Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Newbie from Ireland requesting help

LHD

Reaction score
Hi

I'm from Ireland and was given my Tello as a Christmas present. I've flown a few times without much success. I struggle to control it and either fly into walls or landed in a tree while I was outside.

Does anyone have any training videos or suggestions on controlling the Tello? Is it better to use the FPV app?

Thanks

Liam

Reactions: Terry and dirkclod
Are you flying close to home WiFi? Could be interfering with the drone,go to a nearby field or at least somewhere away from other WiFi signals,also you may be being too hamfisted with the controls,slow down and be gentle with your input, practice practice practice then buy something bigger and more capable ?

Welcome. When flying indoors, you need to have very good lighting for the VPS to work properly. If not, it's hard to control. As for outdoors, the Tello doesn't like the wind.

Reactions: martinpi2
Hi

I'm from Ireland and was given my Tello as a Christmas present. I've flown a few times without much success. I struggle to control it and either fly into walls or landed in a tree while I was outside.

Does anyone have any training videos or suggestions on controlling the Tello? Is it better to use the FPV app?

Thanks

Liam
Fly it indoor firs, You may need some space and good light inside. If you use the tello standard app, either Android or iPhone.

Use a bed as platform (soft landing place) in case somethin fails. Ensure that you enough light, tello won't take off or may start to drift. Just takeoff and land. make familar with the control pads. I you fly outside I would recommend days with no or low wind. Depends were you live in Ireland.

Meet me in Dublin before easter, my daughter will attend the World Irish Dancing Championships in 2020.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. Thumbswayup

Reactions: Mirek
Have you been successful, yet?
As said before, light is very important. Electromagnetic disturbance (other wifi's, railway,..) may cause problems, too. I sometimes fly in a nearby park next to an underground station where Tello behaves a little crazy. Not too bad.

Do you fly with the mobile alone, using the built-in controls?
When I try it, I fail. A friend who is a gamer does it very well, but I can't do that.

I use a gameSir T1d controller (the standard controller for Tello, doesn't work with anything else).
There are some other controllers which can be used, but I don't know which ones.
If you are into electronics, you could build your own controller like this one.

You can try the SDK with your PC. Type "takeoff", "up 50", "forward 50", and so on. Tello should stop and hover after every command, giving you time to think.

Anyway, Tello is extremely easy to fly (I don't mean to frustrate you) compared to cheaper quadrocopters which have no stabilisation.
When I started to do RC flying model aircrafts, I chose a model which is very easy to fly. And kept crashing. Everybody had good advice, but I had to find out myself.
I'm with you.

Reactions: Mirek and umanbean
My advice is this: Don't be too aggresive.
It takes time and patience to fly a drone. Tello, with is stability is easy to master. At first , do not give any full stick input and when looking at the stream, look at what is probaly 1m - 2m ahead .
When you realise tello is drifting, give partial input to the wind direction.
Lastly, check your propeller.
Fly well!

Reactions: umanbean
Welcome to the forum Liam. It's a great place for information and sharing your photos and videos. You seem to have been given some good advice by my esteemed colleagues ? so all I will say is have fun fly safe.

Reactions: umanbean
Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

I use the standard Tello app on my phone and think my problem is caused by trying to watch the Tello rather than the screen. Thus a simple instruction such as pressing forward often makes the Tello go in a different direction to the one I expected. I'll keep trying as the only way to improve is to keep practicing. I also plan to download the TelloFPV app to see if that will make it easier to fly - I believe it has an emergency 'return to home' button.

Reactions: Terry
I also struggled with it at first. I suggest flying it in C mode which is much easier to control with the reduced speed. I use the TelloFPV app which is great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv