Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello vs. Spark

Yes, that would be the procedure to fly with 336. As for registering, you are not required as it doesn’t meet the minimum .55 lbs requirement.

I understand is almost impossible to enforce this and it would be annoying to have to call all of those heliports to fly a Tello, but if you are flying and get approached by law enforcement, the “I didn’t know” will not protect you.
Its called integrity. To do the right thing even when no one is looking.

Reactions: JBTello and Ansia
@Mrmund to give some background, I managed to rebuild a yuneec breeze 4k to be under the .55lb weight limit, I then contacted the FAA for clarification after it had been previously registered as a over .55lb "aircraft". I was informed via email with a reply that the then considered "toy" drone is still required to follow airspace regulations.

After that email response from the FAA I was determined to find and exploit the gray areas and open holes in the regulations to justify my need to fly in certain locations. The result was just gray area because of the lawyer talk written into the regulations that could be understood in many different ways, but they covered all thier bases in not having open ended regulations.

There is even a section that pertains to a balloon with afixed to a ground station and controls equipped on said balloon to control it's airspace position. They even went so far as to restrict where you can fly a tethered quadcopter or drone.

The end result and how this pertains to us Tello pilots and users, and or potential buyers, is that unless your sole use is indoor flight, which is technically any dwelling with a roof over it, (take that as you want to understand it) there are regulations that we must abide by if you are under FAA airspace.

Can I fly the Tello under part 107 and avoid those annoying calls? :ROFLMAO:
Actually since the release of the LAANC system and the use of one of the approved apps you don't have to call anymore like airmap all you have to do is create a flight plan and follow it to the T!

I'm not part 107 certified. Won't comment on that but If I was a betting man, you still have to notify the LAANC program or call to notify before flying.

Actually since the release of the LAANC system and the use of one of the approved apps you don't have to call anymore like airmap all you have to do is create a flight plan and follow it to the T!
Unless you are next to the airport, it will only show as coming soon.
Screenshot_20181210-084653_AirMap.jpg

In my case, I'm extremely close/occasionally under the flight path for BWI, and just barely inside the 5 mile perimeter. Thus, I filed for the registration with FAA. The (very helpful!) FAA fellow tried to talk me out of it and almost had me convinced until we couldn't find a contact number to notify the tower when I fly.

He happily registered me so I can fly whenever I want within part 107 regs (e.g. - daytime, not over people, etc), within 0.1 NM of my house, without calling BWI. He even extended the registration to a full year. The Tello range doesn't exceed my permit, so I'm good to go.

It was a painless process to know I'm avoiding the dark suit men in the black Lincoln from coming to my house...

In my case, I'm extremely close/occasionally under the flight path for BWI, and just barely inside the 5 mile perimeter. Thus, I filed for the registration with FAA. The (very helpful!) FAA fellow tried to talk me out of it and almost had me convinced until we couldn't find a contact number to notify the tower when I fly.

He happily registered me so I can fly whenever I want within part 107 regs (e.g. - daytime, not over people, etc), within 0.1 NM of my house, without calling BWI. He even extended the registration to a full year. The Tello range doesn't exceed my permit, so I'm good to go.

It was a painless process to know I'm avoiding the dark suit men in the black Lincoln from coming to my house...
The men in black drive Suburbans and Yukons where I live. Guess their budget is shorter here. So the FAA guy registered your Tello or gave you a waiver to fly within the 5 miles?

So the FAA guy registered your Tello or gave you a waiver to fly within the 5 miles?

I got the waiver to fly within five miles. I already registered with FAA and have my registration number on the drone with a small label.

Reactions: Ansia
I got the waiver to fly within five miles. I already registered with FAA and have my registration number on the drone with a small label.
Interesting. Wonder why the FAA person made you register the Tello, when it is not required to do so. The waiver I understand. Did he register you for 336?

wasn't this a Tello vs Spark chat?
It is, indeed. I bought the Tello to develop some basic drone skills before making a serious purchase.

From the comments here, it seems that the Spark is a reasonable next step up, with increased distance and power.

My main concern is being able to successfully navigate by using the drone video feed and location telemetry returned from the drone. I'm in a suburban "valley", so any departures from the house would entail flying up and over the road of townhomes, unless I go to a larger area for take-off.

Is the Spark reliable to return on autopilot, or is that up to the skills of the pilot?

RTH is definetly a handy safety feature, but you shouldn’t rely on it. You should always take off and land on your own. It will improve in your piloting skills and not depend on things that may fail and leave you droneless.

Reactions: JBTello and Mrmund
Now you've got me wondering:

If the Tello is your only drone and you aren't registered with the FAA... Are you really flying under Section 336?!?

Pretty sure FAA only recognizes Part 107 and Section 336 in any of their regulations. Perhaps that makes drones below 0.55lb a non-entity since they don't qualify in either category?

Any thoughts?

From the FAA website:
Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.
Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

Register their UAS with the FAA

Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only

Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines

Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight

Give way to manned aircraft

Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport

Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"

Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate

Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107

So, it appears that FAA registration is necessary. However, it's also possible that we are all getting wrapped up in semantics and talking past each other.

In my case, I have a Part 107 Airspace Authorization that allows me to fly without contacting the BWI ATC Tower and that is what I was talking about in my previous post. I also have a UAS registration number that I put on my drone(s) which is what I refer to when mentioning "registering the drone". That's the $5 fee that another forum user referred to previously.

They are both straight forward processes. The UAS registration is almost immediate and the 107 Airspace Authorization took a month for me. YMMV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode