Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello isn't satisfying me :(

volate!lo: That's amazing video. Do you think the issue I had with flyaway is because I didn't have the courage to let her get that high. My experience has been that, on take off, the wind grabs a hold of her (even with guards off). I am wondering if I'd have better results if I "grew a pair" and let her loose? I'll try to find a wide open field to try this out. I was trying to use my Tello for selfies which, almost by definition, is a lower altitude. This is going to be interesting. Thanks for the cool video.
Tello's firmware makes it sluggish when below roughly 2m altitude, it just reduces the maximum attitude angle. My guess is to make this a safe indoor fun toy.
But this is not limited to user input but also affects the firmware's own activities during hover (not really a smart move by Ryze as this leads to fly aways at hip height!).
The lower you fly the worse it gets, even in sport mode. Shortly before touching ground you don't have any control at all and Tello starts to drift even indoors in it's own prop wash!

So yes, you have to let her go up to ~2m to make her fight the wind. Do not make a throw-takeoff or Tello will think your hand is 0 and you have to climb even higher.

The Breeze is an excellent choice to get started in the outside drone world. If you can swing around $200ish, look at the Parrot Bebop 2, which is an excellent starter as well.

Thank you Scott. I'll look into the Parrot. I have until Saturday to make my decision on whether or not to keep the Tello. My house is really not laid out for indoor drone flight. I can't understand why the builders didn't think of this when they built the house 40-ish years ago! :D

If I return the Tello, I have to pay a 15% restocking fee. So, I might just hold on to it and start saving $$$ for something else. I did watch the YouTube video of the Tello at the beach and I guess I'm just not that brave. Today it is incredibly wicked windy out! Today is trash day and several trash cans have been blown over.

I purchased a WiFi extender from Amazon. I want to go take the Tello out to a local field that has an old chimney left from a house fire. The house is completely gone, but the chimney is still there. I want to go fly the Tello around and get some shots!

I'm not discrediting the Bebop 2, but for that amount of money, you can also get the Spark, which is a great drone for the same price.

Edit: Here is a link so you can see the differences and choose which is right for you.

DJI Spark vs Parrot Bebop 2 FPV: Which is Better?

Last edited:
I'm not discrediting the Bebop 2, but for that amount of money, you can also get the Spark, which is a great drone for the same price.

Yeah.... No funds right now for a Spark. That's why I ended up with the Tello. I didn't really do a lot of research before buying a drone. If I were going to buy a drone right now (instead of two weeks ago) I would probably lean more toward the Breeze, but since I already have the Tello, I think I'm probably going to hang on to it. If I return it, I will lose 15% on a restocking fee.

Yeah.... No funds right now for a Spark. That's why I ended up with the Tello. I didn't really do a lot of research before buying a drone. If I were going to buy a drone right now (instead of two weeks ago) I would probably lean more toward the Breeze, but since I already have the Tello, I think I'm probably going to hang on to it. If I return it, I will lose 15% on a restocking fee.
I'll be honest. I own a Phantom, and between the Tello and the Phantom, I always find myself taking out the Tello. It's just that much more fun to fly than the bigger drones.

Thank you Scott. I'll look into the Parrot. I have until Saturday to make my decision on whether or not to keep the Tello. My house is really not laid out for indoor drone flight. I can't understand why the builders didn't think of this when they built the house 40-ish years ago! :D

If I return the Tello, I have to pay a 15% restocking fee. So, I might just hold on to it and start saving $$$ for something else. I did watch the YouTube video of the Tello at the beach and I guess I'm just not that brave. Today it is incredibly wicked windy out! Today is trash day and several trash cans have been blown over.

I purchased a WiFi extender from Amazon. I want to go take the Tello out to a local field that has an old chimney left from a house fire. The house is completely gone, but the chimney is still there. I want to go fly the Tello around and get some shots!

I got my Tello for indoor flying too and for quick outdoor shots in the backyard (ice rink, etc.). Like you I find my house is not really set up for indoor flying (side split with lots of small rooms and the ceilings aren't very high). Outside in my yard its a different story - the yard is big with lots of trees and is in a built up neighbourhood. This is where my Tello works best. Although I have a Spark, it is not really suitable for flying around in my backyard for quick shots and video - the Tello is better!

As long as there is not much wind, flying the Tello around the chimney should be a great way to test what it can do. Just keep an eye on your signal and don't let it drop too low or you may find yourself in an unexpected Autoland situation.

I got my Mi WiFi extender a couple of days ago and after a few hours of pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get it to work, I was finally able to clone my Tello's WiFi to the extender and am amazed at how well it works. Yesterday I was out taking shots of the ice freeze-up/break up with my Phantom 3 Standard and decided to try the Tello with the extender. I had a strong signal for probably about 50m and the video never skipped a frame. Here's a pano shot from about 15m up (4 images).
TELLO-Pano.jpg

The Tello is a pretty capable little drone for the cost, and works surprisingly well when you take some time to figure out its limitations.

Chris

Reactions: flug1000
I also own other drones, a Spark and Mavic Platinum, but like many of you, I always have my unique little Tello handy for a quick launch and nifty photos. It's so easy to put up when you want some nice photos or to see a higher perspective. It's a very capable little fellow and very popular.

I to purchased a Tello a few days ago. I purchased it mainly to fly in the house when I get bored. And I must say this little thing is very impressive. I figured I would see what it was like outside in 7 mile an hour winds. I was surprised at how well it holds position. The range is not very good though I must say but can’t expect too much for a drawing that was designed for indoor flight. When I want to get serious I pull out the big boy anyway. 62EF5888-A6C9-474D-8129-3E90F9B37CA4.jpeg

IMHO Users who do not think the Tello can perform in heavy wind are mistaken. Sure there are limitations, As with anything.

The Tello is an amazing drone and I'm glad I didn't listen to the advice of my friend and purchased it. Here is a picture I took at 30 meters with my Tello. I know some of you saw it in another thread, but I don't care.
2019-01-12 092038.jpg
And here is the same picture, from the same height from a drone worth 15 times the price of the Tello.
DJI_0001.JPG
For some reason DJI drone's make things appear closer than they really are. Both photos were taken from the exact same position. Besides the close up look and the wider field of view, one can argue that you can appreciate all the details the more expensive drone shows in the Tello's photo.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies and feedback. I decided to keep the Tello. I really have to get out more and fly it so I can really become comfortable with flying.

Here's a test flight

And here's another test flight

It snowed last night and it's snowing right now as I type this, so I won't be taking the Tello out to play for some snow shots.

Reactions: Floyd75
Thank you, everyone, for the replies and feedback. I decided to keep the Tello. I really have to get out more and fly it so I can really become comfortable with flying.

Here's a test flight

And here's another test flight

It snowed last night and it's snowing right now as I type this, so I won't be taking the Tello out to play for some snow shots.
DJI/Ryze have done a pretty good job of sealing the motherboard so a flight in the snow shouldn't cause problems. I wouldn't abuse it though! Here's my lil guy:

There ya go! That's the spirit! One thing to mention. Tello needs a textured ground to operate correctly. If the ground is solid white it can/will fly away

Well, there you go, being a buzz kill!!!!! :D

The driveway I already shoveled is covered with snow.

I do have one of these but somehow I don't think that will suffice.

Reactions: xcrost
Well, there you go, being a buzz kill!!!!! :D

The driveway I already shoveled is covered with snow.

I do have one of these but somehow I don't think that will suffice.
Well you can scatter several objects on your driveway and that will work ...IDK like a bunch of colored paper plates or something. The VPS just needs some reference points under the tello

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv