Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

SDK 3.0 for Tello EDU

Thanks for the hint, i was aware of that discussion, but as it is very old by now i decided not to attend to.
I mainly had some troubles with my standalone bought Extension Module to upgrade my Tello EDUs, as it was absolute not possible to change the wifi channel to other than 169, 148 or all on the 2.4ghz Band. I found out that my procedure only helped with a Robomaster TT bundle
where i did it with 8 Robomasters TT drones without any issues.
For any interested persons, i like to share my first try on a 4 RMTT Animation. A 8 RMTT version is in the making but for now i have some difficulties in logic thinking to get it right :-( But i try on. It would be any easier if i could purchase one of those "Flight Maps" the manual talks about, but there is absolutely no person or shop that can deliver :-(

Reactions: martinpi
The Tello only has a 2.4 GHz WiFi module.

The RMTT expansion module has also a seperate 5 GHz module (the ESP32 also supports only 2.4 GHz). So you must find a way to configure the RMTT expansion using 2.4 GHz or a 5.GHz channel supported by your laptop. The approach described by @Darksmile should do the trick.
Yes thank you. Darksmile's method worked for me.

For any interested persons, i like to share my first try on a 4 RMTT Animation. A 8 RMTT version is in the making but for now i have some difficulties in logic thinking to get it right :-( But i try on. It would be any easier if i could purchase one of those "Flight Maps" the manual talks about, but there is absolutely no person or shop that can deliver :-(
As you may have seen, I went through this phase as well (including the search for such a flight map): My Take on Multi-Tello Drone Formations

You can contact me via PN for further details. I am located in the same country as you ;-)

Last edited:
I like the "motoron" / "motoroff" commads - they're good for cooling the drone when it's on the ground while I'm testing a program.
:cool:
I have seen it.
This has been available before, just send "rc -100 -100 -100 100" (like pulling both sticks down and inward) to turn the motors on.
And "land" will stop the motors.

Having the motors spin while you sit and think prevents Tello from overheating.

That's not criticism, just mentioning it. Thanks for the hint, I might upgrade my EDU, too.

To be precise: It's firmware v02.05.01.17.
SDK 3.0 can only be used, if at least this firmware is installed.

I have seen it.
This has been available before, just send "rc -100 -100 -100 100" (like pulling both sticks down and inward) to turn the motors on.
And "land" will stop the motors.

Having the motors spin while you sit and think prevents Tello from overheating.

That's not criticism, just mentioning it. Thanks for the hint, I might upgrade my EDU, too.
Meanwhile I have a TT.
The "motoron" command sets the speed of the propellers lower than I did with "rc -100 -100 -100 100" and followed by "rc 0 0 0 0" .

I got response from Ryze support. You can switch between forward and downward facing camera with the folllowing commands (requires firmware v02.05.01.17):

downvision 1 (switches the video stream down)
downvision 0 (switches video streaming back to the forward view)

It is currently not possibly to get both camera streams at the same time.
How to do it in app ??

Hi has anyone run the EXT led command in SDK 3.0 with Python?

Current attempt is <command led .., type EXT> == set LED to Green
def set_led(self, r: str, g: str, b: str, tello: Union[int, str]='All', sync: bool=False) -> None:
""" Set the Tello's top LED to colour (r,g,b) """
self._command('led %s %s %s' % (r, g, b), 'EXT', tello, sync)
Result:
[Command 192.168.86.20]Sent cmd: led 0 255 0
[Response 192.168.86.20]Invalid command_type: EXT
[Response 192.168.86.20]Received: unknown command: led

Previous attempt was <command EXT led ... type Set> == set LED to RED
def set_led(self, r: str, g: str, b: str, tello: Union[int, str]='All', sync: bool=False) -> None:
""" Set the Tello's top LED to colour (r,g,b) """
self._command('EXT led %s %s %s' % (r, g, b), 'Set', tello, sync)
Result:
[Command 192.168.86.20]Sent cmd: EXT led 255 0 0
[Response 192.168.86.20]Received: unknown command: EXT

Anyone have Python code example to perform this?

thanks
Merv

This requires the Tello Talent Expansion Kit. This has a LED matrix and a top LED. The commands you mentioned control this top LED. You have no access to Tello's built-in front LED through the SDK.

I've upgraded my Tello EDU to the firmware v02.05.01.17 (released 2021-05-18) and found out that now it reports that the version of the SDK is 3.0. Some new interesting and useful commands are available now not only for Tello Talent, but for Tello EDU as well.
You may read about them in the manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/RoboMaster+TT/Tello_SDK_3.0_User_Guide_en.pdf
I've tried some of them using the Tello gem for the Ruby programming language.
Hi Mike,
Can you please tell me how to setup a tello talent to use SDK 3?
Regards,
Mark

There is not much to set up. Just make sure, that your Tello Talent also has latest firmware and then it supports all of the SDK 3.0 functionality.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply! I have the latest firmware on my Tello Talent.
I have the current below code working:

from droneblocks.DroneBlocksTello import DroneBlocksTello
import time

tello = DroneBlocksTello()
tello.connect()
power = tello.get_battery()
print("Power Level: ", power, "%")
tello.takeoff()
time.sleep(3)
tello.land()

I can't get any of the SDK3 commands to work like:
tello.right(100)
tello.back(100)
tello.forward(100)
tello.left(100)
I have tried others with no success. I did the pip3 install which was successful. When I try and execute the above commands I get warning commands not available.

Do I need to import more modules?
Regards,
Mark

Hi Mike,
Sorry if this is redundant but wasn't sure if I submitted my reply.
I have installed the latest firmware on my Tello Talent (Red version with LED display).
I have the following code working from the subLime Text editor.

from droneblocks.DroneBlocksTello import DroneBlocksTello
import time

tello = DroneBlocksTello()
tello.connect()
power = tello.get_battery()
print("Power Level: ", power, "%")
tello.takeoff()
time.sleep(3)
tello.land()

I can't get any of the SDK3 commands to work like:
tello.right(100)
tello.back(100)
tello.forward(100)
tello.left(100)

I have tried others with no success. I did the pip3 install which was successful. When I try and execute the above commands I get warning commands not available.

Are there any more libraries I need to import? Thank you.
Regards,
Mark

I recommend djitellopy library. On their GitHub repository you find also examples and the link to the API reference documentation.

(BTW: I am not Mike ;-) )

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv