Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Station mode and sockets

clydemcqueen

Reaction score
Website
github.com
Has anybody worked with 2+ Tello EDU (SDK 2.0) drones in "station mode" (sharing a single access point)?

A few questions:

1. Presumably the drones use DHCP to get new IP addresses. How does the controller discover the assigned IP addresses?

2. Do all of the drones send video packets to controller:11111 and state packets to controller:8890? I suppose these can be distinguished by the drone IP.

Thanks.

Update: I got the "ap" command to work on a single EDU drone, and I'm able to put the drone into SDK mode and get telemetry data on port 8890. However, I'm not receiving video packets on port 11111.

Using wireshark, I do see occasional UDP packets arriving on port 8899. The payload is 12 bytes, but I'm not sure how to interpret them.

Anybody get video to work in this mode?

Thanks.

I think station mode is for swarm programming. Am I right? Then there should be a way to send broadcast commands to all the drones that are connected to the same AP...

I think station mode is for swarm programming. Am I right? Then there should be a way to send broadcast commands to all the drones that are connected to the same AP...

There's no broadcast capability that I know of. For most swarm use cases each drone needs unique instructions, so this isn't a big limitation.

In my case, I'm using the video stream from each drone to do precise localization using fiducial markers. Video streaming isn't supported in station mode, so I've been getting around this by using multiple Raspberry Pi computers and UDP packet forwarding. UDP forwarding code here: clydemcqueen/udp_forward

There's no broadcast capability that I know of. For most swarm use cases each drone needs unique instructions, so this isn't a big limitation.

In my case, I'm using the video stream from each drone to do precise localization using fiducial markers. Video streaming isn't supported in station mode, so I've been getting around this by using multiple Raspberry Pi computers and UDP packet forwarding. UDP forwarding code here: clydemcqueen/udp_forward
Thanks for a useful hint! :cool:

I am looking for the reason why I am not able to reveice video stream from port 11111 when drone is down statation mode until I see your reply by Ryze……

Any updates on this situation?

For current and future readers of this thread, I emailed Ryze directly around July last year asking them what their current plans were and this was the response:

Thanks for reaching Ryze!

Please kindly note that the camera stream can be received in the AP mode only but not the station mode.
dji-sdk/Tello-Python

Also, there is no plan about the supported in station mode for the being time.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Regards,

So yeah, in Swarm mode/ station mode, you cannot receive images annoyingly and they're not going to do anything about it! I expect this may be a business decision :mad: and they decided to software lock it

Im unfortunately going to have to say that using multiple raspi pi's may be your best bet! You may be able to get away with just using DJI Tellos instead of /with the Edu's in that case as well!

I succeeded in obtaining the video while flying in formation this way.
I've been looking for a way to do it, so it's helpful.
Thank you very much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843