Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello at night

Kish

Reaction score
So I just received my tello today and I flew it a couple of times and it good

Then I tried flying at night and it was hovering around and crashed into the wall a couple of times. Any help how do I fly the drone and night?

The downward facing sensors which keep Tello hovering so nicely don’t work in the dark, so you probably need to fly in a spot where the ground is illuminated to keep keep the sensors working. I haven’t tried this, but maybe your car’s headlights will provide enough light?

So I just received my tello today and I flew it a couple of times and it good

Then I tried flying at night and it was hovering around and crashed into the wall a couple of times. Any help how do I fly the drone and night?
If your aim is to just fly a little longer into the evening, you could try to tape an IR emitter diode (R/shack) and 2032 coin battery to the bottom of your Tello.
Make sure the polarity is correct and aim the emitter body straight down & tape off.
Check with your phone's camera to see if IR is emitted, it will detect the IR radiation.
This setup may provide enough additional IR illumination to assist the IR sensor in detecting the reflected ground illumination, which is exactly what the emitter part on the bottom of the Tello (the one with the almost unnoticable glow) is supposed to do in the first place.
Tellos are not equipped for night flight.
But with a bit of ingenuity and night vision addons you can fly in the dark and have fun.
Just remember that it is illegal, and any equipment added like an 0.00001 lux camera, vtx & battery, is first off tricky to do and also shortens flight time and will decrease overall efficiency and response.
I have had some results that were ok and satisfied my curiosity.
Back to square one...learning to walk before running.

Reactions: Marcio Cartier

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Madrid