Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello EDU problems

Darksmile

Reaction score
Hello, i´m a 41Y old, lucky owner of a Tello EDU in Germany. I bought this drone to learn a bit about programming. For the first exercises i use the Tello EDU App on my Samsung Tab A tablet. I noticed some difficulties now.
First of all most of the time the EDU is performing the program with a little break between the commands. eg. Go Left, it waits 2-5 sec, go back ...
But Sometimes it performes the programm without a break.
What i also noticed was that it was not responding to the "Flip" command, while the simulation does it well.
Sometimes when i try to rearrange the programm the last "Block" always jumpes up to the second command!
As i´m absolutely new to coding i have no clue what might be the cause.
Bad APP? Bad Drone? Bad WLAN connection?
Maybe some of you have some ideas.
Thanks

My plan was to learn step by step as i have absolutely no coding background. First some basics to get a clue of the possibilities. Then i wanted to get deeper into the matter with python.
To start with the way more advanced step brings frustration. I learned that lesson when i first tried coding a Anki Cozmo Robot with Python. It was just frustrating so i never did any further trys
again and my Cozmo is sitting in it´s cradle since then :-(

My plan was to learn step by step as i have absolutely no coding background. First some basics to get a clue of the possibilities. Then i wanted to get deeper into the matter with python.
To start with the way more advanced step brings frustration. I learned that lesson when i first tried coding a Anki Cozmo Robot with Python. It was just frustrating so i never did any further trys again and my Cozmo is sitting in it´s cradle since then :-(

Cozmo owner, too :) My new Tello now also sits next to the Cozmo...

If by chance you are an iPad owner (and capable of some basic English) you definitely should try Apple's (Swift) Playgrounds. There is a clear and easy to understand learning path to master programming your Tello step by step. In addition, you may also use the mission pads of the Edu Tello to do some cool extra stuff (mission pad download link).

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 26
Hello, i´m a 41Y old, lucky owner of a Tello EDU in Germany. I bought this drone to learn a bit about programming. For the first exercises i use the Tello EDU App on my Samsung Tab A tablet. I noticed some difficulties now.
First of all most of the time the EDU is performing the program with a little break between the commands. eg. Go Left, it waits 2-5 sec, go back ...
But Sometimes it performes the programm without a break.
What i also noticed was that it was not responding to the "Flip" command, while the simulation does it well.
Sometimes when i try to rearrange the programm the last "Block" always jumpes up to the second command!
As i´m absolutely new to coding i have no clue what might be the cause.
Bad APP? Bad Drone? Bad WLAN connection?
Maybe some of you have some ideas.
Thanks
Flips are not executed if the battery level is not high enough.

Probably solved in the meantime, but maybe someone is still interested.

Pausing between the commands is possibly caused by Tello.
When using the SDK, see if and when Tello responds with "ok".
Your program should wait until "ok" (or an error message) is received before sending the next command.
After executing a movement, Tello takes some time to achieve a stable position before sending "ok".
The better the light conditions, the quicker a stable position is achieved.

Hello, I am trying to get mission pads to work with my Tello Edu drones. My goal is to have the drone go to a position on the first mission pad and then jump to every other mission pad in the square. I keep getting the 'no valid marker' error even though I think my drones are within the mission pad detection range. Does anyone have any experience with this error? Does it definitely mean that the drone is not in the mission pad detection range? Here is the python code I'm using. Any help would be much appreciated!

# Import the necessary modules
import socket
import threading
import time

# IP and port of Tello
tello1_address = ('192.168.0.102', 8889)

# IP and port of local computer
local1_address = ('', 8400)

# Create a UDP connection that we'll send the command to
sock1 = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)

# Bind to the local address and port
sock1.bind(local1_address)

# Send the message to Tello and allow for a delay in seconds
def send(message, delay):
try: # Try to send the message otherwise print the exception
sock1.sendto(message.encode('utf-8'), tello1_address)
print("Sending message: " + message)

except Exception as e:
print("Error sending: " + str(e))

time.sleep(delay) # Delay for a user-defined period of time

def receive(): # Receive the message from Tello
while True: # Continuously loop and listen for incoming messages
try: # Try to receive the message otherwise print the exception
response1, ip_address = sock1.recvfrom(128)
print("Received message: from Tello EDU #1: " + response1.decode(encoding='utf-8'))

except Exception as e:
# If there's an error close the socket and break out of the loop
sock1.close()
print("Error receiving: " + str(e))
break

# Create and start a listening thread that runs in the background
# This utilizes our receive functions and will continuously monitor for incoming messages
receiveThread = threading.Thread(target=receive)
receiveThread.daemon = True
receiveThread.start()

# Put Tello into command mode
send("command", 3)

# enable mission pad detection
send("mon", 5)

# enable forward and downward detection
send("mdirection 2", 5)

# Send the takeoff command
send("takeoff", 8)

# fly to each mission pad
send("go 0 0 21 10 m4", 5)
send("jump 0 0 21 10 90 m4 m1", 8)
send("jump 0 0 21 10 90 m1 m2", 8)
send("jump 0 0 21 10 90 m2 m3", 8)
send("jump 0 0 21 10 90 m3 m4", 8)

# check battery
send("battery?", 8)

# Land
send("land", 4)

# Print message
print("Mission completed successfully!")

# Close the socket
sock1.close()

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv