Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello 650 meters range

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I got it ! :p

I have managed to get an incredible 654 meters range flying Tello !

You can see recorded video flight here:

I used this equipment:

An standard, unmodified, four months old, Ryze Tello, propeller guards removed. It's time to remove propeller guards: Jello effect gone and Flight time enlarged

A Hobbyking FPV Quanum goggles V2 Pro for a better pilot experience and flight inmersion. Tello full screen Goggles for VR (Virtual Reality) or FPV (First Person View)

A Gamesir T1 wired OTG controller for better control. Gamesir T1 controller sleep mode (SOLVED)

A Xiami Wifi Extender 2 powered with a home-made Windsurfer reflector antenna. WIFI reflector for improving Tello range

Excellent flight app aTelloPilot. Distance indicator. Return to Home feature. OTG gamepad support. PingguSoft/aTelloPilot

I'm glad to share my record with you. If someone trying to break distance marks be aware it's very easy to lost your Tello forever. Wifi connection is very temperamental, you can see I have severe video interference when reached 450 meters. Luckily I could overcome this problem and got the record.

Raul.

tello 654 meters range.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. Now go for the 1,000 meter mark!

I'm sure there has to be a way. I'll do some research.

When you did the wind surfer. What materials did you use? And when you flew. Was it on the ground or on top of something?

I followed an internet tutorial. Winsurfer anttena is made of cardboard, aluminium foil and hot glue. For this flight I let the antenna over a shoe box about 50 cm height.

What we can try is raising the height of the wifi extender. Higher position, longer the range. Also, today my wifi extender should arrive. I still insist that my theory of placing the range extender halfway in the field, should improve the distance even further. What should be rethought is how to apply the windsurfers to be able to get both directions. Perhaps customizing the build in antenas to something larger?

Reactions: Doug D
What is your next goal? If you reach a kilometer you will become a myth for having traveled this distance with a little toy drone

What we can try is raising the height of the wifi extender. Higher position, longer the range. Also, today my wifi extender should arrive. I still insist that my theory of placing the range extender halfway in the field, should improve the distance even further. What should be rethought is how to apply the windsurfers to be able to get both directions. Perhaps customizing the build in antenas to something larger?
I attached a tiny powerbank to my PS3 controller, witch is otg connected to my phone and plugged in my usb Wi-Fi extender to it. It work very nice, range and video quality is much better when the Wi-Fi extender is in a higher position and not on the ground.

What is your next goal? If you reach a kilometer you will become a myth for having traveled this distance with a little toy drone
I tried that with an even smaller drone: Syma X11 with the FC & cam of a Hubsan H107d. Lost it around 900-950m and never found it again.

1km with Tello is certainly doable, but requires some good equipment for the ground station. A good directional antenna, and a really good router / repeater. Its not about the transmission power of the groundstation (thats easy!) but about its ability to listen to the low power signal of little Tello in the distance.
Its like trying follow a whispered conversation half a mile away while you are screaming into a megaphone at the same time. The problem is not solved by making the megaphone even louder...

I tried that with an even smaller drone: Syma X11 with the FC & cam of a Hubsan H107d. Lost it around 900-950m and never found it again.

1km with Tello is certainly doable, but requires some good equipment for the ground station. A good directional antenna, and a really good router / repeater. Its not about the transmission power of the groundstation (thats easy!) but about its ability to listen to the low power signal of little Tello in the distance.
Its like trying follow a whispered conversation half a mile away while you are screaming into a megaphone at the same time. The problem is not solved by making the megaphone even louder...

@volate!lo , totally agree with you.

As WIFI is a bi-directional tecnology, grounstation side is as important as Tello itself.

Talking about router / repeater. I seemed that in a previous post you said your Xiaomi Youth Nano router is getting you better performance than Xiaomi Wifi Repeater. Can you confirm that ?

I'll like to give it a try, but it's a discontinued item and hard to find at any website.

All the best. And sorrry for your losted Syma and Hubsan ;)

I think the Nano Youth is better than the Wifi+ but I haven't done enough flying recently to be fully sure.

If you are really looking for breaking records I'd look at differnt options. Maybe what Ubiquiti networks has to offer can help you. I once managed a stable wifi connection over 12km using their Bullet M2, but I guess on the other side there was some similar equipment (I was just using the free wifi of some rich guy's villa on top of a caribbean island "Mustique").

Very interesting, but Ubiquiti products seem me a bit expensive for a test ;)

I'll keep looking for a Xiaomi Youth Nano router .

Thanks.

That was back in 2013 or so and I paid around 35-40 Euro for the Bullet M2. Prices have doubled it seems.

Hi folks,

I got it ! :p

I have managed to get an incredible 654 meters range flying Tello !

You can see recorded video flight here:

I used this equipment:

An standard, unmodified, four months old, Ryze Tello, propeller guards removed. It's time to remove propeller guards: Jello effect gone and Flight time enlarged

A Hobbyking FPV Quanum goggles V2 Pro for a better pilot experience and flight inmersion. Tello full screen Goggles for VR (Virtual Reality) or FPV (First Person View)

A Gamesir T1 wired OTG controller for better control. Gamesir T1 controller sleep mode (SOLVED)

A Xiami Wifi Extender 2 powered with a home-made Windsurfer reflector antenna. WIFI reflector for improving Tello range

Excellent flight app aTelloPilot. Distance indicator. Return to Home feature. OTG gamepad support. PingguSoft/aTelloPilot

I'm glad to share my record with you. If someone trying to break distance marks be aware it's very easy to lost your Tello forever. Wifi connection is very temperamental, you can see I have severe video interference when reached 450 meters. Luckily I could overcome this problem and got the record.

Raul.

View attachment 2009
Hi, BUT: How to link TelloFPV app/Xiaomi repeater 2/GameSir T1d/Samsung J3 ? Thanks for your help. Maurits

Pardon my ignorance about wifi extenders and such...
I think I read somewhere that some extenders can be configured for more then one device. What about a second extender configured for the same Tello? One extender at takeoff point and the second at say 100+ meters or where the limit of the first extender might be reached. Would the second extender pick up the Tello wifi at that point and be able to send it further? Then the same returning? Even if that could work there would still be the limitation of the battery. Is that even possible?

Pardon my ignorance about wifi extenders and such...
I think I read somewhere that some extenders can be configured for more then one device. What about a second extender configured for the same Tello? One extender at takeoff point and the second at say 100+ meters or where the limit of the first extender might be reached. Would the second extender pick up the Tello wifi at that point and be able to send it further? Then the same returning? Even if that could work there would still be the limitation of the battery. Is that even possible?
Sorry, but I had never tried that.

Raul.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv