Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Question - Xiaomi wifi repeater 2 versus Powerbank amp's output

Jet Lag

Reaction score
I use with the Xiaomi Mi Wi-Fi repeater 2 a Powerbank which was a Christmas offer in the company. It is a little weak and small.
I have checked into the Powerbank features that the output is 1amp but many of the Powerbanks that are on sale at present indicate a superior 2 amp amperage outup's.

My question is possibly a bit basic / crazy but here goes: this 1amp powerbank could damage the reach and quality of the video recorded on Tello?

Thank you

Reactions: LELET81
Normally it uses a 1 amp adapter, so using it on a 1 amp powerbank shouldn't be a problem. However, the battery lifetime will be short! You don't want the powerbank to run empty before you got your tello on the ground because you will lose control as soon as the powerbank is empty and the extender will shutdown ;)

Reactions: Jet Lag
OK thank you :)
As I have seen specs for the Wi-Fi repeater range from 0.5 to 2.0 Amp (power supply: 5V / 0.5A ~ 5V / 2A) I was thinking that a powerbank with only 1 Amp of output could be weak and the Wi-Fi signal is also weak, degrading the range and quality of the image.

Thank you!

I use with the Xiaomi Mi Wi-Fi repeater 2 a Powerbank which was a Christmas offer in the company. It is a little weak and small.
I have checked into the Powerbank features that the output is 1amp but many of the Powerbanks that are on sale at present indicate a superior 2 amp amperage outup's.

My question is possibly a bit basic / crazy but here goes: this 1amp powerbank could damage the reach and quality of the video recorded on Tello?

Thank you
That's an interesting question.

The Xiaomi description on Amazon shows this FAQ:
Q: Could the amplifier's power supply be replaced with a mobile phone charger?
A: It is recommended 5V / 0.5A ~ 5V / 2A adapter.

So a 1 amp powerbank should be fine.

I use a very small powerbank (I bought a cheap Yoobao 5200mAh off Amazon for about $7) and it can power the Extender forever since the extender draws so little power to operate.

But I do wonder if the extender would work better if I gave it 2A...

I'll try to test the extender using a wall plug that outputs at 2A to see if it improves the range vs my small power bank.

Reactions: LELET81 and Jet Lag
That's an interesting question.

The Xiaomi description on Amazon shows this FAQ:

So a 1 amp powerbank should be fine.

I use a very small powerbank (I bought a cheap Yoobao 5200mAh off Amazon for about $7) and it can power the Extender forever since the extender draws so little power to operate.

But I do wonder if the extender would work better if I gave it 2A...

I'll try to test the extender using a wall plug that outputs at 2A to see if it improves the range vs my small power bank.

After having done this post I read somewhere in the forum that someone was thinking of trying out a 2amp powerbank to see if it improved the range.

I have a voltage and amperage meter for usb's of this type
Screenshot_20180830-204307.jpg
I will try out how many amps it consumes connected to the 1amp powerbank and how many consumes connected to a 2.1 amp USB socket.
If it is the same for both cases then it should not make any difference. The only problem is that I can not find the meter in the middle of all my junk... : | :)

Reactions: Tuba
After having done this post I read somewhere in the forum that someone was thinking of trying out a 2amp powerbank to see if it improved the range.

I have a voltage and amperage meter for usb's of this type

I will try out how many amps it consumes connected to the 1amp powerbank and how many consumes connected to a 2.1 amp USB socket.
If it is the same for both cases then it should not make any difference. The only problem is that I can not find the meter in the middle of all my junk... : | :)

You got me thinking. I don't have a USB gauge but I do have the Ampere app.

I know it's not super accurate but here is a screenshot using the PowerBank:

PowerBank Screenshot_2018-08-30-18-45-29.pngAnd here is a screenshot using a wall outlet charger with Quickcharge:
Wall Charger Screenshot_2018-08-30-18-49-11.png

Reactions: Beire and Jet Lag
Interesting! As I understand it, you're testing how many amp's the phone "uses" when being charged by powerbank versus fast charger, is that correct?
In this case we can conclude that regardless of the amp's of the charger, the mobile phone only uses the amp's for which it was designed, I think.

I have to find my USB meter and test with the Wi-Fi repeater. When I do, I'll tell you what the result was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv