Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello controller for iPhone

Rivercarper

Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum and looking for some basic advice. Waiting for my tello to arrive and trying to find what is the best option for controlling the tello with an iPhone device. Will be eventually going down the WiFi extender route but looking at the controller first. Watched plenty of YouTube and read up on the forum but can’t make out what is the best way with the iPhone for a good video feed and control of the drone and latency. The gamesir t1d seems to have issues with video interference using Bluetooth and WiFi even with the extender. The t1s seems to be the one for Android devices plugging in with the otg lead but can’t seem to work out if you can do the same with apple ios. The other option seems to be the game vice 156 or 157a plugging straight into the iPhone lightning connector but there is less info on YouTube about this solution .
can anybody help cause I’m now I bit confused as to what is best and don’t really want to go down the trial and error route gets a little expensive. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Droniac17
I can't speak for the Ryze app as I never used it on iOS. So the following is only valid for TelloFpv iOS:

If you want best video go for a wired controller. Gamevice is the only one I know but there may be others.

If you want best control (and don't mind getting a controller that only works for tello) go for a Parrot Flypad. A used Flypad should be much cheaper than a Gamevice
After I got myself a T1s I no longer recommend it. But support for t1s is coming for TelloFpv iOS

If you happen to own an xbox / PS controller maybe try to get it connected to iOS. If it works in a gamepad tester app it should work in TelloFpv.

I can't speak for the Ryze app as I never used it on iOS. So the following is only valid for TelloFpv iOS:

If you want best video go for a wired controller. Gamevice is the only one I know but there may be others.

If you want best control (and don't mind getting a controller that only works for tello) go for a Parrot Flypad. A used Flypad should be much cheaper than a Gamevice
After I got myself a T1s I no longer recommend it. But support for t1s is coming for TelloFpv iOS

If you happen to own an xbox / PS controller maybe try to get it connected to iOS. If it works in a gamepad tester app it should work in TelloFpv.
Thank you Volatello just what I was looking for. The game vice is no dearer than the parrot controller here in the uk or the gamesir for that matter So I will get one of those and see how I get on.
there appears to be two models for iPhone 6s 156 and 157a do you know what the difference is ?

no idea. I have a 156 and it works well, but the sticks are ridiculously short. Far too short to allow fine control over a drone.

But the sensor precision seems great, so if you can find stick extensions it could be as good as the flypad.
Flypad can often be found dead cheap with a used & beaten Parrot swing drone. Like 10€

no idea. I have a 156 and it works well, but the sticks are ridiculously short. Far too short to allow fine control over a drone.

But the sensor precision seems great, so if you can find stick extensions it could be as good as the flypad.
Flypad can often be found dead cheap with a used & beaten Parrot swing drone. Like 10€
Thank you volatello for the help and advice impatiently waiting for my tello to turn up now!

Hi there. Does the flypad work with bluetooth? Im desperately trying to find a way to connect a controller via cable to ios... Otherwise I have a older android which I could use but it doesn't have such a big screen and its much lower tech then my iphone . Not the t1s or flypad are available here in South Africa

Fly pad is BT only.
I don't think iOS supports any wired controller beside a handful MFi controllers.

Dear @volate!lo

Great information !

Do you prefer the T1s or the Parrot Flypad ?

I am enjoying the Tello and would like to get the best controller, it seems that the best route is using a cable OTG and a Wifi extender. This seems to limit the selection to the Android and either the T1s or the Parrot Flypad.

Thank you !

Personally I prefer phone only, because for me Tello is all about simplicity.
That said the only controller I use is the Parrot flypad when doing indoor VR FPV flights. Yes, Bluetooth does impact video quality, but the quality is good enough for FPV. I never do videos anyway, but that is again just me.
The good point about the flypad is precision. The Flypad has really good gimbals and sticks, much better than gamepad style controllers.
Flypad works with TelloFpv on both Android and IOS

If you want to fly with controller and still have the best video quality possible, you need a wired controller. There are tons of android compatible wired OTG controllers, for iOS I know only the gamevice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv