Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello payload delivery

Canon414

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently using a Tello Edu drone for a project. My initial idea was to have the drone autonomously fly up and hover in the air and immediately starts looking for an object I trained it to look for. When its found the drone will fly towards it and align itself on top of it and slowly hover down on it. With a magnetic tether I installed, when close enough the payload will clip onto the tether via the magnet and the drone can fly up and look for the landing zone.

However, I just realised that the drone's camera does not point downwards, thus I can't really detect something stationary on the ground. So I looked into the mission pads and was wondering is it possible to have the payload sit on top of a mission pad and have the drone detect the mission pad using the IR blaster and have it descend onto the pad and pulling the payload up? Mimicking the process mentioned above?

Any feedback is helpful, so please do give me your opinions.

Thankyou!

P.S the magnetic tether and payload were made out of lego, string and magnets as seen in the attached photo.

Attachments

• 186178313_500772297736275_1897976798337642289_n.jpg
    186178313_500772297736275_1897976798337642289_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 28
Hello,

I am currently using a Tello Edu drone for a project. My initial idea was to have the drone autonomously fly up and hover in the air and immediately starts looking for an object I trained it to look for. When its found the drone will fly towards it and align itself on top of it and slowly hover down on it. With a magnetic tether I installed, when close enough the payload will clip onto the tether via the magnet and the drone can fly up and look for the landing zone.

However, I just realised that the drone's camera does not point downwards, thus I can't really detect something stationary on the ground. So I looked into the mission pads and was wondering is it possible to have the payload sit on top of a mission pad and have the drone detect the mission pad using the IR blaster and have it descend onto the pad and pulling the payload up? Mimicking the process mentioned above?

Thankyou!

P.S the magnetic tether and payload were made out of lego, string and magnets as seen in the attached photo.
may be you can use one mirror in such mode that one it points toward ground also.You will have 2 images and you program will select which half to analyse and decide.First grab the horizon line then the down line vision

Hello,

Thankyou!

Sounds like a wonderful project. I have another idea. Your optical view on the bottom side of the tello is in fact a camera. If you figure this out please let me know how you did it but you can see through that bottom camera somehow. There is a way to switch from the front camera to the bottom side optical view camera. I’ve been experimenting with Tello‘s since they came out I’ve had a half dozen. I’ve done a lot of interesting things and if you figure this out please email back and let me know. Good luck and thank you

may be you can use one mirror in such mode that one it points toward ground also.You will have 2 images and you program will select which half to analyse and decide.First grab the horizon line then the down line vision
Hmm, I saw similar ideas I just don't know to attach the mirror as most of the examples i saw had 3D printed attachments.

Sounds like a wonderful project. I have another idea. Your optical view on the bottom side of the tello is in fact a camera. If you figure this out please let me know how you did it but you can see through that bottom camera somehow. There is a way to switch from the front camera to the bottom side optical view camera. I’ve been experimenting with Tello‘s since they came out I’ve had a half dozen. I’ve done a lot of interesting things and if you figure this out please email back and let me know. Good luck and thank you
I think it's not a camer, its an IR blaster like the ones in a TV remote, and it detects the mission pads it comes with, I still need to see how to use them tho.

Hello,

Thankyou!

We are working on similar projects. i.e. precision flying, landing, object recognition, tope load, and bottom load devices. Have not used the mission pads much, but have used ARUCO markers, DJO carpet, and Aruco carpets. So I would thing that yes, the mission ads shoudl work. Some use sensors rather than cameras. Also we, ahve been working with a replacement foe the Tello EDU as the new Tello TT is not being sold here in the USA. We have found the cheap Makerfire LiteBee Wing and Wing FM, superiors to the Tello ( more dependable ). Plus they have a various array of detach able sensors, etc. it is also build in the LEGO block concept. ( therefore can 3D print things for it ) You can find our video on Youtube channel MECATX of it., or contact me at [email protected] . Tomorrow, we will probably be making a new unboxing video of their device close to yours. It is am electromagnetic sensor that uses a magnet to release metal objects. We just got it and and have no experience with it yet. i think you would be happy with this new micro-drone. We buy it from China with fast delivery, 1 wwk , and good customer service. you can buy it also here in the USA, Texas from Onpoynt with 4 week delivery and no service.
Please keep us informed of your progress. Ley up know if we can help, and where are you located.

Here is a link to pad, carpet recognition

and here is a link to the LitebEe Wind FM

We do not sell anything. We just do testing and research.

We did make a video on the upgrade to the Tello EDU by DJI with an extension kit that also does not sell in the USA. We have four of these kits to work with,

I am attaching a sample program in scratch for a magnetic pickup and drop using the LiteBee Wing and the Aruco markers. it should not be to hard to build n electromagnetic attachmnet for the Tello. There are many already in the marketplace using servos, and no some servo. We will probably be making a video today of this device for our Youtube channel. MECATX. aslo attaching an image of a DJI swarm carpet with the regions defined by numbers. We gave up on the Tello using this because of the problems with router communications. Good for one drone but not multiple only. Therea program out there that can utilize these markers and mission pads. Also see a sample of an Aruco markers. you can print these easily.

Attachments

• electronimagnetic page 11Screenshot 2021-05-22 193616.jpg
    electronimagnetic page 11Screenshot 2021-05-22 193616.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 7
  • FLOOR PAD 4 SWARM fprogram rom china.jpg
    FLOOR PAD 4 SWARM fprogram rom china.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 5
  • #39 IMG_20210209_195954_7.jpg
    #39 IMG_20210209_195954_7.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 5
Hmm, I saw similar ideas I just don't know to attach the mirror as most of the examples i saw had 3D printed attachments.
I had the same idea and remembered that I had made a crude mirror from a disc from a hard disc för en earlier toy drone I had. I got it and it had a small hole that I could fit a small screw in. This kind of mirror is very light.

I made a small hole in the front edge of the plastic top of the Tella (while loose). While looking for a suitable small drill for a tiny screw, I decided to try making the small hole with a heated metal wire. You can even heat it in a candle flame. You can adjust the size by heating the wire again and jiggling it in the hole.

I made a small rubber washer and screwed the mirror on. The end with the hole is slightly bent relative to the flat part. Besides being necessary to make it "look" down, the bend also was good because I could swing the mirror away from the camera without getting in the way of the propellers and even lying quite streamlined near the body if fully back.

Though the mirror was crudely cut (tin snips) which makes it not perfectly flat, it is at least Proof of principle. I think I'll try to make another with more care (cutting with a dremel type disc). If I make an elongated hole (in the mirror) for the screw that would make it easier to adjust the position and angle of the mirror. You can even position it so you can have forward/down split, like in the pic below.

(in the pictures the mirror was not yet bent to cover the whole camera view and the rubber washer was trimmed down more later)

PS I actually came looking for if anyone has experience with getting images from the belly camera.

Attachments

• tello spegel.jpg
    tello spegel.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 9
  • tello spegel 2.jpg
    tello spegel 2.jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 8
  • tello spegel  3.jpg
    tello spegel 3.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Mike Shock
I had the same idea and remembered that I had made a crude mirror from a disc from a hard disc för en earlier toy drone I had. I got it and it had a small hole that I could fit a small screw in. This kind of mirror is very light.

I made a small hole in the front edge of the plastic top of the Tella (while loose). While looking for a suitable small drill for a tiny screw, I decided to try making the small hole with a heated metal wire. You can even heat it in a candle flame. You can adjust the size by heating the wire again and jiggling it in the hole.

I made a small rubber washer and screwed the mirror on. The end with the hole is slightly bent relative to the flat part. Besides being necessary to make it "look" down, the bend also was good because I could swing the mirror away from the camera without getting in the way of the propellers and even lying quite streamlined near the body if fully back.

Though the mirror was crudely cut (tin snips) which makes it not perfectly flat, it is at least Proof of principle. I think I'll try to make another with more care (cutting with a dremel type disc). If I make an elongated hole (in the mirror) for the screw that would make it easier to adjust the position and angle of the mirror. You can even position it so you can have forward/down split, like in the pic below.

(in the pictures the mirror was not yet bent to cover the whole camera view and the rubber washer was trimmed down more later)

PS I actually came looking for if anyone has experience with getting images from the belly camera.
not sure if the optical view belly camera has ability. I want to say that I saw someone in this thread accomplish that task and I went and looked and looked and could not find it. There are a few people to reach out to and I can drive. If you have any luck please let me know. I have removed a camera from another toy drone to install on the bottom with another power source, i used a cheap $30 drone. Now…. That camera is obviously not going to read flight pads however, I do have spare Tello parts. If I used another tello Camera it would be connected to the app and hypothetically it would read the landing pads that come with EDU version. That would certainly fulfill your software needs and camera.

As @Hacky discovered - with Tello EDU you may switch the video stream from the forward camera to the downward camera and vice versa during the flight:
command
streamon

# forward camera used by default (1280х720 colour stream)
downvision 1
# switched to downward camera (320x240 gray-scale stream)
downvision 0
# switched back to forward camera

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv