Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello practice or simulation app?

NDC

Reaction score
As a brand new pilot with a brand new Tello I was wondering how to teach myself to fly (control co-ordination, etc) without using the Tello.
If I could fly around virtually using the Tello app, but without actually flying I'd be ecstatic! Also, the rest of the house wouldn't have to buy earplugs, and the cat would remain sane.
A tello app sim?
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

No Tello simulators to my knowledge, but there are plenty of drone simulators in the app/play store

Sadly, I haven't tried any. I usually use DJI's simulator, but in order to get that experience, you need a DJI controller.

Reactions: NDC
Thanks. I'm going to try Sky Viper as the controls look similar.

Tello isn't hard to fly. It behaves much like one of the larger drones, pretty similar to a Bebop for example. Toy drones are much harder to fly. If you take it slow you won't crash that often, plus Tello is robust and doesn't break easily. Crashed mine a hundred times maybe (while developing an app).
The only thing I hate is that in slow mode it keeps its momentum for quite a while after you put the sticks in neutral. But one gets used to it.

Reactions: Szabi and NDC
Tello isn't hard to fly. It behaves much like one of the larger drones, pretty similar to a Bebop for example. Toy drones are much harder to fly. If you take it slow you won't crash that often, plus Tello is robust and doesn't break easily. Crashed mine a hundred times maybe (while developing an app).
The only thing I hate is that in slow mode it keeps its momentum for quite a while after you put the sticks in neutral. But one gets used to it.

Thanks, I haven't tried the fast mode yet.
It's easy to fly, but super HARD to fly well. I'm using the app, but is it better to get a physical controller - and if so any idea what?

If you want to use the standard App your only option is Gamesir T1d. Thats the only controller supported by Ryze Tello app. The T1d is a non-standard controller so you can't use it for much beside Tello. I find the T1d a bit expensive for what it does. Accuracy is OK in terms of gamepads but not great.
T1d is also supported by aTelloPilot and TelloFPV.

If you are open to other apps:
aTelloPilot and TelloFPV both support the Parrot Flypad.
Parrot Flypad has much (!) better accuracy and allows much greater precision with the real sticks. Recently you could buy the Parrot Swing drone combo on sale for ~20 Euro and sell the drone on ebay for ~20 Euro giving you an almost free controller.

aTelloPilot, TelloFpv, and atello all support many/most wired USB controllers using an OTG adapter.
All three apps have threads here in the development section.

aTello is a rough unfinished and orphaned concept. aTelloPilot is mature. TelloFpv is just in Beta and will be released the next few days (see my signature)

aTello and Ryze Tello are free, aTelloPilot and telloFPV are paid apps.

Someone here already made a compatibility spreadsheet tracking all kinds of configurations but I don't have the link at hand. It was mentioned a few times somewhere around pg 8-10 of the TelloFPV thread.

Reactions: NDC
WOW! A stop button! Fantastic. Seriously, it's just what I need. Also, I'm going to run your app. It looks - from a swift skim of the manual - excellent.
One typo on page 9 of 'manual 0.8.pdf' 'Tune controlls 3' should be 'Tune Controls 3.' But then you knew that. ;)
Thanks a lot for the info on controllers, too.

I kind of thought the Tello was the practice bird.
She is a practice bird - but doesn't like you telling her this. However, a good accurate sim would be a real boon - all those trees and shrubs saved from ugly collisions, and think of all the happy non-mangled props! :D

Yeah, that's all very well, but some trees are tall - in fact most trees around here are tall, and it's a royal pain retrieving her above ten metres...

If you want to use the standard App your only option is Gamesir T1d. Thats the only controller supported by Ryze Tello app. The T1d is a non-standard controller so you can't use it for much beside Tello. I find the T1d a bit expensive for what it does. Accuracy is OK in terms of gamepads but not great.
T1d is also supported by aTelloPilot and TelloFPV.

If you are open to other apps:
aTelloPilot and TelloFPV both support the Parrot Flypad.
Parrot Flypad has much (!) better accuracy and allows much greater precision with the real sticks. Recently you could buy the Parrot Swing drone combo on sale for ~20 Euro and sell the drone on ebay for ~20 Euro giving you an almost free controller.

aTelloPilot, TelloFpv, and atello all support many/most wired USB controllers using an OTG adapter.
All three apps have threads here in the development section.

aTello is a rough unfinished and orphaned concept. aTelloPilot is mature. TelloFpv is just in Beta and will be released the next few days (see my signature)

aTello and Ryze Tello are free, aTelloPilot and telloFPV are paid apps.

Someone here already made a compatibility spreadsheet tracking all kinds of configurations but I don't have the link at hand. It was mentioned a few times somewhere around pg 8-10 of the TelloFPV thread.
Actually you can use any Bluetooth controller like a PS4 controller like I use. The app automatically calibrates to the controller and you can use the controller like a DJI controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv