Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Power supply for additinal components from Tello

Michael W

Reaction score
I would like to attach a Wi-Fi MCU with a sensor to my Tello drone and want to use the power supply of the Tello for that. The power consumption would be around 100mA.

If possible, I want to avoid using the pins on the board, where the battery gets plugged in, because it would be better to use a switched power supply so that the battery doesn't have to be removed after flying.
I performed some measurements of the USB port and it appears so, that this USB socket is enabled after the Tello is powered up. Unfortunately the power supply between VDC and ground pin seems to be dead. I measured 3.2VC between Data+ and shield/ ground pin, but this voltage can't be used to power up a micro controller. It is designed for data transfer and would make the MUC brown-out.

Does anyone know if the power supply of the usb socket of the Tello is enabled at some point? Can I grab a switched and stabilized 3.3VDC from some pins or components of the circuit board?

Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards
Michael

Just solder to the bottom of circuit board at the battery plug. But still I think you have a bigger problem. Tello max accessory weight is 40grams before it burns out the motors exponentially faster

Just solder to the bottom of circuit board at the battery plug. But still I think you have a bigger problem. Tello max accessory weight is 40grams before it burns out the motors exponentially faster

Thanks for your remark.
I'll use an ESP8266-01S Wi-Fi MCU, which weighs only around 6g and a BME680 environmental sensor, which is around 9g. So including wiring, I won't reach a payload over 40g.

You mean two of the four pins, where the inserted battery connects to the circuit board? That would had been my last option, because I want these two components powered off, when the Tello is powered off and supply them when the Tello is turned on with the power button.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv