Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Sun-cell hack possible?

dako

Reaction score
Just had a thought yesterday, that if you could attach and connect a small suncell on the back/shelf/cover, could you make a self batteryloading drone?

The weight there is they key. You're gonna make the Tello carry the sun cell, I reckon the smaller the cell, the less it would charge... Sounds challenging.

Reactions: dako
The weight there is they key. You're gonna make the Tello carry the sun cell, I reckon the smaller the cell, the less it would charge... Sounds challenging.
Yes ofc, but do you think it would be possible to connect it as a powersource for the tello?

I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly to be honest. I don't know either how's the state of the art of solar cells in order to provide power to the Tello. Bearing in mind the flying time of the Tello (~13m if you're in the optimal conditions), I don't know how much juice would you be able to actually recharge :(

Instructions also recommended to turn off the Tello before charging... So i think it could damage it.. Could be for hi temperatures? Bha

Thanks for the replies. Was curious, beacuse you can only fly so short times, having a thing like this would be so good.

This drone have lift torque somewhere about 80g. I am afraid that there is no such solar cell that can fit and power this drone.

The problem is power-density or specific energy (Watt-hour per gram or Ampere-hour per kilogram). Solar cells simply can't produce enough power per each gram of their weight.

So, if you fit large enough solar cell to feed the drone, the drone simply won't be able to take off because of additional weight. And vice-versa, if you put small solar cell that the drone can lift, it would be so weak that it couldn't power wifi module alone...

It’s a brutal idea... but... are you shire? It’s a tello... come on... a super “toy”... 1 battery = 10 minutes, double for 2 batteries... triple for 3 batteries ...
Ok just my opinion

This drone have lift torque somewhere about 80g. I am afraid that there is no such solar cell that can fit and power this drone.

The problem is power-density or specific energy (Watt-hour per gram or Ampere-hour per kilogram). Solar cells simply can't produce enough power per each gram of their weight.

So, if you fit large enough solar cell to feed the drone, the drone simply won't be able to take off because of additional weight. And vice-versa, if you put small solar cell that the drone can lift, it would be so weak that it couldn't power wifi module alone...
Thanks for the reply, im really a noob when it fcomes to both drones and suncells, so it was just an thought i had. =)

It’s a brutal idea... but... are you shire? It’s a tello... come on... a super “toy”... 1 battery = 10 minutes, double for 2 batteries... triple for 3 batteries ...
Ok just my opinion
If i had cash i would try and make one prototype yes. =) Uneployed for years , so cant try. Just an idea i had. =)

Hm... ANother thought, you couldnt fit the battery itself with some suncels stripes?

You will never be able to have enough solar capacity to stay ahead of the battery draw and get it off the ground.
Solar charging tello however is entirely possible and fairly easy to do.
Not trying to be negative, its just a matter of phyics.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv