended. A good repeater gives you a significant increase in range in any setup.
BTW: Friendlytoad you should put the repeater 2-5m away from you and with clear line of sight between extender and tello

The wifi+s sold under different brand names is a 1minute setup by browser, reliable, and performas as good as the xiaomi. see here for links

Thanx Mr./Ms.(?) Vola! I ordered one thru ebay, but I do not expect it to come anytime soon. There's a vendor in Spain selling them for less than eight bux, but to avoid shipping costs, you must buy at least $25 worth of merchandise. I was considering buying several, then offering the extras to Tello Pilots for cost. Think that would be OK? I don't want to do anything improper.
Thanx,
Mrstacey

Thanx Mr./Ms.(?) Vola! I ordered one thru ebay, but I do not expect it to come anytime soon. There's a vendor in Spain selling them for less than eight bux, but to avoid shipping costs, you must buy at least $25 worth of merchandise. I was considering buying several, then offering the extras to Tello Pilots for cost. Think that would be OK? I don't want to do anything improper.
Thanx,
Mrstacey
Sounds smart but you don't have to ask me. I'm just a mere user of this site like anybody else.

Sounds smart but you don't have to ask me. I'm just a mere user of this site like anybody else.

We're mere mortals compared to you.

902.gif

Reactions: Mrstacey
you made my day. Waynes world... excellent (y)
Still remember that they met Alice Cooper in that scene.. But I relly loved when they were driving their Pacer - headbanging to Bohemian Rapsody

Reactions: ZWActual
I have found it is difficult to buy the Xiaomi repeater - may it be from AliExpress or (worse) Bangood or Wish. They say they are shipping the order - but in the end - they cancel the order and state that there is no inventory. So I checked another one that is easier to configure and definitely improved range:
tp-link WR802N Configuration
tp-link WR802N Range Test

I have found it is difficult to buy the Xiaomi repeater - may it be from AliExpress or (worse) Bangood or Wish. They say they are shipping the order - but in the end - they cancel the order and state that there is no inventory. So I checked another one that is easier to configure and definitely improved range:
tp-link WR802N Configuration
tp-link WR802N Range Test

I get very good results with this one. The Xiaomi was out of the question since I work in data security. I needed a browser set-up one. I simply put it on my body for now and keep the tello in sight. Seems to work just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv