Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello Battery Charging - Blue light never goes solid - keeps blinking slowly

DigiDad

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just purchased a new Tello drone and upon first charging it yesterday the blue light remained slowly blinking. It was on charge for at least a couple of hours and still continues to blink, even when I plugged it back in this morning on the charger. Should the battery have charged by now and the blue light be solid rather than blinking? Could there be an issue with the battery or charging circuit?

Thanks.

What is the voltage output of the charger you're using? Manual says "always use a certified usb adapter that is rated at 5V and 1.5A or above". Perhaps your charger voltage is too low?

What is the voltage output of the charger you're using? Not sure if there's a minimum for the battery to charge properly.

Thanks JGN. I'll check when I get home. I'm suspecting the charging device current is probably insufficient, so a much longer charge time. Perhaps my iPad charger or Android charger plug might be better.

Thanks JGN. I'll check when I get home. I'm suspecting the charging device current is probably insufficient, so a much longer charge time. Perhaps my iPad charger or Android charger plug might be better.

Manual says "always use a certified usb adapter that is rated at 5V and 1.5A or above". Hopefully it's just a minor issue like that.

I got the same problem.just rec my tello a week ago after 3 charges its just a blinking blue I got and the batt is dead

I am having the same issue on 1 of my batteries, both charged normally for the first month. Then one is now doing the never stop flashing blue.
My charger has never had an issue with this before. The other battery charges fine with the same charger. Pretty sure the battery is faulty. Yet I pull it and I still have a 100% charge. So no idea at this point.

Hi,

I have just purchased a new Tello drone and upon first charging it yesterday the blue light remained slowly blinking. It was on charge for at least a couple of hours and still continues to blink, even when I plugged it back in this morning on the charger. Should the battery have charged by now and the blue light be solid rather than blinking? Could there be an issue with the battery or charging circuit?

Thanks.

Once in a while my two Tello's batteries suffer the annoying charging flashing blue LED issue. Both batteries are one month old.

Only answer I found is slightly discharging battery by powering drone for one minute. No need to takeoff. Static discharge is enought.

Connect usb wall charger again and let batteries charging as usual.

I noticed fixed blue LED takes only a couple of minutes. I suspect when flashing blue LED issue occurs battery is far near 100% of its capacity.

Cheers

Raul

Hi there,

new to the forum (first post), but thought I would share some info that may be useful...

I have 2 batteries for my Tello, and usually charge them directly through the drone. I recently purchased a battery charger which connects to a USB wall adapter, or a power bank.
Measuring the charge rate was very surprising, as seen on the attached pics.

Both batteries were discharged to 9% before charging.

The charge rate when connected directly to the Tello was about 1 amp, while the separate charger was charging at around 3 amps. (Both charge rates reduce of course, as the battery increases its capacity).

When the battery (through the separate charger) is full, the light turns green and no further power is flowing to the battery.

With the power bank connected directly to the Tello, the blue light eventually turns solid blue, but around 100mA is still passing to the Tello.
This 'may' be that the Tello is still 'topping off' the charge, or could be the circuitry of the Drone itself is consuming some power.

I was a bit apprehensive about the initial 3A charge rate, and checked the temperature of both batteries during charging.
The 3A-charged battery was barely warm (24c), while the 1A Tello-charged battery came out at around 30c.

I know the Tello can get quite hot just being switched on (no flying), but also while simply charging.

I'll keep one battery just for direct-to-Tello charging, and the other for charging with the hi-rate charger, and see if there is any difference in reliability / battery life over time.

The latter certainly reduces 'waiting time'... around 20 minutes or so for a full charge!.

tello1.jpg

tello2.jpg

Reactions: Ahmadreza
Hi there,

new to the forum (first post), but thought I would share some info that may be useful...

I have 2 batteries for my Tello, and usually charge them directly through the drone. I recently purchased a battery charger which connects to a USB wall adapter, or a power bank.
Measuring the charge rate was very surprising, as seen on the attached pics.

Both batteries were discharged to 9% before charging.

The charge rate when connected directly to the Tello was about 1 amp, while the separate charger was charging at around 3 amps. (Both charge rates reduce of course, as the battery increases its capacity).

When the battery (through the separate charger) is full, the light turns green and no further power is flowing to the battery.

With the power bank connected directly to the Tello, the blue light eventually turns solid blue, but around 100mA is still passing to the Tello.
This 'may' be that the Tello is still 'topping off' the charge, or could be the circuitry of the Drone itself is consuming some power.

I was a bit apprehensive about the initial 3A charge rate, and checked the temperature of both batteries during charging.
The 3A-charged battery was barely warm (24c), while the 1A Tello-charged battery came out at around 30c.

I know the Tello can get quite hot just being switched on (no flying), but also while simply charging.

I'll keep one battery just for direct-to-Tello charging, and the other for charging with the hi-rate charger, and see if there is any difference in reliability / battery life over time.

The latter certainly reduces 'waiting time'... around 20 minutes or so for a full charge!.

View attachment 1670

View attachment 1671
My guess is that the Tello powers up its cpu board to charge. That would also explain the higher temp of the battery charged inside the drone

Do both batteries show 100% after some resting?
Do you have a link to the charge cable?

Dear OP:

Yesterday I had the same problem, after a couple of hours of charging the light was blinking. Then I moved the cable and noticed that the micro USB was a little loose inside the Tello.So, I tried to put the connector straight into the Tello, pushing it inside with a little force and then the blinking changed its pace and in half hour it was fully charged.

TLDR: Check that the micro USB is making proper contact inside the Tello.

Hi,

Thanks.
I found the low output chargers cheap type dont have the capability to top off the batteries

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv