Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello Owners on iOS Unite

Attention Tello owners with iOS. Let’s all request for a Volatello iOS version. The current Tello App is missing the Return to Home feature like the Volatello.
It is not a simple transfer since iOS development uses another programming language. It took him hunreds of hours to setup for android and will take that much time again for ios. There is just not enough money in there for him. Good thing he developed on android since bt controller interference seems to be a massive problem on android which his app circumvents by allowing many otg cable controllers. Iphone does just fine with a bt controller at least speaking from the iphone x i use. Not sure about how good rth can be, never once I felt I needed it. During outdoor flights I make sure the wind is good and have a reliable repeater to not drop signal and lose it far away.

Reactions: Flydrone
I am sure that iOS owners want the TelloFPV app, but the simplest alternative to take advantage of this app is to get a good second-hand Android phone so you don't spend too much and enjoy TelloFPV in all its features.

That’s what I did. I’ll never fly my Tello with my iOS devices again! I love TelloFPV - a big thank you to Volate!lo and all of the testers who help make this the best Android app for flying my Tello.

Just did that for other DJI drones, so I wouldn't have to tie up my iPhone ... and turns out the latest firmware update on DJI GO 4 completely eliminates any video from the drone ... Grrrrrr ... Will try on the tello ...

Like someone said before - after buying Tello need to be buy android phone. I got my Old Huawei P8lite and I fly on this phone, having iPhone X in my pocket at this same moment.
Flying by iPhone X is not as good as flying on android device in my opinion.
On iPhone I got a few times strange error which never doesnt happend to me on android, and on my android device I got better wifi signal (I can fly higher) than on my iOS. Unfortunatelly my iPhone got better screen so photos are look better on iPhone, that is the reason why after fly I need to send all made photos from Huawei ?

Like someone said before - after buying Tello need to be buy android phone. I got my Old Huawei P8lite and I fly on this phone, having iPhone X in my pocket at this same moment.
Flying by iPhone X is not as good as flying on android device in my opinion.
On iPhone I got a few times strange error which never doesnt happend to me on android, and on my android device I got better wifi signal (I can fly higher) than on my iOS. Unfortunatelly my iPhone got better screen so photos are look better on iPhone, that is the reason why after fly I need to send all made photos from Huawei ?

Never had issue with iphonex in terms of error. What error were u getting exactly? Also on iphone alone I could do 110 m far witth no issues

Reactions: Magoo582
Attention Tello owners with iOS. Let’s all request for a Volatello iOS version. The current Tello App is missing the Return to Home feature like the Volatello.
This pops up again and again but well... you can unite and request as long as you want. You can stomp your feet, raise your fist and scream until you get read in the face but it does not change anything. You will not get an IOS version anytime soon.

I have nothing against apple or apple users, but personally I am not using IOS. I tried it once but made an informed decision to live outside the walled garden of happiness.

So what could motivate me to make an IOS version? Money!
Now there is no serious money to be earned as TelloFpv is a small niche app and global IOS market share is small. It would take an IOS version several months to generate enough revenue just to pay off the dedicated hardware required for serious IOS development (a few used test devices, and at least a macmini or macbook).
The Android version does OK, but even that earns way less money than a normal freelance consulting job. Would I do the same again for maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the revenue? sorry, certainly not.

So whats left? Altruism could be an answer, but ... we are not talking about a favour. We are talking about hundreds of hours of work, that is several months fulltime development! Sorry but I am not altruistic enough for that.

So this is just not going to happen - unless I fall in love with IOS which I doubt very much.

I am sure that iOS owners want the TelloFPV app, but the simplest alternative to take advantage of this app is to get a good second-hand Android phone so you don't spend too much and enjoy TelloFPV in all its features.

I have read this thread and I get it. I am ready to start looking for a used Android, but I know nothing about that ecosystem. What type / capability level of an Android device would one need to be happy with using it for a Tello? Thanks.

The spec you need for TelloFpv is: Android 5 (or 6 to be on the safe side), a good screen and at least 1.5-2GB RAM for smooth operation. TelloFpv works on 1GB, but could be choppy. The optional vGPS functionality requires compass, GPS, and camera.

Just buy a Samsung S6 or newer and be happy. S4/5 is possible but already pretty much at the border of "too old". The S4 is my minimum test device, the S6 is the maximum power & software level required. The S6 has a screen resolution that allows VR FPV at full resolution (that is 1280x720 per eye).

The Samsung galaxy line isn't super cheap, but has tremendous community support with many custom ROMs to choose from. Even years after the manufacturer stopped updating you can still enjoy the latest & greatest software (with a little effort, but once you understand the process it only takes a few minutes).

Reactions: itscool
The spec you need for TelloFpv is: Android 5 (or 6 to be on the safe side), a good screen and at least 1.5-2GB RAM for smooth operation. TelloFpv works on 1GB, but could be choppy. The optional vGPS functionality requires compass, GPS, and camera.

Just buy a Samsung S6 or newer and be happy. S4/5 is possible but already pretty much at the border of "too old". The S4 is my minimum test device, the S6 is the maximum power & software level required. The S6 has a screen resolution that allows VR FPV at full resolution (that is 1280x720 per eye).

The Samsung galaxy line isn't super cheap, but has tremendous community support with many custom ROMs to choose from. Even years after the manufacturer stopped updating you can still enjoy the latest & greatest software (with a little effort, but once you understand the process it only takes a few minutes).
Thanks - great info!

That’s what I did. I’ll never fly my Tello with my iOS devices again! I love TelloFPV - a big thank you to Volate!lo and all of the testers who help make this the best Android app for flying my Tello.

What model/version of Android phone did you purchase? Do you need to have an account with a carrier for this to work with the Tello?

Thanks...

What model/version of Android phone did you purchase? Do you need to have an account with a carrier for this to work with the Tello?

Thanks...

Most android phones from the last 5 years are fine.

You just need a google play account, and a few quid. A SIM card is not required.

Thanks...
I bought a Galaxy S5 last year to run Tellofpv, it came with Android 6.01 and works just fine except for VR - the screen resolution is too coarse and you can see the pixels when used with VR goggles.

I skipped the S6 because it doesn't have a slot for an SD card. Just bought an S7 last week, got here Friday, love it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv