Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Sensor problems or I do not know what problem is ...

Results are in from my latest test. If the VPS is covered the tello flies as it should in atti mode. However the YAW issue is still exactly the same. Maybe even a little better but I need more testing to confirm this. It is so random to pin down. If yours is just crashing it is prb. unrelated. Did you change a props and accidentally put the wrong one on? Otherwise it can be many things....props may look ok but if you have a set try it.

but the propellers are well placed, is that it is done sideways but not very fast if not slow, the problem is that it is there when the drone does not answer the phone, someone knows where could get the spare sensors?

There is nothing I can find for the specific sensor the TELLO uses. Has anyone done a teardown of the base that has photos to identify them?

I need to see any identifiers, probably the reverse of the ir sensors. Will look into this some more tomorrow. :)

Reactions: Th3DroneroGT
There is a couple of issues mixed up here:

First, tello seems to have some sort of "save" mode. Whenever it is (or thinks it is) below 1.5-2m tello has very limited angles for pitch & roll. It becomes sluggish as hell.

This gets even worse as Tello gets really low. When doing an autolanding on disconnect: Tello will hover in place for about 1 minute, then descend to about 30cm, then hover in place until it runs out of battery and finally lands by itself. Now with the extremely reduced pitch & roll angles at 30cm altitude it can't fight even the slightest wind and drifts its own prop wash and turbulence.
So whenever you lose connection and can't reconnect Tello sooner or later always crashes into the next obstacle, or you have to run after it. I almost lost my first Tello because it descended on a beach, could not hover in place in total calm conditions and slowly drifted over water.

This is in my opinion an ill conceived "safety feature" to make Tello a safe indoor drone and to make Tello land "level" so it doesn't land at an angle when fighting winds. In my view this idea was the brain child of some product manager who hasn't left his cubicle for months and needs some fresh air. If Ryze reads this I might get a ban on some forums, but I'm really /&!/&%"§§$ lets say "upset" by this feature

Second, when taking off in slow mode (videomode for TelloFpv) Tello is a very quick and responsive drone. Just try for yourself. Take off and use the sticks right away. You will see the electronic image stabilization fails if you are too rough with the sticks. If you release the
After 10 seconds it starts to behave differently: It reacts a bit slower to changes in roll & pitch and has way lower attitude angles so slows down significantly. If you release the sticks it will continue to fly in the same direction for almost half a second, the level but continue to drift, then after another half a second it counters the movement and stops.
This stupid behaviour was the initial spark for the "panic" / Stop button on TeloFpv. No clue hat they were thinking, I consider video mode pretty dangerous the way it is unless you have plenty of room.

Third, I have seen a few reports of yaw becoming slow for no obvious reason. Fixed by land & takeoff. This appears to be a bug in my view.

I have seen reports for these problems for all apps including IPhone app. All this is firmware, not related to a particular app or sensor issues. Number 1 an 2 are ill conceived "features" that somebody actively implemented with som effort. #3 seems like a bug.

I can only suggest all of you to go to the FB groups, both the official ryze one and the large alternatives which are also monitored by Ryze/DJI staff, and complain in clear words about these ill conceived "features". Be persistent when "Ryze Bess" gives her typical phrase that she is handing it over to "dev".
If I were a normal customer I'd certainly loudly complain about this nonsense. However I can't, I have to behave nice as I am guest in their group.

First, tello seems to have some sort of "save" mode. Whenever it is (or thinks it is) below 1.5-2m tello has very limited angles for pitch & roll. It becomes sluggish as hell.

This gets even worse as Tello gets really low. When doing an autolanding on disconnect: Tello will hover in place for about 1 minute, then descend to about 30cm, then hover in place until it runs out of battery and finally lands by itself. Now with the extremely reduced pitch & roll angles at 30cm altitude it can't fight even the slightest wind and drifts its own prop wash and turbulence.
So whenever you lose connection and can't reconnect Tello sooner or later always crashes into the next obstacle, or you have to run after it. I almost lost my first Tello because it descended on a beach, could not hover in place in total calm conditions and slowly drifted over water.

This is in my opinion an ill conceived "safety feature" to make Tello a safe indoor drone and to make Tello land "level" so it doesn't land at an angle when fighting winds. In my view this idea was the brain child of some product manager who hasn't left his cubicle for months and needs some fresh air. If Ryze reads this I might get a ban on some forums, but I'm really /&!/&%"§§$ lets say "upset" by this feature

Second, when taking off in slow mode (videomode for TelloFpv) Tello is a very quick and responsive drone. Just try for yourself. Take off and use the sticks right away. You will see the electronic image stabilization fails if you are too rough with the sticks. If you release the
After 10 seconds it starts to behave differently: It reacts a bit slower to changes in roll & pitch and has way lower attitude angles so slows down significantly. If you release the sticks it will continue to fly in the same direction for almost half a second, the level but continue to drift, then after another half a second it counters the movement and stops.
This stupid behaviour was the initial spark for the "panic" / Stop button on TeloFpv. No clue hat they were thinking, I consider video mode pretty dangerous the way it is unless you have plenty of room.

Third, I have seen a few reports of yaw becoming slow for no obvious reason. Fixed by land & takeoff. This appears to be a bug in my view.

I have seen reports for these problems for all apps including IPhone app. All this is firmware, not related to a particular app or sensor issues. Number 1 an 2 are ill conceived "features" that somebody actively implemented with som effort. #3 seems like a bug.

I can only suggest all of you to go to the FB groups, both the official ryze one and the large alternatives which are also monitored by Ryze/DJI staff, and complain in clear words about these ill conceived "features". Be persistent when "Ryze Bess" gives her typical phrase that she is handing it over to "dev".
If I were a normal customer I'd certainly loudly complain about this nonsense. However I can't, I have to behave nice as I am guest in their group.

It is a disappointment I think that the firmware control and technical support would have been left to DJI and not to Ryze, the ryze support in general is bad, whenever I tell them a problem the first thing that comes to me is with the "compatibility of the telefono "then I tell them the phone and instead of saying" we are going to work to give support to that phone "the only thing they say is" your phone is not bearable for us "I the truth once I got mad at them and I was specific and I said, "Look, I'm not a millionaire to buy new phones just to tell me that, and if I bought a better phone I bought a DJI drone that would be useful", look at what date we are, almost 1 year that the Ryze Tello went out to the public and still remains a big disappointment with the firmware, but not even the spark that the main problem was with the control of gestures and they fixed it fast.

Reactions: Guorium
It is a disappointment I think that the firmware control and technical support would have been left to DJI and not to Ryze, the ryze support in general is bad, whenever I tell them a problem the first thing that comes to me is with the "compatibility of the telefono "then I tell them the phone and instead of saying" we are going to work to give support to that phone "the only thing they say is" your phone is not bearable for us "I the truth once I got mad at them and I was specific and I said, "Look, I'm not a millionaire to buy new phones just to tell me that, and if I bought a better phone I bought a DJI drone that would be useful", look at what date we are, almost 1 year that the Ryze Tello went out to the public and still remains a big disappointment with the firmware, but not even the spark that the main problem was with the control of gestures and they fixed it fast.

I have no clue what part is Ryze and what is DJI. All I know is its in the firmware whoever built it.

Don't forget Spark most likely shares lots of firmware fragments with larger drones and you can fund much better development, QA, and support with bigger more expensive drones. For a $100 toy this is amazing.

They just have made a few ill conceived decisions.

Regarding compatibility problems: They made a few design decisions in the beginning that they now can't revert without loosing a good part of their investment in the app. Which they just can't easily do without loosing a lot of investment.
Don't forget that unlike this little TelloFpv one-man-show they have to pay their product managers, designers, developers, testers, project leads, etc so an app like TelloFpv would cost well north of 200k to develop in a western country (no clue about current Chinese cost base)

Reactions: Guorium
I think the environment also plays a role in strange behavior. Fly to low and propwash can disturb dust and all sort of things and confuse the life out of sensors. I recently flew indoors during daytime with no poems until I flew through a kitchen with fluorescent lights and the drone suddenly became confused for a while with low light warning and yawing left and right. It only happen in that one place. With tello fpv the effects is not so bad compared with stock app. So maybe try and see if there is a difference in behavior in different areas.

Can you explain number 2 abit more? The drift for 1 sec then braking after releasing stick, I thought is normal? It does make flying in tight space risky, in fact I crashed into trees near my home twice doing obstacle course. Did tello have near instant braking before?

Also, very well said and I have been persistently asking Ryze to investigate these propblems. Need more people to do it! The think the user base don’t care enough about this drone’s glaring issues sometimes. I don’t see many people report issues in the public and as a result very little help helpful discussions occur.

Reactions: umanbean
The 1 second "tilt, drift, stop" delay after releasing the sticks is normal for tello but not desireable. It should be at least configurable (time from stick release to start of automatic hover)

This handling seems to be an afterthought because it is only activated about 10s after takeoff. During these initial 10s you can experience what Tello could be like, you just need to be quick.

As to complaining at Ryze. If you knew how support is structured in larger companies you would not bother to call them.
The _only_ option to get these issues sorted out is by complaining loud, clear and publiclyvisible. That is in the official Ryze owned FB group and also in the other major Tello and DJI FB groups, and DJI forums. Not in some sub-comment to a comment but in first line posts.

are u flying low to some surface below. under about 1.1m. the firmware applies a speed limit. ryze support told me it is for safety. it is annoying as tello can get blown away easily on takeoff or landing. try flying higher to confirm if this is your problem.
I can confirm flying near the ground (appx. <3 ft) will slow yaw, pitch and roll as if the Tello was in the "Slow" mode.

I can confirm flying near the ground (appx. <3 ft) will slow yaw, pitch and roll as if the Tello was in the "Slow" mode.
ikr, actually it is slower than slow mode. I lower tello in slow mode and I still see a noticeable change in agility of the craft.

@volate!lo Ok I will test that. Definitely not enough people complaining about issues in the first line. I have done so in dji forum and official fb group, not sure what the other tello fb group is called?

Problems with the VPS again, lubricate the tello engines today and then the truth scares me a lot because when I turned it on I said error 74, I managed to solve it but the problem is that in the TELLOFpv app I see that the vps is inactive all the time, why is that? : /

The 1 second "tilt, drift, stop" delay after releasing the sticks is normal for tello but not desireable. It should be at least configurable (time from stick release to start of automatic hover)
This is why I use sport mode inside and just dial in a lot of expo... 50-70+

Its easy to control but when you let go of the sticks it stops quick. I leave rate at 100 so outside just turn expo down to about 30 and zip around. Also if you use on-screen sticks, it's better to make them bigger but not too much

Last edited:
Problems with the VPS again, lubricate the tello engines today and then the truth scares me a lot because when I turned it on I said error 74, I managed to solve it but the problem is that in the TELLOFpv app I see that the vps is inactive all the time, why is that? : /
I have seen error 74 a couple of times, but it always cleared itself after a few seconds on a flat surface.

As for the VPS inactive:
There is three reasons why its shown: First VPS is truly off. Second: no VPS data is arriving (happens on long distance flights). Third TelloFpv can't read the data.
#3 happens if you used the Ryze App before starting TelloFpv. Some functions of the Ryze app cause the VPS datastream to become out of synch.
The latest version 1.06 solves this, still in beta test but will get promoted soon.

This handling seems to be an afterthought because it is only activated about 10s after takeoff. During these initial 10s you can experience what Tello could be like, you just need to be quick.

As to complaining at Ryze. If you knew how support is structured in larger companies you would not bother to call them.
The _only_ option to get these issues sorted out is by complaining loud, clear and publiclyvisible. That is in the official Ryze owned FB group and also in the other major Tello and DJI FB groups, and DJI forums. Not in some sub-comment to a comment but in first line posts.

I realize I'm referencing a very old response, but has there been any resolution to the issue of controls changing after 10 seconds?

Initially, I thought it was a problem with my drone. The controls during the first 10 seconds are outstanding. Is there any way to modify this behavior?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv