Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello reaching 728 meters flying TelloFPV app

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi,

I did it again ;) 728 meters distance flying little Tello.

I use an stock, unmodified Ryze Tello drone, a Gamesir T1 USB OTG wired controller and a Xiaomi Range extender modded by adding external antennas and WIFI reflectors as I explain here: Xiaomi WIFI repeater external antennas mod

I found a lonely place, far away from electromagnetic interference. Unfortunatelly weather was not good, high winds made things difficult.

Enjoy full video unedited, only some intro images so that it is not so boring:

More pics here:

729 mapa  medida.jpg tello 728 meters.jpg IMG_7208.JPG IMG_7218.JPG
final frame.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on such achievement! Thats unbelievable for somebody who is flying only about 20 meters from home position.

I have one question. Is there any benefit in using Windsurfer with omnidirectional antenna? I would imagine directional patch would be better, because it is more focused from start and is not losing any signal with bouncing on the Windsurfer.
1548939036843.png
I am just curious. Thanks for answers.

Reactions: Stele
Great distance!
Next way to go is using high gain patch antennas like @stewe12 suggest and I'm sure you'll hit the 1km Mark.
After that go get some 5w boosters ?... please don't (unless it'slegal in your country)

Unfortunately I can't test my setup atm because of weather....?

Thanks for your advices. I'll try to get 2.4 patch antennas. A good thing about WIFI reflectors is that they are cheap and easy to build ;)

About boosters, I tried Tello and boosters a couple of times with bad results. See:

1 wat.jpg

When usign this 2.4Ghz booster I notice Tello receives an strong signal (high db on TelloFPV status bar) but video quality poor due interference. At the end, less range and worst performance.

raul.

Reactions: DinoBaldi and Stele
When you are in to easy and cheap antenna mods you should look into yagi antennas.
You can even hack them onto you rubber ducks: Die 0-Euro-Antenne
Sorry found it only in German....

Interesting that the booster does more harm than good. Have you tried taking the windsurfer of the boosted antenna?

Reactions: stewe12
When you are in to easy and cheap antenna mods you should look into yagi antennas.
You can even hack them onto you rubber ducks: Die 0-Euro-Antenne
Sorry found it only in German....

Interesting that the booster does more harm than good. Have you tried taking the windsurfer of the boosted antenna?

I'll try as soon as possible. There are a lot of combinations to test :confused:

Reactions: stewe12 and Stele
Congrats on the new record! Btw, video just after take off was such jello already. What gives?

Hi,

I did it again ;) 728 meters distance flying little Tello.

I use an stock, unmodified Ryze Tello drone, a Gamesir T1 USB OTG wired controller and a Xiaomi Range extender modded by adding external antennas and WIFI reflectors as I explain here: Xiaomi WIFI repeater external antennas mod

I found a lonely place, far away from electromagnetic interference. Unfortunatelly weather was not good, high winds made things difficult.

Enjoy full video unedited, only some intro images so that it is not so boring:

More pics here:

View attachment 2980 View attachment 2981 View attachment 2982 View attachment 2985
View attachment 2984
Gratulation :) The drone company should hire you. With better light and colors on the videos this would be a real Winner. Quess thats is just a cost question from Ryze.

Gratulation :) The drone company should hire you. With better light and colors on the videos this would be a real Winner. Quess thats is just a cost question from Ryze.
cost is not the issue here. Dji fully funded ryze and they won’t allow tello to be too strong so it bites sales off spark.

cost is not the issue here. Dji fully funded ryze and they won’t allow tello to be too strong so it bites sales off spark.

Yes. I agree. So I guess in near future Dji will have a new "tello" with a real camera but with a much higher price. We need a really small travel drone because of regulations all over the world. The camera is the issue for most people.

Reactions: dronecrone
Raul, looks like you have to stretch your goal to 2km.

The 1km mark has been cracked:

Its already an old video, but I haven't found it before. Maybe its old news to you...

Raul, your goal is 1,002 meters! If you can't do it, Xcrost can't. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: xcrost
Raul, looks like you have to stretch your goal to 2km.

The 1km mark has been cracked:

Its already an old video, but I haven't found it before. Maybe its old news to you...

@volate!lo

I'm sorry this mark wasn't achieved using your TelloFPV. It seems BlueJune's aTelloPilot is hard to win. :(

I didn't know anything about it. It's the first time I see this video.

Above all I congratulate Pilot Claudio Schulann for his mark. What he has achieved is incredible. I thought it was impossible to achieve something like that. It's hard to believe. ;)

In fact, there are some intriguing details in his flight that I invite him to clarify:

First, I noticed he is very brave leaving only 43% of battery for returning a whole kilometer. As you know, Tello automatically stops about 10%. It lets him 43%-10% = 33% battery for returning trip. It seems that he is not very worried about the return trip, isn't it ? Maybe he did not have to go back ? Where did he landed ? :unsure:

1000 mt low battery.jpg

I'm shocked one kilometer away he is still getting 3 signal bars (max is four signal bars). That's about 70db. Maybe wifi repeater he is using is extremely good ? Maybe distance between pilot an drone is not so big ? I'll give a try that wifi repeater for sure.

1000 mt 70 db at 1000.jpg

Image quality is surprisingly good throughout entire flight, even at final turn. No glitches, no dropped frames, but... where is the final part of the flight and landing ? Why did he cut it ? :unsure:

And finally, I discovered at the very end of recording a human figure in the middle airstrip, close the drone. Who is he and what is he doing ? Of course, I hope he is not the pilot walking after the drone.

1000 mt walking pilot.jpg

Again my congratulations. I hope this excellent pilot comments his experiences here and clarifies these dark points.

All the best.

Raul
---

Last edited:
Reactions: U96 and Guorium

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv