Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Step by Step Setup for Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2 Amplifier (increases distance up to 550+ ft!)

I've successfully set up the repeater (able to connect to the Wifi_Plus network and the Tello camera view comes up in the app, so I know the repeater is working). I'm using this with the iOS Tello app.

When I take off, though, I find the app is still limiting me to the 10 meter height. Even though I'm pushing the stick up, it won't let me get above that height. Is there any setting I need to change?

I don't know the iOS version, but the Android one has such setting -- you can set the ceiling from 2 to 30m. Should be in settings (gearwheel icon) > more, IIRC. It's a new addition, though -- there was 10m ceiling before and third-party apps were needed to modify it.

I can't find the setting in my app just now, so maybe you have to be connected to Tello to see it.

I just had the Tello out and went through all the settings and didn't see anything to change the height restriction. The wifi repeater definitely works, I could get much more horizontal range today than I did a few days ago before I set up the repeater. I'd just like to get more height so I can get above some trees.

Might have to pick up a cheap Android phone so I can hook up a controller OTG and maybe do a VR setup.

Here it is in Android app, but (I have just confirmed) only when connected to Tello. But yesterday I tried to set limit to 2m for flying indoors and it apparently did not work, Tello climbed to 2.5m and hit my office ceiling :/

Zrzut_ekranu_20181204_001-1.png

It took several attempts entering the password to get it to take. In fact, the Tello powered off during the process. When I turned it back on, the password was accepted right away. I did the setup on an iPad mini 2, then once it was working, connected with an android phone. Didn't have to enter the password with the android. Both work.

Quick and unproofed text step by step process below for those that don't want to deal with YouTube being drawn out, although I got a little wordy. Took me two attempts to get working but it's working incredibly well and has extended the range more than I expected for $12.

1.) Use a Ryze Tello that you've got working in the official Tello app without the Repeater to ensure standard functionality. Make note of your max height and distance.

2.) Connect a controller if you have one which I highly recommend.

3.) Rename your Tello WiFi network to something without a dash or any special characters in the Official Tello App. I simply used "Tello" to make life easy. To change WiFi name and set password go to the Tello App/Settings(Gear Icon in App)/WiFi. Press enter on keyboard after each entry to confirm entry. After second "enter" command you should get prompted with a popup.

4.) Set a password for your renamed Tello WiFi network for best compatibility with Mi Home App, it doesn’t love unsecure networks. I used eight zero's to ensure I hit the character limit. "00000000"

5.) Use a Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2 Amplifier. I purchased this "version" although most are the same from what I can tell.

6.) Install the "Mi Home" app from your App Store, I'm on Android. Not sure about iOS.

7.) Sign up for Mi Home account in app and login. Unfortunately it’s required to use the App. I use a throwaway/spam email account for any questionable apps like this one. The less you put your real phone number and/or real email out there the less spam email/calls you have to deal with! :)

8.) Change Region to Mainland China or Other in Profile/Settings/Region in the MiHome app.

9.) Plug Repeater into USB power source. I use a battery pack that sticks out of my pocket with the Repeater facing up. This way if wind takes the drone I can follow it around any obstructions to keep control with the Repeater on me. You can also use a USB OTG to your phone to power the repeater if you don’t like the idea of a battery pack, but that’s also bulky.

10.) Get your Repeater connected to your phone once in the MiHome app. Found it easiest to connect to the Repeaters default WiFi network then use device discovery in the MiHome app.

a) Alternatively you can select the Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2 Amplifier from the device list in the App add device section.(this is why you change the Region)

11.) During setup process for Repeater you will turn your Tello drone on then connect Repeater to your Tello WiFI network. Once it is connected the Tello LED will start to blink more rapidly and the Repeater LED goes solid Blue from Yellow.

12.) Connect your phone/tablet to the WiFIName_Plus WiFi network. In my case it is “Tello_plus”.

13.) Open the Tello app. If your drone FPV is showing on your screen you have successfully setup your Repeater!

13.) Enjoy vastly improved range and practically perfect FPV camera feed!

Measured 550+ feet range today flying away from myself and 100ft directly above myself. The antennas seem to work best when the camera/front is pointed directly at you. I got about 250ft range with the drone camera oriented “normally”. I use this version of the GameSir which works perfectly. I do have to go into the Tello app/Settings/Bluetooth Controller Settings and add an additional available controller each time which is GameSir-T1GCM. Experience may vary with different variations of the GameSir T1.

Distance Measurement:

View attachment 1005http://anarche.org/images/RyzeTello.Mi.Repeater.png

Flight videos showing distance travelled as well as height:

Hello, Does this work with Volatello's Tello FPV app as well? Or is specific manual there some place? Maurits

Hello, Does this work with Volatello's Tello FPV app as well? Or is specific manual there some place? Maurits

Just got it to work on Tello FPV!
Did the configuration in the normal app though (changing wifi name + adding password). But I can now ignore the regular Ryze app and use Tello FPV instead with no problems.

Thanks for the clear steps. I used it together with a youtube video.
Seems like the Mi App had changed a bit, option 'Mainland China' wasnt there, so I chose 'China' instead. Also took a while to get a verification code on my phone (app suggests china country code but fortunately I could change that while leaving region on China).
Got the expected error and the blue light on repeater, whoo!

Reactions: campert
Did order the Xiaomi 2 and got it yesterday. During my wait for delivery I read this thread couple of times and fond at least one really good instruction o youtube. When I was unpacking and started I was sure I had all steps in my head but having memory as a goldfish I anyway forget that 'connecting to device error' does not mean the intallation failed. So I probably did reset and started from scrath before I realized it was successful already first time ?. Works perfect and I really recommend the extender.

Now I should play a little with testing to carry the powerbank/extender on me to see how my body eventually decrease the signal strength (so far only tested it on the ground) because then I can move around as I want.
Have to say that I still have video drop outs but the signal and the range is so much better so I trust to be in controll in a longer range. I guess the video drops my be dependent of many other wifi's and/other signals that may cause it. I also use the Gamesir T1d controller that does not support OTG so bluetooth may also add some disturbance. I should compare by testing using only the phone to see if that helps. If so maybe I order a T1s controller later on.

However, I consider the Tello as a toy, even if still a very good one. I can live with what it deliver and it give me much fun.
Before I got it my idea was to learn to fly a drone using Tello and later on by a Spark. Plan is still the same except I going to keep the Tello in parallel because it have exceeded my expectation a lot
/putte

Did order the Xiaomi 2 and got it yesterday. During my wait for delivery I read this thread couple of times and fond at least one really good instruction o youtube. When I was unpacking and started I was sure I had all steps in my head but having memory as a goldfish I anyway forget that 'connecting to device error' does not mean the intallation failed. So I probably did reset and started from scrath before I realized it was successful already first time ?. Works perfect and I really recommend the extender.

Now I should play a little with testing to carry the powerbank/extender on me to see how my body eventually decrease the signal strength (so far only tested it on the ground) because then I can move around as I want.
Have to say that I still have video drop outs but the signal and the range is so much better so I trust to be in controll in a longer range. I guess the video drops my be dependent of many other wifi's and/other signals that may cause it. I also use the Gamesir T1d controller that does not support OTG so bluetooth may also add some disturbance. I should compare by testing using only the phone to see if that helps. If so maybe I order a T1s controller later on.

However, I consider the Tello as a toy, even if still a very good one. I can live with what it deliver and it give me much fun.
Before I got it my idea was to learn to fly a drone using Tello and later on by a Spark. Plan is still the same except I going to keep the Tello in parallel because it have exceeded my expectation a lot
/putte
For full usage of the Tello, get the app TelloFPV from the Google playstore. There is also a software named DroneBlocks which allows you to program the Tello.

Quick and unproofed text step by step process below for those that don't want to deal with YouTube being drawn out, although I got a little wordy. Took me two attempts to get working but it's working incredibly well and has extended the range more than I expected for $12.

1.) Use a Ryze Tello that you've got working in the official Tello app without the Repeater to ensure standard functionality. Make note of your max height and distance.

3.) Rename your Tello WiFi network to something without a dash or any special characters in the Official Tello App. I simply used "Tello" to make life easy. To change WiFi name and set password go to the Tello App/Settings(Gear Icon in App)/WiFi. Press enter on keyboard after each entry to confirm entry. After second "enter" command you should get prompted with a popup.

4.) Set a password for your renamed Tello WiFi network for best compatibility with Mi Home App, it doesn’t love unsecure networks. I used eight zero's to ensure I hit the character limit. "00000000"

5.) Use a Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2 Amplifier. I purchased this "version" although most are the same from what I can tell.

6.) Install the "Mi Home" app from your App Store, I'm on Android. Not sure about iOS.

7.) Sign up for Mi Home account in app and login. Unfortunately it’s required to use the App. I use a throwaway/spam email account for any questionable apps like this one. The less you put your real phone number and/or real email out there the less spam email/calls you have to deal with! :)

8.) Change Region to Mainland China or Other in Profile/Settings/Region in the MiHome app.

9.) Plug Repeater into USB power source. I use a battery pack that sticks out of my pocket with the Repeater facing up. This way if wind takes the drone I can follow it around any obstructions to keep control with the Repeater on me. You can also use a USB OTG to your phone to power the repeater if you don’t like the idea of a battery pack, but that’s also bulky.

10.) Get your Repeater connected to your phone once in the MiHome app. Found it easiest to connect to the Repeaters default WiFi network then use device discovery in the MiHome app.

a) Alternatively you can select the Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2 Amplifier from the device list in the App add device section.(this is why you change the Region)

11.) During setup process for Repeater you will turn your Tello drone on then connect Repeater to your Tello WiFI network. Once it is connected the Tello LED will start to blink more rapidly and the Repeater LED goes solid Blue from Yellow.

12.) Connect your phone/tablet to the WiFIName_Plus WiFi network. In my case it is “Tello_plus”.

13.) Open the Tello app. If your drone FPV is showing on your screen you have successfully setup your Repeater!

Measured 550+ feet range today flying away from myself and 100ft directly above myself. The antennas seem to work best when the camera/front is pointed directly at you. I got about 250ft range with the drone camera oriented “normally”. I use this version of the GameSir which works perfectly. I do have to go into the Tello app/Settings/Bluetooth Controller Settings and add an additional available controller each time which is GameSir-T1GCM. Experience may vary with different variations of the GameSir T1.

Distance Measurement:

Anarche:
I tried to set up my Tello/Xiaomi repeater nearly two weeks ago by following your instructions to the letter and nothing came of it. I finally got so frustrated at trying I gave up & sent my Xiaomi back to Amazon & went in search of another, perhaps easier to configure repeater. Then, I just decided I was gonna try again, so I bought a Rantow Tello repeater (another name for Xiaomi!) from them & sat down today, determined to make it work.
Within 2 minutes, everything coalesced & my repeater is functioning!
I've viewed other instructions (including MrGadget's), but I believe yours are more straightforward & the best! I must have had a massive brain fart two weeks ago, cos I don't believe I did anything differently!
Thanks for putting this out for one & all to see!
MrStacey

I got my repeater and used your step-by-step for the setup.
Thanks for providing this information!
Evan with it, it was not that easy. The app is not all the way self-explaining.

When I got the message that I should bring the device closer to the phone and always got a connection error, I noticed that the connection to tMartinpi_plus was already established. So, forget about this error.

It works, video quality seems to be improved. Next test, when the weather allows, will be in a local park where I experienced surprisingly strong disturbance resulting in bumpy flying conditions and poor video quality.

martinpi.
Glad you are able to use the Mi2 repeater.
Will be interesting to see the results of your park test.
And yes, it is sneaky that you need to ignore the error message and just confirm the mi2 repeater in indicating a blue light.
That issue had me stumped for a while.
Steve.

Distance Measurement:

Thnx for the info - my failure to provide a password for the Tello wifi signal meant that the repeater worked ok for the factory tello app but NOT with the TelloFPV app.
By giving the Tello wifi signal a password (eg 00000000) and registering it on the xiaomi repeater (Tello_plus) it seems to have enabled the repeater to work correctly with the TelloFPV app

My problem was I didn't realize that to turn a Tello on/off takes a short button push.
I was pushing for 5 seconds to turn OFF and resetting my Tello's name.

I also originally believed I didn't change the name. When I reprogrammed it recently also don't believe I needed a password.
Worth trying.
But having spent a couple of hours before I figured it out ... going to go flying now.
Also trying TelloFPV since it gives data about signal and range.

Question, Since the controller, is Bluetooth, then can it be used at the range or just use the phone's controls?

For anyone coming back here to find out how to connect their Xiaomi Mi WiFi extender Repeater 2, here is the issue that we forget in order to FIND IT in the app. YOU MUST identify your location as HONG CONG in order for the app to find that device. THEN, you can connect to it again. Why Xiaomi never did fix that location thing is beyond me. I can't imagine how many frustrated users there are because of this and the distrust of the product line having left this mess so long. This extender, repeater, is NOT shown using the USA as a location, only Hong Cong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv