Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello isn't satisfying me :(

NealJ777

Reaction score
Website
nealjacob.com
I'm completely new to drones. I gifted myself a Ryze Tello. I flew it around the house a few times, but I've yet to fly it outside. It's either been raining every day or too windy for the Tello to handle. This is extremely unsatisfying. I'm thinking of returning it because the last day to return it would be this Saturday. I would have to pay a 15% restocking fee.

I do not have the funds right now for something like a Spark. So, should I return the Tello and get something to satisfy my drone itch, like maybe a Yuneec Breeze (feel free to suggest something else) or should I just grin and bear it and save some $$ until I have enough for a Spark or Mavic Air?

Reactions: Bullytrader
The Tello is the best you will find for that price range. Other than a 13Mp 4K camera, the Breeze does not offer anything the Tello doesn't already have and costs 3 times more. Honestly at that price range, I would buy a Spark. Although it's a 1080p camera, it has 2 axis gimbal, front facing sensors, many more features that the Breeze will never have for the same price.

Try flying outside with the wind. Unless there are really strong winds, you will be surprised on how well the Tello flies with wind. Just remember to switch to Fast Mode.

Edit: Almost forgot, the Breeze is required to be registered with the FAA. The Tello does not.

I fly a Phantom 4 Pro and I can tell you, the Tello is much more fun to fly than the Phantom.

Reactions: sadatoni
I agree with Ansia, unless they're strong winds, take the Tello out and try it. Just don't shoot straight up to 30m or send it buzzing as far away from you as possible right off the bat. Get a feel for it near you and the ground first.

I've had mine out in some setting breezes maybe 10mph, and it was doable. It had to work when flying into the wind but it did it.

Mikeg

I'm completely new to drones. I gifted myself a Ryze Tello. I flew it around the house a few times, but I've yet to fly it outside. It's either been raining every day or too windy for the Tello to handle. This is extremely unsatisfying. I'm thinking of returning it because the last day to return it would be this Saturday. I would have to pay a 15% restocking fee.

I do not have the funds right now for something like a Spark. So, should I return the Tello and get something to satisfy my drone itch, like maybe a Yuneec Breeze (feel free to suggest something else) or should I just grin and bear it and save some $$ until I have enough for a Spark or Mavic Air?

My other drones are just collecting dust...

What exactly is it that is frustrating?

Tello is the best choice for first time droner. Why ? its cheaper, durable, and stable camera. For more reference you could watch youtube channel like Droneflyer or quadcopter101.

If you are up for a challenge you could try something like the Eachine H8 mini. Less than $20CAN. It does not have any pilot assisting functions like VPS ( Vision Position System) so will not hover in one place without you using the controls to do so. It is lots of fun to fly and does flips like the Tello. It does not have a camera.

Here’s mine:
03A017D2-A816-4B9D-882A-5B6DC6D1840A.jpeg
Chris

I played around outside a little. The sun was setting and it was still windy. The Tello app gave me a "wind warning." I didn't fly very long, but I did try a little flying. I should have recorded the whole thing, but I didn't. A neighbor's kid was outside and proclaimed "Wow! That's a cool drone!" So, since the Tello is cool, I guess I should keep it!  

My Tello test flight (only a few seconds) - I should have recorded more of my flight. I'll do that next time. It was still a little windy.

I think it’s a lot of fun to fly in doors. Let’s face it it’s only $100. It’s a toy. When I want to get serious I take out the inspired or the Mavic. And actually I found the Mavic to get boring after a while. The inspire is whole different level of flying.

Hello Fellow Tello Pilot and Virginian,
I'm sort of in the same boat about unsatisfying after owning a DJI Phantom 1 about 4 fours years ago.
I'm trying to soften my wife up enough for me to spend for the DJI Mavic pro. (distance and 4K is my goal)

I feel ya totally but I'm not taking anything away from the tello. I truly think this drone which I only paid $79 for is worth it!!
However having a drone you can move a couple of miles is more satisfying.

I feel ya totally but I'm not taking anything away from the tello. I truly think this drone which I only paid $79 for is worth it!!
However having a drone you can move a couple of miles is more satisfying.
I disagree. I prefer to fly the Tello and satisfy my flying urges, than to take my phantom, which does everything for me.

Other than to record great views, it's a boring machine.

I think it’s a lot of fun to fly in doors. Let’s face it it’s only $100. It’s a toy. When I want to get serious I take out the inspired or the Mavic. And actually I found the Mavic to get boring after a while. The inspire is whole different level of flying.
This is my next goal. I will keep this in mind. I am waiting on DJI to release the Inspire with Ocusync.

The Breeze and Tello are two different animals entirely. You're not flying the Breeze indoors unless you have a HUGE space. The Tello outdoors is a very dicey situation. I have both and use them very differently. I also have a Parrot Anafi which is also an entirely different beast for a different purpose.

The Breeze is an excellent choice to get started in the outside drone world. If you can swing around $200ish, look at the Parrot Bebop 2, which is an excellent starter as well. That has a much better range and battery life than the Breeze, but not as friendly as a Selfie Drone, which the Breeze very much is.

I hope this helps.

The tello is great! I flew it outside, just make sure the wind is less than 15mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There must be something wrong with mine then. If I flew mine outside in anything close to a 14mph wind I'd never see her again. The slightest breeze (no pun intended) takes it away.

There must be something wrong with mine then. If I flew mine outside in anything close to a 14mph wind I'd never see her again. The slightest breeze (no pun intended) takes it away.
Did you put yours in fast mode? I fly in 10-15mph all the time. It's always windy in the caribbean.

Reactions: xcrost
I have and that's fine for fighting against the wind, but if I were to stop moving in the opposite direction, my baby is going for a ride. It's nothing like a GPS quad. Can the Tello be flown outside like that. Sure. Is there anything enjoyable or "satisfying" about that? For me, no. Not when you can pick up a Yuneez Breeze 4k for just about the same money (or less).

Yuneec Breeze Drone YUNFCAUSWAL 4K Camera (Bluetooth Controller Included) NEW 813646029386 | eBay

I actually paid $98 for mine with the controller from this same vendor just before Christmas. Completely different outdoor experience.

Last edited:
I have and that's fine for fighting against the wind, but if I were to stop moving in the opposite direction, my baby is going for a ride. It's nothing like a GPS quad. Can the Tello be flown outside like that. Sure. Is there anything enjoyable or "satisfying" about that? For me, no. Not when you can pick up a Yuneez Breeze 4k for just about the same money (or less).

Yuneec Breeze Drone YUNFCAUSWAL 4K Camera (Bluetooth Controller Included) NEW 813646029386 | eBay

I actually paid $98 for mine with the controller from this same vendor just before Christmas. Completely different outdoor experience.
Well then, here is the link to the Yuneec forums. So you can get the most out of your Breeze.
yp_240x112.png

Yuneec Drone Forum

I have and that's fine for fighting against the wind, but if I were to stop moving in the opposite direction, my baby is going for a ride. It's nothing like a GPS quad. Can it the Tello be flown outside like that. Sure. Is there anything enjoyable or "satisfying" about that? For me. No. Not when you can pick up a Yuneez Breeze for just about the same money.

Tello should do just fine in a breeze (hehe) . see here

The only thing it doesn't like is flying low in any winds. You have to bring her up quickly to 2m or more and use fast mode. Below 2m Tello seems to reduce attitude, my guess is to make it a safe indoor toy. If you are trying to hover a hip height its blown away quickly.

For 100 bucks the breeze is decent, but its large, slow, has less real world flight time than a Tello, and has the same problem as all brushless quads: It draws unwanted attention and makes a scary amount of noise. But video looks batter than Tello.

Well then, here is the link to the Yuneec forums. So you can get the most out of your Breeze.
View attachment 2545

Yuneec Drone Forum

Thank you. I find them to be, like this group, a very friendly bunch of folks with lots of useful information and advice. These forums are such a great resource. Now's a good time to give a special thanks to the folks that run and participate in these these forums for providing us this online community for all of us to get the most out of and share our quad experiences. KUDOS, folks!

Reactions: D.Davis
View attachment 2545

Yuneec Drone Forum

Thank you. I find them to be, like this group, a very friendly group of folks with lots of useful information and advice. These forums are such a great resource. Now's a good time to give a special thanks to the folks that run and participate in these these forums for providing u
Tello should do just fine in a breeze (hehe) . see here

The only thing it doesn't like is flying low in any winds. You have to bring her up quickly to 2m or more and use fast mode. Below 2m Tello seems to reduce attitude, my guess is to make it a safe indoor toy. If you are trying to hover a hip height its blown away quickly.

For 100 bucks the breeze is decent, but its large, slow, has less real world flight time than a Tello, and has the same problem as all brushless quads: It draws unwanted attention and makes a scary amount of noise. But video looks batter than Tello.

s this online community for all of us to get the most out of and share our quad experiences. KUDOS, folks!
Thank you. I find them to be, like this group, a very friendly bunch of folks with lots of useful information and advice. These forums are such a great resource. Now's a good time to give a special thanks to the folks that run and participate in these these forums for providing us this online community for all of us to get the most out of and share our quad experiences. KUDOS, folks!

volate!lo: That's amazing video. Do you think the issue I had with flyaway is because I didn't have the courage to let her get that high. My experience has been that, on take off, the wind grabs a hold of her (even with guards off). I am wondering if I'd have better results if I "grew a pair" and let her loose? I'll try to find a wide open field to try this out. I was trying to use my Tello for selfies which, almost by definition, is a lower altitude. This is going to be interesting. Thanks for the cool video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv