Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Red LED

chaos

Reaction score
My drone is has not been used for a while. I wanted to use it but when I tried to charge it, it flashed green one time and then red three times in about 2 seconds. Some site said I need to update the firmware, but the drone is not charged and therefore cannot connect to my phone and update my firmware. Is the drone just broken or something else?

Try this, it will work.

"hi there, i had the same problem and i came up with the solution. The real problem is the app, to update te firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.
sorry about my inglish i´m from argent"

Reactions: Bobcat
Try this, it will work.

"hi there, i had the same problem and i came up with the solution. The real problem is the app, to update te firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.
sorry about my inglish i´m from argent"
Thk U for this post ! It's a quote from previous posts and indeed it's a valuable one.
Yet, I feel worth mentioning that after you follow the procedure or steps described above in your message you will definitely have :
>1. an updated "Tello" application from the drone manufacturer
>2. the latest firmware (official too) downloaded by the application from an internet server to your device (smartphone) but - and it is important - but not installed yet to the Tello drone.
>3. When you start installing the new firmware with the app. to the Tello drone ... this is when the ball stops rolling if (big if) the battery is drained excessively. Actually the app does tell you > if battery less than 50% charge firmware install will fail !
Then you're back to square one with a drone that DOES'NT CHARGE. > NEW BATT Needed !

Thk U for this post ! It's a quote from previous posts and indeed it's a valuable one.
Yet, I feel worth mentioning that after you follow the procedure or steps described above in your message you will definitely have :
>1. an updated "Tello" application from the drone manufacturer
>2. the latest firmware (official too) downloaded by the application from an internet server to your device (smartphone) but - and it is important - but not installed yet to the Tello drone.
>3. When you start installing the new firmware with the app. to the Tello drone ... this is when the ball stops rolling if (big if) the battery is drained excessively. Actually the app does tell you > if battery less than 50% charge firmware install will fail !
Then you're back to square one with a drone that DOES'NT CHARGE. > NEW BATT Needed !
Hi, yes, it was a quote, because it worked and works for me. If I were to do it the way you described, it definitely wouldn't work. It incorrectly shows the battery level as discharged, because it is not discharged that way. Unfortunately, you cannot download an older version from an official site, even though that is the solution. The older version doesn't say the battery is dead because it isn't. If you download an older version and update Tello with it, it works like that, it doesn't say that the battery is dead, and then you can update the application to the latest version. That's how it works for me too! The battery is not bad!!! It indicates it incorrectly!

Hi, yes, it was a quote, because it worked and works for me. If I were to do it the way you described, it definitely wouldn't work. It incorrectly shows the battery level as discharged, because it is not discharged that way. Unfortunately, you cannot download an older version from an official site, even though that is the solution. The older version doesn't say the battery is dead because it isn't. If you download an older version and update Tello with it, it works like that, it doesn't say that the battery is dead, and then you can update the applicaton to the latest version. That's how it works for me too! The battery is not bad!!! It indicates it incorrectly!
Thanks for pointing out that the App needed is definitely v.1.1.1 !
Which as you know and say cannot be uploade anymore from an official site .
Any hint as where to get it ? I'd appreciate and I'm sure many others would

Thanks for pointing out that the App needed is definitely v.1.1.1 !
Which as you know and say cannot be uploade anymore from an official site .
Any hint as where to get it ? I'd appreciate and I'm sure many others would
I'm happy to help, I've been helped here too. v.1.1.1 didn't work for me. For me, v.1.3.0.0. it was good, it worked. I downloaded this for myself, I have it, I'll be happy to send it to you if I know of any way. Then you delete your Tello application and install this one. But to be able to install this from an external location, you also need an Appinstaller application, it can install it from an external source.

I'm happy to help, I've been helped here too. v.1.1.1 didn't work for me. For me, v.1.3.0.0. it was good, it worked. I downloaded this for myself, I have it, I'll be happy to send it to you if I know of any way. Then you delete your Tello application and install this one. But to be able to install this from an external location, you also need an Appinstaller application, it can install it from an external source.
Hello,
Sorry for this very late reply. I had to put aside the Tello for some time ...
Yet, thank you for the advice and the offer to forward the proper app if/when need be.
I'll look into this again and revert with a status. Though I believe flying the little Tello again with a new battery won't hurt ...
Thks again.

It's okay that you replied late, you did it. I just want to help if I can. A new battery doesn't hurt, you can try buying a new one. I think the problem will be the same, but let me know if it's solved or not. It was the same for me, I wanted to buy a battery because it said it was bad, but after the update there is no problem with the battery.

It's okay that you replied late, you did it. I just want to help if I can. A new battery doesn't hurt, you can try buying a new one. I think the problem will be the same, but let me know if it's solved or not. It was the same for me, I wanted to buy a battery because it said it was bad, but after the update there is no problem with the battery.
Hello Zsosi,
You're my hero !
You were totally right indeed.
I did buy a new battery and as you suspected it did'nt change anything to the problem !
Hopefully, I found a safe and sound site to upload an older version of original "Tello" software for Android. For info : ver 1.4.0 APK.
Installed it (after deletion of the "current" official version from RYZE of course).
Then I followed step by step your now famous salvatory protocol ... BINGO ! It WORKED perfectly.

Again, many many thanks. Its great to have people like you around on this forum.

I believe the admins should post your solution message as a "sticky" on the HELP SECTION of the forum.
From what I see, hundreds of Tello users experienced that very same infuriating incident.
I do not understand how RYZE can walk away from that problem which is clearly the result of a glitch in the "current" application.
Obviously DJI has much more advanced drones to market but RYZE Tello being some sort of introductory lead-in quad-copter to their brand, I think they should keep a leash on RYZE and help with small problems like this bug.

Have a great week-end. Thank you

P.S : I hesitate very much now to update the app to a newer version ?! Your advice ?
I'm thinking of switching completely to TELLO FPV (from VolaTello)

Hi Bobcat!
I am happy to help you and others, I was helped on this forum too, at least I tried what was written here and it worked. That's why I dared to recommend this to you. I'm glad that you managed to solve the problem and that yours is finally working again! The extra battery is not a problem, as you can fly the little Tello longer. Wasn't it a good feeling after you did all that description and then the Tello worked?! It would be good if this information reached more people, because I'm sure many people are sad that the drone doesn't work. Yes, this solution should be placed in a place where many people can find it and it helps many people.
I would upgrade the Tello. Anyway, the problem was that the Tello was flying again after a long time, and it didn't work. The problem didn't come after the update.
Once again, I'm glad I could help you and you're happy again, Tello.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv