Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello at Lanzarote Island

That's interesting about the Xiaomi nano Youth router. Would be cool if you could post a video of a range test with it and the Tello.

Can you tell us which phone you use?

I've done a bunch of research and I believe the phone matters more than a wifi extender.

If you notice, Ryze only has a small list of compatible phones - Ryze Tech

If you don't have one of those EXACT phones, the Tello will work but the video will have artifacts and dropped frames no matter what else you do.
Sorry, no video for the range test. I don't have a YT account and never publish any videos. I record videos only to find the drone in case I lose WIFI :)
I only use my drones for flying FPV and sometimes for making photos.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S6, but a quick test flight doesn't show major issues using my old S4.

Of course you need to have good close range video when directly connected to the drone to start with, otherwise even the best extender doesn't help.

I use a Meross 200 Range extender, i tested it here on Lanzarote in the Timanfaya National Park. There was only my WiFi in the Lava Desert . The Video get damaged after a view minutes, or fast turns. The orig. App Shows " WiFi get lost" or similar Text. If the app search the WiFi ,it founds only one Tello .
The atellopilot app Found two Tello WiFi sugest the stronger Signal .
My starting procedere ,
1 connect Range extender with Powerbank.
Put it in the Shirtpocket, or on the Ground.
2 push Tello Batterie On, waiting that Tello Found the Rangex .
3 Start the App, connect Tello Rangex. WiFi
4 Connecting Controller Gamesir td1 per otg / Bluetooth
5 Fly
If i disconnect the Rangex from the Powerbank , both Apps Shows s Black or frozen Screen. So ist for me the sign, that the extender works.

I can't comment on the Meross range extender as I never used it.

One source of trouble with the Bebop commuinty has always been Bluetooth controllers interfering with wifi. So if you have OTG support try if that helps.

Since you mentioned fast turns. A good range extender makes for better range and reliability of the wifi. Thats all. It can't fix if your phone chokes on video playback.
Try similar flight maneuvers with the phone directly connected to Tello and in close proximity, if possible without other sources of BT / wifi / 3G nearby. If you have similar problems with fast turns causing video drops its not a problem of the transmission, and can't be fixed with a range extender.

If i disconnect the Rangex from the Powerbank , both Apps Shows s Black or frozen Screen. So ist for me the sign, that the extender works.

Thats evidence you are connected to the range extender but doesn't give a clue if the range extender is actually improving range & reliability of your Tello's wifi. Could also be the contrary, or depend on situations.

Not all range extenders are made equal. Some folks made intesive tests with differrent extenders and the bebop and found vast differences.
In the end the Xiaomi nano youth beat them all by some margin, thats why I bought it last year (plus it was dead cheap around 12 Euro). It's been taken off market, I suspect thats because it did not obey to transmission power rules.

Thats evidence you are connected to the range extender but doesn't give a clue if the range extender is actually improving range & reliability of your Tello's wifi. Could also be the contrary, or depend on situations.

Not all range extenders are made equal. Some folks made intesive tests with differrent extenders and the bebop and found vast differences.
In the end the Xiaomi nano youth beat them all by some margin, thats why I bought it last year (plus it was dead cheap around 12 Euro). It's been taken off market, I suspect thats because it did not obey to transmission power rules.
Do you have any links to the range extender testing posts? I searched before purchasing one but never found anything with drones. The tests with the Parrot would be great info for us Tello users.

Do you have any links to the range extender testing posts? I searched before purchasing one but never found anything with drones. The tests with the Parrot would be great info for us Tello users.
I don't know if you speak/read German.

There is one user "enderffx" who posts on Kopterforum.de and I think drohnen-forum.de. It seems he was part of the range extender game from the beginning.

He started off with some 12v TPLink router and posted range tests, and over time he used and tested a few different routers and extenders, his favourite being the netgear PR2000. I don't think that he ever made a formal "test" of one vs the other or even a final writeup of all the results, what he did was basically just go in a straight line in a controlled environment. Same height, same position.
His final choice (as of last year) was the Xiaomi nano youth and several discussion on other forums supported that as well.
Ihave to admit that I last checked these threads last year when I bought the xiaomi. I never followed up if there is something better now as I am very happy, and don't need more range.

I don't know if you speak/read German.

There is one user "enderffx" who posts on Kopterforum.de and I think drohnen-forum.de. It seems he was part of the range extender game from the beginning.

He started off with some 12v TPLink router and posted range tests, and over time he used and tested a few different routers and extenders, his favourite being the netgear PR2000. I don't think that he ever made a formal "test" of one vs the other or even a final writeup of all the results, what he did was basically just go in a straight line in a controlled environment. Same height, same position.
His final choice (as of last year) was the Xiaomi nano youth and several discussion on other forums supported that as well.
Ihave to admit that I last checked these threads last year when I bought the xiaomi. I never followed up if there is something better now as I am very happy, and don't need more range.

I don't speak or read German but Google translate does! Thanks for leads, I'll take a look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan