Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello is a Wind Beast

Thisbeaux

Reaction score
I remember reading reviews where people would complain out it not flying in the wind. I had 20-30 gusts today and TelloBird was hanging in there amazing! Got mi WiFi repeater going. Gave the bird a little paint job. Took off the guards. I got some nice footage of my neighborhood and my land out in the country. Loving this thing more everyday
Happy Droning. -beaux

I think it's brave describing it as super stable! This is a public forum with a lot of first time users, if you can get the Tello up to 2m in sport mode and the VPS active then it does a good job.

Not everyone who has lost a battle with the wind is an idiot.

I agree though, being super cautious in V mode at take off can lead to an early bath. You would think the Tello would take off to a level where full attitude was available.

I remember reading reviews where people would complain out it not flying in the wind. I had 20-30 gusts today and TelloBird was hanging in there amazing! Got mi WiFi repeater going. Gave the bird a little paint job. Took off the guards. I got some nice footage of my neighborhood and my land out in the country. Loving this thing more everyday
Happy Droning. -beaux

Let's see the paint job!

Tello is super stable if in sport mode and above 1.5m altitude.
Its just that newbies takeoff in video mode, hover in 0.5m and wonder why Tello is blow away by even a bird's fart
Most definitely sport mode!!. The little drone is extremely durable too. I crashed it 2 times hard. The blades are still good. Got my steelseries xl controller connected BT through TelloFPV. But it seems a little off. Trying to set the functions. I was just trying to get the feel of a controller. I guess I need a gamesir t1d and wired Not blue tooth? Are they hard to find? Currently running TelloFPV with a cheap Samsung tablet I had. Can’t wait to find a good deal on a Samsung S8 or whatever. 60D7DC48-04CB-4115-A135-2B6E7EF0B1E0.jpeg51560C12-1F45-47B6-8159-50A20652A682.jpeg

I think it's brave describing it as super stable! This is a public forum with a lot of first time users, if you can get the Tello up to 2m in sport mode and the VPS active then it does a good job.

I agree though, being super cautious in V mode at take off can lead to an early bath. You would think the Tello would take off to a level where full attitude was available.
For a $100 drone it is amazing!!!

Most definitely sport mode!!. The little drone is extremely durable too. I crashed it 2 times hard. The blades are still good. Got my steelseries xl controller connected BT through TelloFPV. But it seems a little off. Trying to set the functions. I was just trying to get the feel of a controller. I guess I need a gamesir t1d and wired Not blue tooth? Are they hard to find? Currently running TelloFPV with a cheap Samsung tablet I had. Can’t wait to find a good deal on a Samsung S8 or whatever. View attachment 5747View attachment 5746
CD5F1CA8-8474-410E-A054-5C81AB4383B8.png

Reactions: Madman
Happy Droning. -beaux
Hello my friend, do you know the max speed wind can support the Tello ? Km or Milles ( 10-12 km/h) mine starts fighting At 10 mts high

Granted, maybe a bit too brave without further qualification... Lets rephrase: Tello is super stable if the pilot knows what he is doing.

The vast majority is people who loose Tello are no idiots but either inexperienced, too lazy to read the manual, or don't know much about wind. And a few just pushing the limits.

There is a couple of reasons why people loose Tello to wind: Video mode to begin with. Sport mode but restricted attitude angles. Not gaining altitude quickly. Flying over a surface where VPS can't lock a position (grass in wind). Underestimating the dramatic increase in windspeed over say 5-10m altitude.

Having said that Tello is in my opinion super stable:
If one takes off in Sportmode with max attitude angles enabled and climbs straight to 1.5m Tello can withstand constant F4 with higher gusts and maintain a stable hover. If blown away a few meters it returns by itself.
I have never seen any other drone of similar size that is able to maintain a hover in similar conditions. Which IMO makes Tello super stable (in relative terms of course).

It's quite funny the difference in wind speed when you get up in the air. It's a shame the manual doesn't cover some of the potential techniques. I've never lost mine in the wind they're really good for the size. The change in motor speed is great when she's fighting the wind.

The paint job looks cool too, sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Reactions: Thisbeaux
It's quite funny the difference in wind speed when you get up in the air. It's a shame the manual doesn't cover some of the potential techniques. I've never lost mine in the wind they're really good for the size. The change in motor speed is great when she's fighting the wind.

The paint job looks cool too, sorry to hi-jack the thread.
actually many wind problems are IMO caused by this ill-conceived safety feature to cut down attitude angles below 1.5m
Several people have complained at Ryze via Facebook to no avail.

☝What volate!lo said! ⬇⬇
and don’t forget these things are super inexpensive. ???
Somebody should attach an anemometer to a Mavic and fly up to catch wind speeds. My tello definitely drifted off a few times, but I kept a good eye on it and was able to real it in. I feel like it helps to keep it headed into the wind. I’m getting pretty good with it. I came inches away from the top of my neighbors tree, I slammed into my brick wall and my fence. I’ll say it again, it performs great in the wind!!! and is extremely durable!!! I just started reading about attitude angles... ?

Somebody should attach an anemometer to a Mavic and fly up to catch wind speeds.
:D not so sure about that LOL but we should all collaborate and make a comprehensive list of all of Tellos' shortcomings, idiosyncrasies, and ill-advised firmware quirks? Should I start a thread on it?

I've also been impressed by Tellos' ability to handle wind - under all the right circumstances.

Reactions: Kyle Knox
:D not so sure about that LOL but we should all collaborate and make a comprehensive list of all of Tellos' shortcomings, idiosyncrasies, and ill-advised firmware quirks? Should I start a thread on it?

I've also been impressed by Tellos' ability to handle wind - under all the right circumstances.
I think a Mavic sidekick shadowing a tello at about 100’ with an anemometer to give current wind speed numbers would be great for diagnosing the true capabilities of the much smaller Tello drone. But that would require some research...
In my short “hands on” experience, the tello has outperformed itself manyfold.
My previous quadcopters, years ago, consist of a Syma big blade, low battery life, will not hover in place whatsoever, crash a lot. Propellers are gear driven. Lol. ($40ish). But miraculously I never broke the propellers. I can’t find the battery. 5C8D4A0E-D209-41FB-A928-6F563A1E8FA7.jpeg50107661-E64B-498F-B49E-0BEFCC4AA47B.pngC75EA348-27C8-4CD2-A76A-3D4F2A7EEB29.pngA719BAB8-E8BB-4672-877A-2E45EB13F003.png718F6F34-2359-4449-BFE8-B9BABA7553B6.png8B8103FD-5D29-459C-990E-ACBCAFF7929E.png2B918A07-87B0-40C1-A09D-381C307419EE.pngCE89BEBB-A17F-4CED-B455-CAAE0218F603.png
I have a parrot bebop. ($40ish). I just ordered a new battery for it. Kinda cool indoor drone with wagon wheel protection. It Can drive across the ceilings. Lol. I also have a cpl mini sharper image drones. ($20 and one free) I’ll send a picture of my hangar one of these days. It has grown substantially the last few weeks.

That being said, I took the tello out again and got quite cocky today, in the wind, at the park. I shattered my first propellers. Slammed into a tree. Thanks to the wind. Darn tello. Lol . I have spares so tello didn’t mind.

I continue to be impressed with the value and durability and overall experience of the tello for $100. Mine was refurbished with 3 batteries and charger station for $80. Best toy I ever bought.

The tello is the honey badger of drones. Tello drone don’t care. I will be heartbroken when something severe happens to it. Until then ...

drone on
Beaux

Reactions: CaptK
Your Parrot surely isn't a Bebop. Must be something else. The bebop is 300gr, brushless, MSRP $600, now typically $150 used. And it does not have any training wheels :)

Reactions: elJona
actually many wind problems are IMO caused by this ill-conceived safety feature to cut down attitude angles below 1.5m
Several people have complained at Ryze via Facebook to no avail.

They were good when I emailed them direct every day. Shall we have a group effort?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv