Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Range extender only for USB?

SpaceDoc

Reaction score
The DJI range extender has only a USB CONNECTOR. It can only be used on a computer. Is there an extender that works with a tablet or smart phone?

Reactions: threqtrporter
First I've heard of a range extender by DJI.

Wifi extenders I have heard of that work, of course, work on USB... that way you can run them on a usb power pack anywhere you go.

There are plenty of AC-powered Wi-Fi extenders, but then you would have to have an inverter in your vehicle or some other way to power it.

Reactions: ZWActual
@umanbean is correct. That has been the consensus on this board for DC or AC powered extenders. Further, perhaps you mean the Xiaomi extender that's discussed repeatedly here when you say DJI extender.

Power banks are cheap and ubiquitous. However, if you're still committed to powering off a phone or tablet, you can use an OTG cable/adapter off of those devices to act as a host. It should supply power to the extender which sips current (tested @ < 0.2A).

Reactions: umanbean
So the USB only provides power? It doesn’t communicate with tablet settings or app?

There are (at least) 2 types of USB Wi-Fi devices.
  • USB Wi-Fi adapter - for laptops or other computers that don't have Wi-Fi built-in. These connect to an existing Wi-Fi router or hotspot and give the host computer Wi-Fi connectivity
  • USB Wi-Fi repeater/extender - runs off USB power supply and extends the range of an existing Wi-Fi router to a device that already has Wi-Fi connectivity - this is what you'll need for your Tello

The DJI range extender has only a USB CONNECTOR. It can only be used on a computer. Is there an extender that works with a tablet or smart phone?
The Xiaomi extender I have uses the USB connector for the power bank. Whenever it’s connected, you simply connect to the WiFi.

Hi guys I use a usb adapter to connect my mi wifi extender to my phone (s8) which is connected to a gamesir t1s. No problems at all. Getting a power bank soon though.

Attachments

• 20190913_150736.jpg
    20190913_150736.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 34
@Kozzyt

The extender/repeater is phone agnostic. Just requires 5VDC/USB power.

One of many threads to setup via a power bank:

@BluRey11 is using an USB C to USB A (OTG) adapter to supply power from the host (S8) to the extender.

@Kozzyt

The extender/repeater is phone agnostic. Just requires 5VDC/USB power.

One of many threads to setup via a power bank:

@BluRey11 is using an USB C to USB A (OTG) adapter to supply power from the host (S8) to the extender.
Thanks. Will look into it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv