Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Shut down on impact?

Nola

Reaction score
So my tello arrived and I've been getting to know it in the house....I noticed the motors cut out on impact...this is positive or negative depending on the situation obviously.....I decided to take the tello into my back yard last night and see how the xiaomi was working....there was no wind at all.....took it up above my roof line, and a gust of wind blew it towards a tree in my yard.....I panicked a bit and tried to bank it away from the tree but ended up banking the wrong direction and actuallly pushed it into the tree....lol.....oops.....the prop guards hung up on some small branches/twigs.....so it was about 40 feet up....I tried knocking it out with a ball for about 30 mins....didn't work....got dark so I thought screw it....wind had started to pick up, so I hoped it blow out.....well this morning it had...was on the ground....1 lost prop, 1 minor damage prop, and 2 broken prop guards.....both minor.....replaced both props, crazy glued both guards....all is well.....I will be ordering a couple more sets of props and guards...lol......anyway this brings me to my question.....I was unable to start motors as I was getting the tilt message.....in this case being able to manually fire the motors may have helped dislodge tello from the tree( t also may have made it more tangled or caused more serious damage I suppose), so my question is, can you manually start motors somehow....even if it's sensors are reporting tilt?

Cheers

EDIT IOS, and stock app

Last edited:
.....the prop guards hung up on some small branches/twigs.....

Lesson learned: don't fly with prop guards.

The firmware would not allow start of motors. Had you started the blocked motors they would be burned out anyway.

Reactions: xcrost
Lesson learned: don't fly with prop guards.

The firmware would not allow start of motors. Had you started the blocked motors they would be burned out anyway.

My thought was it would be good to practice with it a while with guards on.....perhaps not

Guards off outside and also watch the weather condition. Don’t fly tello when it is close to 28.8kph of wind or potential gusts higher than that. Normally tello is quite wind resistant. Also I would stay away from trees altogether when it is windy.

Guards off outside and also watch the weather condition. Don’t fly tello when it is close to 28.8kph of wind or potential gusts higher than that. Normally tello is quite wind resistant. Also I would stay away from trees altogether when it is windy.
Yes! Prop guards on inside, off outside!

Reactions: Nola

Thanks for the advice......il use it.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice......il use it.

Cheers
I have a telescoping pole that goes from 5' to 10'.
Step 1 climb tree with pole collapsed.
Step 2 extend pole and free tello! :)
A much easier way is if you know someone with a drone, attach fishing line to it, fly over tello then pull larger rope over...
Tello CAN still get stuck without prop guards trust me ;)

A much easier way is if you know someone with a drone, attach fishing line to it, fly over tello then pull larger rope over...
It kinda has to be a rock to be not stuck on any trees.

Lol....I was planning on going to Home Depot and buying a pole that extends to 20' freeing tello, and then returning the pole.....happily the wind freed tello for me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv