Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Need new controller - Gamesir T1s the best option?

hagopm

Reaction score
Hello All,

I used to use a Gamesir T1d controller. All my Tello batteries went kaput and I didn't use it for a while. Now I've got some replacement batteries but my T1D is on the fritz. I've tried calibrating using the app and both the sticks will not send a 'down' command, they only send left, right and up. Seems like a common problem with the T1d so I'm looking for a replacement.

Will the T1s work over bluetooth as the the T1d did?
What is the wired option I see people talking about, how does that work, what do I need?
I'm using an iphone 11 to run the Tello App.

Thanks

Hagop

Hello All,

I used to use a Gamesir T1d controller. All my Tello batteries went kaput and I didn't use it for a while. Now I've got some replacement batteries but my T1D is on the fritz. I've tried calibrating using the app and both the sticks will not send a 'down' command, they only send left, right and up. Seems like a common problem with the T1d so I'm looking for a replacement.

What is the wired option I see people talking about, how does that work, what do I need?

Thanks

Hagop
Buy the TelloFpv app and grab a Parrot Flypad controller.
Kick back and enjoy.

Hello All,

Thanks

Hagop
Hey there. I have both model game sirs, including the T1D, and yes, they are fantastic for such a small price.
There is, however, a far superior option.
I have the original DJI, Mavic Pro, the original, Mini PRO, the Mini PRO two and a mini pro three. Along with one comparable model of each competing company for a comparison standards, just a hobby.
Autels,Fimi by FUJI,..,Hubsan Zino mini pro,etc…. and other junk, I managed to acquire cheaply.
but that’s only if you have an old model large iPad 12.9 inch. must be the older model because it must have a lightning adapter.
GAMEVICE Controller for 12.9 inch iPad Pro., (find one used and cheap).
flying that little Tello with this gamevice on the 12.9 inch iPad Pro provides a different type of experience from every single other drone I’ve ever flown.
Your controller is literally a 12.9 inch iPad Pro with joysticks. Get a $10 sunshade for the tablet and have a blast.
if you don’t like it, reach back out to me and I’ll honestly consider taking all of it off your hands if possible.
someone else would love to have it.
take care.

Gamevice are a different league in terms of precision and quality. Since you are on IOS maybe there is one you can use for your phone (the one I have maxes out at with the Iphone 8 Plus due to size and lightning connector).

Gamesirs have their issues, they are cheaply made and many of them develop controller creep after a while. I have two T1D and two T1S and three of them have issues.
Both T1d and T1s connect via bluetooth LE (at least with TelloFpv, but I guess also with the Ryze app)

Gamevice are a different league in terms of precision and quality. Since you are on IOS maybe there is one you can use for your phone (the one I have maxes out at with the Iphone 8 Plus due to size and lightning connector).

Gamesirs have their issues, they are cheaply made and many of them develop controller creep after a while. I have two T1D and two T1S and three of them have issues.
Both T1d and T1s connect via bluetooth LE (at least with TelloFpv, but I guess also with the Ryze app)
Yes, I did having problems with both T1D and T1S that did not occur at times prior.
I think I ended up purchasing cables to get away from Bluetooth and improve latency,
which is what led me down the line to the game vice……
which I could only find,…in that large size,…
at either Apple or DJI,…
and that was a couple years ago.
I looked briefly recently, and did not see any, as I noticed, people are talking about these newer Nintendo switch controllers etc….(i’m assuming what I have is pretty good!) probably some of the best latency available.
I really did consider it a blessing getting it,..…. especially 12.9 inch.
as it certainly is an improved(different) perspective,
and helped me develop a curiosity etc….for this hobby.
i’m a bit of a weirdo at times and tend to do things my own way, 😂 haha.
sometimes not so funny,🥲however,
but this forum and Tellos, drones etc.. help out tremendously.
(kind of all goes back to perspective in one way or another)
ps…. I did have it set up at times with cable and one other way ….Bluetooth flying a Tello on the big screen TV. Some type of Miracast cable ????? Maybe a dongle also…
It was from years back. I can check if necessary.
Best of luck with your Gamevice etc…

if one is looking for a dedicated BT controller and is OK with using TelloFpv I can only recommend the Flypad. It's precision is _way_ above all gamepad style controllers.
Gamevice have similar quality gimbals offering great precisioon, however the sticks are a bit short for me, they just don't give me that good control.

Reactions: BigL
if one is looking for a dedicated BT controller and is OK with using TelloFpv I can only recommend the Flypad. It's precision is _way_ above all gamepad style controllers.
Gamevice have similar quality gimbals offering great precisioon, however the sticks are a bit short for me, they just don't give me that good control.
Agreed, longer sticks would be great, but I’m assuming they overlooked the screw on options as they didn’t want it to break and anger customers/turn them away. similar to the first drones of higher quality when you look at their controllers.
‘now,…. I haven’t been able to utilize my drones like I wanted, the last couple years, but I think about them frequently and what other options do you recommend aside from Tello FPV?

Agreed, longer sticks would be great, but I’m assuming they overlooked the screw on options as they didn’t want it to break and anger customers/turn them away. similar to the first drones of higher quality when you look at their controllers.
‘now,…. I haven’t been able to utilize my drones like I wanted, the last couple years, but I think about them frequently and what other options do you recommend aside from Tello FPV?
I have a fly pad and,….an old parrot sky controller. I I do remember the fly pad being very responsive with the toy parrot drones. It really made a difference to the parrot stuff.
So,…with the compatibility of the fly pad on the Tello being so relatively simple, just how much work would it be to utilize the sky controller in similar fashion for Tello?
how much creativity do you think?
It certainly seems like it would be nice if it could be done and worthwhile.

The Flypad is just a dumb controller, just with good gimabls (and some proprietary BLE protocol, very similar to the Gamesir T1D).

The Skycontroller is totally different. Its a fully equipped smart device running Android 4.2. It has a GPS, Accelerometer, gyro, a HDMI display connector. Just like a phone but with a huge gamepad and long-range wifi. It runs Parrot's App FreeFlight and uses the mobile only as a display / input device. Pretty cool device.

As you can see one can deactivate Freeflight and install some other apps directly on the skycontroller. So it would in theory be possible to run TelloFpv on SkyController and use Copilot for display / input. I would expect to see about 1km range using the SC's long range wifi

But its not that easy:
A) I don't have my skycontroller anymore, I guess there aren't a lot that are still in active use (and thus work)
B) Even if I had it this project would still take me a several weeks of effort fulltime
C) I expect not more than a handful of strange people globally (me included) are looking for a way to hack & wreck their Skycontroller just to install a TelloFpv version (Bebop / Anafi would no longer work, only Tello)

Bottom line: very cool idea but not really worth it.
Maybe if there is another pandemic lock-down and I have tons of time to kill.

Sad that Parrot left the consumer drone market. I love their concept of using a digital gimbal based on a fisheye lens. Not good enough picture quality to keep up with gimbal camera drones but extremely robust. That is exactly what I wold like to see for a Tello 2.

The Flypad is just a dumb controller, just with good gimabls (and some proprietary BLE protocol, very similar to the Gamesir T1D).

The Skycontroller is totally different. Its a fully equipped smart device running Android 4.2. It has a GPS, Accelerometer, gyro, a HDMI display connector. Just like a phone but with a huge gamepad and long-range wifi. It runs Parrot's App FreeFlight and uses the mobile only as a display / input device. Pretty cool device.

As you can see one can deactivate Freeflight and install some other apps directly on the skycontroller. So it would in theory be possible to run TelloFpv on SkyController and use Copilot for display / input. I would expect to see about 1km range using the SC's long range wifi

But its not that easy:
A) I don't have my skycontroller anymore, I guess there aren't a lot that are still in active use (and thus work)
B) Even if I had it this project would still take me a several weeks of effort fulltime
C) I expect not more than a handful of strange people globally (me included) are looking for a way to hack & wreck their Skycontroller just to install a TelloFpv version (Bebop / Anafi would no longer work, only Tello)

Bottom line: very cool idea but not really worth it.
Maybe if there is another pandemic lock-down and I have tons of time to kill.

Sad that Parrot left the consumer drone market. I love their concept of using a digital gimbal based on a fisheye lens. Not good enough picture quality to keep up with gimbal camera drones but extremely robust. That is exactly what I wold like to see for a Tello 2.
My thoughts exactly.
Prepare for run on sentences and thoughts …..of course I knew it was possible, but what is the payoff For someone to dismantle their sky controller, most likely rendering their bebop’s obsolete so to speak. I noticed the benefits of the fisheye lens in my brief experience with it, and also agree that the market most likely put that concept in the background in favor of the more robust, camera gimbal set ups.
so that’s when I’ll look to the used market. A talented shopper can find things/trades trade offs etc….Parrot,(just my opinion) brought a lot to the table in terms of the drone market in its entirety, and still definitely with some of the highest end stuff!!!!(fascinating items) but in this case, particularly in regard to the Tello, /TOY drone,…there was quite a bit of overlap, in regard to the toy/commercial/and especially what we’re seeing now, these days currently,…. As to how these items can be utilized. Yes, the Tello is a learning tool for coding, which is obviously a wonderful concept and so very useful.,.. I still like to give my props to the parrot guys. extremely talented and a fantastic business model with the abilities to cross into different Uses etc…. very impressed to read about the company’s use/study build of living creatures/insects etc…. In regards to their newest ANAFI AI. upon noticing the obstacle avoidance set up, it was easy to see where they saved money, using less sensors by going with “natures” designs. very impressive. Imagine if your eyeball was on the end of tentacles etc…. Each eyeball would have quite a “view“
But of course that wasn’t the first time, the parrot company relied on nature ,…..as you stated ….FISH EYE.(my opinion) these guys deserve much more credit than they currently get. watchful eye for the market, utilizing low cost sensors and cameras.etc….and then producing enough revenue, toy market,..to do some of the worlds biggest, most important jobs, with that revenue, while cutting down, cost and risks etc…,, literally, the name of the game/market.(All games/markets for that matter!) I have enjoyed witnessing,figuring noticing the practicalities, as that is the way folks get ahead, using their intelligence and skill sets, and, of course, common sense, and hard work.
etc…anyway…. very impressed with them as well. I like to give credit where it’s due.
tello 2 …….?
well,original Tello will have its benefits as is for some time to come. (much less to go wrong , the simplicity gives it tremendous advantages. Credit DJI on Tello of course,… I still haven’t broken out my Tello EDU or Robo master, so I’m afraid I’ve gotten way behind. I intended to learn some coding etc…. examine the possibility of other things/market uses etc….as well. I
really need to catch up.
……but I do have that sky controller if you have any thoughts etc…
I also think I have located, could locate a few others at relatively low cost if you’re interested??

I totally agree that Parrot had a really cool business model. ARDrone and especially the Bebop line got famous because of the open SDKs they provided. Sadly they were too slow to adapt to the "gimbal drone consumer market", when they released the Anafi it was already too late.

These days, with current GPU processing power it would be possible to give a tiny and cheap drone like Tello a Fisheye based digital gimbal. Weight and robustness make a fisheye gimbal way more suited for a toy like Tello than any mechanic gimbal can ever be.

Back to the SC:
Sourcing the SC is no problem for me. I have seen a SC2 in working condition for 30 bucks. The problem is that I am currently not looking for a new hobby ;-) At least not one that takes several weeks of fulltime tinkering. I don't see more than 15-20 potential customers for "TelloFpv-SC" so this is not a viable business.

I totally agree that Parrot had a really cool business model. ARDrone and especially the Bebop line got famous because of the open SDKs they provided. Sadly they were too slow to adapt to the "gimbal drone consumer market", when they released the Anafi it was already too late.

These days, with current GPU processing power it would be possible to give a tiny and cheap drone like Tello a Fisheye based digital gimbal. Weight and robustness make a fisheye gimbal way more suited for a toy like Tello than any mechanic gimbal can ever be.

Back to the SC:
Sourcing the SC is no problem for me. I have seen a SC2 in working condition for 30 bucks. The problem is that I am currently not looking for a new hobby ;-) At least not one that takes several weeks of fulltime tinkering. I don't see more than 15-20 potential customers for "TelloFpv-SC" so this is not a viable business.
Completely agree again on the fisheye for the Tello , as I have put lots of thought into the exact positioning of the current Tello camera lens. What I mean by that, is it gives very good piloting view for nonadjustable ,….In other words, it gave excellent view for a camera lens that did not adjust positioning. And I realized that parrot had the fisheye at the same time and thought that would be great.
Different businesses, patents, trademarks, etc. however,

But one ,…Example…when flying low, Tello has Blindspot’s but not so much up high. If so, when, doing the mathematics on the figuring, the fisheye lens would be super!!
yes, fisheye on Tello sounds like a tremendous business model!
and I think it would be a great seller, learning tools, etc. and the list goes on…
I’m interested.
Ps,…. I was confused originally about the SC2, as I thought you were referring to the remote controller for the parrot, spider, cargo, etc. toy drones…
Obviously, the SC2 comes in an fpv set that would be useful with the fisheye lens.
There’s your big market for sales!!

Last edited:
Me, too. I've said numerous times that I would be happy to pay in the 200€ range for a Tello 2 if it comes with FHD Fisheye and SD card slot. It's all the drone that I personally need.

But I don't have any links to anyone at Ryze / DJI. All I can do is mention it on their public FB groups from time to time. Nobody at DJI has ever expressed any interest.

I wonder why they never came up with this as they already have onboard video stabilization. That is the hard part to get right, the image cropping and fisheye correction isn't a problem, only need a bit more processing power but even that should be very easily available now about 5 years after Tello's birth.

Me, too. I've said numerous times that I would be happy to pay in the 200€ range for a Tello 2 if it comes with FHD Fisheye and SD card slot. It's all the drone that I personally need.

But I don't have any links to anyone at Ryze / DJI. All I can do is mention it on their public FB groups from time to time. Nobody at DJI has ever expressed any interest.

I wonder why they never came up with this as they already have onboard video stabilization. That is the hard part to get right, the image cropping and fisheye correction isn't a problem, only need a bit more processing power but even that should be very easily available now about 5 years after Tello's birth.
Agreed. Possibly due to the restrictions being placed on the company?

Don't know. Maybe just lack of interest in the toy size drone market. Maybe lack of profitability in that market segment.

Now that DJI had a super extra long and profitable run with Tello maybe that will change?
I mean how many other drones have been on the market for 5 years without modifications? I can only remember the Cheerson CX10 toy. Certainly no other drone has retained it's #1 market position & initial price point for over 5 years.

I just hope that they will re-evaluate and develop a Tello 2. I really want something capable but toy sized <100gr.

Don't know. Maybe just lack of interest in the toy size drone market. Maybe lack of profitability in that market segment.

Now that DJI had a super extra long and profitable run with Tello maybe that will change?
I mean how many other drones have been on the market for 5 years without modifications? I can only remember the Cheerson CX10 toy. Certainly no other drone has retained it's #1 market position & initial price point for over 5 years.

I just hope that they will re-evaluate and develop a Tello 2. I really want something capable but toy sized <100gr.
@100 g is all that would be needed for that,fisheye, longer battery,/possibly even 4K instead of 1080, and as well as other features with more being developed daily it seems. (also, there’s a usable camera on the bottom.) it could be done somehow.
It’s already there for visual orientation purposes.(holding it steady without GPS., at least in daylight)
A drone this size with this capability and this price tag,…..could
make it more difficult to generate revenue for the higher end models.
Lessening the research and development funding For the higher end models,….
Stopping progress???
Likely a major factor, at least at this point.

I´ve been using a T1s for a while now (with controller / OTG cable, earlier T1d) and satified with it. I´ve bought it 10€ in mint condition. Since the Tello is a toy drone, this controller should be good for anyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atapattu