Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Problem with firmware or something else

AndyMAX

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I bought a second-hand "tello" that needed to replace the engine. That's not the problem, although I don't know exactly what it is. I need to connect it in the application first.

However, I have a problem updating the firmware.

I have a new battery, fully charged on the external charger and after connecting in the APP I have the firmware ver. 0.0. When I try to update, it reports to me that the battery is less than 50% and cannot update. The battery is full. I've tried different scenarios by forum to turn it on and update, but I can't resolve this issue. When USB is connected to the drone, it only flashes green and turns off.

When switched on, it flashes green and after a while it turns into a steady red light. I will connect to wifi. Subsequently, no parameters are displayed as unconnected in the Tello application (battery status, etc.). But when you try to update it it takes as connected. I don't know if this is a problem, why it still detects a battery below 50% when trying to update.

Do you have an idea how to solve it?

The drone estimates battery charge based on its voltage.
If fully charged is shown as 50%, then either connection between battery and power controller (PMIC) has high resistance, or something within the drone consumes high power (there's a short?) which lowers voltage on the battery. Or the voltage measurement circuit is partially fried, but that's less likely.

Smart use of a multimeter should allow you to diagnose this problem.

Trying to flash firmware on a device with hardware issue is the best way to irreversibly brick your drone.

Last edited:
My solution:
1. charge the battery on the external charger
2. The Tello 1.6.0 app did not work, I installed the Tello Hero app (Iron man)
3. Launched the Tello Hero application
4. Launched Tello in reset mode (hold start button, insert battery, release button when green light flashes, red stays on, connected to wifi)
5. In the Tello Hero app I gave a firmware update
6. Started working!
7. In the Tello 1.6.0 app, it is now possible to update the firmware to the latest.

PS: relaunching the Tello Hero app will no longer connect Tello because it has already recognized the drone model (requires Iron man edition)

So it was a software problem. Interesting.

I see there are other threads here with similar issue, and same solution (though these suggest using older version of standard Tello app).

Thanks for sharing.

hi there, i had the same problem and i found the solution on the internet from a gut from Argentina: The real problem is the app, to update the firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 on android only (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv