Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello lube or not lube

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been into hobby for years and I know lubing electric motor is a controversial issue.

Some people are in favor and others against lubrication.

In my case, I prefer not lubing unles problems start, that is what happened to me.

My tello is five months old. He has 20 flight hours, acording Tello specifications thats about one half of its effective 40 hours lifespan Brushed motors life expectancy (now with answer from Ryze)

Lately it started to drift a lot after take off. I had an on-screen warning saying "abnormal takeoff"

tello abnormal takeoff.jpg

Before perform recommended calibration I gently spin propellers using my hands and I notice one of them spinning worse than the others.

I decide lubing using "Lubra Metallic". It's a lubricant oil used for electric race cars. Applicator has a very practical steel needle.

First, I lube central shaft

tello lubing shaft.jpg

I lube two small side holes too.

tello lubing holes.jpg

After lubbing defective motor rotates correctly again. It seems problem is solved :)

For safe I performed a IMU and Center of Gravity calibration using Tello stock app.

tello calibration screen.jpg

I do not recommend anyone to do this yet, as it can damage engines.

I´ll keep you informed in case lubrication gives me some problem.

I hope it helps.

Raul.

How did you find out your flight time? Or was that a guesstimate?

I kept every recorded video flight since I bought my Tello ;)

That way knowing flight time in Windows is as easy as open a File Explorer Window, select all video files, properties, detail.

An example here, summarizing three video files, eight, four and five minutes length.

video file properties.jpg

You can collect better information from your automated saved LOG video files. Unfortunately, I only started saving LOGs recently.

atellopilot log saving.jpg

Best regards.

Reactions: Ansia and Barry IOW
Hi,

Is I promised here I am :cool:

After two months and over ten more flying hours my Tello is still flying perfect.

I often check motors by gently spin propellers and all of them turn soft like butter.

I can stay on the air up to 11 minutes on each battery.

I never thought little tello would flight so much giving me such good moments

All the best, tello pilots

Raul

Reactions: Ansia
I wonder how Bluejune detects an abnormal takeoff.
I doubt he has experienced all these error conditions so he must have had access to some Ryze sources...

I wonder how Bluejune detects an abnormal takeoff.
I doubt he has experienced all these error conditions so he must have had access to some Ryze sources...
I thought it was part of the firmware. Guess I was wrong.

Tello reports lots of flags, some bit here, some bit there. Some error codes. But thats just say "65" which doesn't tell me anything. Also I don't even know that 65 exists as an error code until it happens. Thats how I found the IMU error: my Tello failed with IMU problems

But it Bluejune has deciphered these codes somehow, so he must have had access to some specification, or Ryze source code. Maybe they forgot to obfuscate one of their early app versions

Tello reports lots of flags, some bit here, some bit there. Some error codes. But thats just say "65" which doesn't tell me anything. Also I don't even know that 65 exists as an error code until it happens. Thats how I found the IMU error: my Tello failed with IMU problems

But it Bluejune has deciphered these codes somehow, so he must have had access to some specification, or Ryze source code. Maybe they forgot to obfuscate one of their early app versions
I don't know much about programing, but can the APK be extracted and see some list for these codes?

So, did the lube hurt the motor?
I just find out that one of my tellos motors feels like something is grinding inside and makes an squeaky noise, it does not sping as free as the otheres, the done flies fine, haven't noticed it getting warmer than the others but while i was cleaning it i tried to spin that blade by hand and blowing air with my mouth and i can feel it acts different than the others, i've crashed several times but always with the prop guards, i have never broke a blade always hitting the wall at slow speeds and the done automatically shutting down and falling to the ground, nothing so serious. i dont know if its related but the shaft looks to be straight.

So should i lube the motor or just wait until it dies?

My old Tello was not hurt by lubbing. It keept flying for another five months with no problems. I lost it due pilot mistake and strong winds. Fortunately I got a new one ;)

thanks, i injected just a little bit of lube into the motor, feels way better now. i flew it one and a half battery long, last landing that specific motor stoped slightly before the othres but improved like before that it would stop and the others would turn 5 to 8 times after him.

Turns out it's back the same way, flies fine, should I worry? It's less than a month since I purchased it. Should I seek for warranty?

i just went to the store and they will send it to warranty taking about 30 days to repair. i decided to come back and think about it, maybe easier and faster to buy the motors and replace it myself what do u think?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv