Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello full screen Goggles for VR (Virtual Reality) or FPV (First Person View)

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi,

I read a lot in this forum about VR (Virtual Reality) capability implemented intoTello apps.

If you want to enjoy FPV (First person view) you DONT need any special app feature. Use your favorite flight app and a FPV full screen goggles. Dont be confused with split screen goggles (one image for each eye). I'm talking about cheap Foam googles with a single lens that provides a single image for both eyes.

NEW-Latest-Quanum-V2-PRO-lens.jpg

I succesful flight FPV using my old Hobbiking Quanum V2 Pro. Image quality is amazing. Incredible flight experience.

Quanum bricolaje FPV Goggle V2 Pro

NEW-Latest-Quanum-V2-PRO.jpg Quanum-V2-PRO-sample.jpg

I removed the included low resolution LCD screen and glued the mobile phone holder included into kit box.

quanum pro phone holder.jpg

There are a wide wariety of foam FPV goggles into the market. You can even entirely build by yoursef

Another pair of DIY FPV Goggles

I hope it helps

Raul
----

Last edited:
Reactions: amletka
I succesfully flew Tello using VR Quanum Googles.

It was a wonderful experience. I recommend it everyone.

Flying inmmersion is absolute. You feel yourself inside drone. Is like flying.

And you do not have to worry about the sun's reflections anymore.

Some photos attached here.

Cheers

tello quanum 1.JPG

tello quanum 2.JPG

tello quanum 3.JPG

Reactions: Alan Bathurst
D5DF7323-E164-42F4-AC2B-ADAB91573109.jpeg
My povo FPV setup is using google cardboard and the gamesir t1d. I would have to remove the phone to take off again and then enter VR mode. That’s until I figured out the shortcut keys on the game sir controller and I don’t do that anymore, lol.
Combine it with a wifi repeater and this little device is quite full on for FPV.

Totally different experience to my walkera 215 furious quadcopter.

Cheers,
ph2t.

After many VR flights I am very happy with this configuration. I higly recommned everyone give it a try:

tello quanum vr googles 1.jpg
tello quanum v r googles 2.jpg

I heard that previous Drone Vr apps developed by DJI include tello as one of their in apps purchase device. There is second VR view features that you can share view with friends. But unfortunately it doesn’t support anymore. They exclude tello due to unknown reason. I like to control my tello using atellopilot in the same time view VR with another phone using Drone Vr. I hope dji do something about it soon. So for bad english, non native speaker here.

I succesfully flew Tello using VR Quanum Googles.

It was a wonderful experience. I recommend it everyone.

Flying inmmersion is absolute. You feel yourself inside drone. Is like flying.

And you do not have to worry about the sun's reflections anymore.

Some photos attached here.

Cheers
Is this the Goggles with monitor inside or is that your phone ?

Has anyone tried these using a pair of reading glasses ?

Thanks
Paul

Is this the Goggles with monitor inside or is that your phone ?

Has anyone tried these using a pair of reading glasses ?

Thanks
Paul

800×480 5 inches monitor included into Quanum Goggles, but I removed it an use my mobile phone as a monitor. Foam pieces have been included into the gogles kit for that.

cheers.

Unless I'm missing the point somewhere, this still doesn't address the issue with lag/latency in the video due to using a phone for both telemetry and video on 2.4 ghz. Or, maybe it's just me. I fly mine in the house without a Wi-Fi repeater (which I know a number of folks swear by) and I find the lag disconcerting. But, YMMV!

Unless I'm missing the point somewhere, this still doesn't address the issue with lag/latency in the video due to using a phone for both telemetry and video on 2.4 ghz. Or, maybe it's just me. I fly mine in the house without a Wi-Fi repeater (which I know a number of folks swear by) and I find the lag disconcerting. But, YMMV!
What sort of latency do you require for FPV?

Tello can do about 175ms +- 5ms for the video. Plus under 10ms from control input to drone for onscreen, and maybe 15-20ms for external controller (hard to measure). Total roundtrip 190-200ms + the command processing lag of Tello's FC.
That is decend (for Wifi FPV) but not near-realtime like analogue FPV.

And that's the point I should have made earlier..all my other drones use 5.8 ghz for FPV..this is the first time I've attempted anything using wifi for control and video. That's why it seems so slow to me. So, I have a choice-either add on a small vtx/camera combo, or learn to live with the lag (and maybe buy a repeater). I do appreciate the info on the latency. Good to know. About 2/10 of a second is what we're looking at.

And that's the point I should have made earlier..all my other drones use 5.8 ghz for FPV..this is the first time I've attempted anything using wifi for control and video. That's why it seems so slow to me. So, I have a choice-either add on a small vtx/camera combo, or learn to live with the lag (and maybe buy a repeater). I do appreciate the info on the latency. Good to know. About 2/10 of a second is what we're looking at.
The ~175ms for video and <10ms for onscreen is based on TelloFpv. I don't know the Ryze Tello App's control loop performance, but video is a bit slower at around 230ms.

That only matters if you fly in speed mode. In slow mode the FC filters all input and response times are much longer. For example after releasing the sticks Tello keeps its attitude for maybe 200ms, then slides along for another 200ms, then counters the movement and hovers.

Hi all,

For your information, recently I upgraded to larger phone Samsung Galaxy A40, 6 inches screen width. Tello flying experience improved a lot.

I was able to make room for using that enlarged phone into my beloved HK Quanum V2 Pro FPV single lenses googles.

I had to perform a quick fix, removing foam edge used for monitor restraint. This is a irreversible mod but I don't care about it.

Only tool needed is a sharp cutter or even better a coping saw.

Some pictures attached for help.

Have fun

Raul

1447-9bc56b52d3bc4506690007b39ad16c05.jpg hk quanum v2 pro enlarged phone 1 .jpg hk quanum v2 pro enlarged phone  2.jpg hk quanum v2 pro enlarged phone 3.jpg

View attachment 1662
My povo FPV setup is using google cardboard and the gamesir t1d. I would have to remove the phone to take off again and then enter VR mode. That’s until I figured out the shortcut keys on the game sir controller and I don’t do that anymore, lol.
Combine it with a wifi repeater and this little device is quite full on for FPV.

Totally different experience to my walkera 215 furious quadcopter.

Cheers,
ph2t.

Hi, I'm trying something similar with the cardboard headset and wondered if you could help me out, pls: My one has 45mm focal length lenses so each eye cannot see the whole screen (made this way for 3d VR). If I remove the lenses I can't focus on the screen because it is too close. What did you do?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv