Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello vs. Spark

How much better/ stronger is the Spark.
Can it handle wind better?
Fly a lot further?
There is actually no comparison between the two, the Tello when working properly is a terrific little toy for indoors and some limited outdoor fun, the visual stabilization works fairly well however not recording to an sd card still makes your footage choppy and unreliable especially at any distance, the price is very cheap for the technology provided, but with that in mind the technology is written and composed on very cheap components, that are disposable, not fixable, if you get the dreaded 203 error code and for some reason it won’t leave which happens alot your drone is a brick, never to be fixed at a price that would make sense for a 100$ drone,
The Spark on the other hand which is more money boasts way more reliable technology and is repairable, Dji will offer you Dji care a full service warranty which includes replacement and there are multiple centres around the world.
The Spark is a bit larger, has brushless motors, GPS, multiple flight modes and is able to handle a reasonable amount of wind using a 2 axis camera gimbal, which works leaps and bounds better than just image stabilization.
You have way more range and if you just want to fly inside, it is small enough to do that.
Many might not agree with these points, but everyone has their own opinion. I am merely stating the facts that I personally know as I own multiple drones from toy grade to a few Dji drones,
I fell into the Tello hype and bought one because I wanted a very small indoor flyer that was stable, and I must say, when it works it is a very stable and responsive toy,
I have had bad luck maybe, but out of the box 2 of these have not worked properly, one would not take off and the other after 4 flights gave me a 203 error code, I know what it means, no need to reiterate the obvious, thanks. Which made no sense as I was using an OEM battery.
Customer service is very kind but useless, they cannot access flight logs and parameters to actually help find out what is going on with your drone, The DJI Spark through its app has this ability, you can send the techs the info they need.
If I had the choice again to originally purchase the Tello, I would not, not at this time as it is still generation 1.I would wait until many bugs are worked out.
I’m sure many flyers are enjoying their Tello right now, but I can almost with certainty say that it will not last,they will have an issue that is not fixable and own a little brick with multiple proprietary batteries and other accessories.
In conclusion if you want something that might possibly have all the features in a drone that you will more than likely want in the future as your experience and talent progress then definitely look into the Spark.
If you purchase the tello with multiple batteries a case, range extender and other accessories you will find that you have spent just about as much on that stuff as you would on a Spark.
Remember Ryze is not DJI, they just have a very little bit of their technology incorporated in the Ryze Tello

If the OP is just starting out, then I would say the Tello is the better choice. While the Spark a much better drone and has way more features, it also costs 4X more than the Tello. When I was starting out, I wasn't sure if flying a drone was for me so I bought a cheap toy drone to try out. It did not have Visual Positioning and had a crappy camera. At the time, it cost more than the Tello is now, but it got me interested in drones. Right now the Tello can be had with Christmas pricing, for US$79 which is a great deal considering the technology packed into the thing.

With that in mind the Spark is an amazing drone and if you are a beginner, the Refresh package is a no brainer. The Spark's camera is way more capable than the Tello. It really boils down to 3 things: 1) what do you want the drone for, 2) how much are you willing to spend, and 3) how much experience do you have flying drones.

Here's a shot taken a few days ago with my Spark.

Chris
View attachment TinyPlanet Panorama 7 Hendrie Tract-Edit-2.jpg

All great points. Tello is my first drone and now own two (second barely used dirt cheap on ebay couldn't resist). Yes I have four batteries, charging hub, extender, case, controller, and other accessories but i'm still a lot less then a Spark with the fly more combo here in Canada, which is the only way I would go to start.
IMO, no better drone on the market for anyone thinking about flying for the first time. I have learned so much about drones and because of the Tello i'm now hooked all thanks to it. I'll be honest I was intimidated by the price of getting into drones for the first time, mainly because I had no idea how to fly and didn't want to just piss hundreds of dollars away in a crash after my first take-off. The Tello seemed like a safer way to go to start. So glad I did too, whatever little DJI parts in it i'm convinced enough to upgrade to a higher priced model in there lineup, job well done Ryze/DJI. And I know there are other very capable drones out there from other brands, but i'm sticking with DJI and even Ryze before anyone else.
First impressions are crucial whether they are good or bad and thankfully for me mine with the Tello has been great!
Spark or Mavic Air next for me and definitely a Tello 2.0 when it comes out.

There is actually no comparison between the two, the Tello when working properly is a terrific little toy for indoors and some limited outdoor fun, the visual stabilization works fairly well however not recording to an sd card still makes your footage choppy and unreliable especially at any distance, the price is very cheap for the technology provided, but with that in mind the technology is written and composed on very cheap components, that are disposable, not fixable, if you get the dreaded 203 error code and for some reason it won’t leave which happens alot your drone is a brick, never to be fixed at a price that would make sense for a 100$ drone,
The Spark on the other hand which is more money boasts way more reliable technology and is repairable, Dji will offer you Dji care a full service warranty which includes replacement and there are multiple centres around the world.
The Spark is a bit larger, has brushless motors, GPS, multiple flight modes and is able to handle a reasonable amount of wind using a 2 axis camera gimbal, which works leaps and bounds better than just image stabilization.
You have way more range and if you just want to fly inside, it is small enough to do that.
Many might not agree with these points, but everyone has their own opinion. I am merely stating the facts that I personally know as I own multiple drones from toy grade to a few Dji drones,
I fell into the Tello hype and bought one because I wanted a very small indoor flyer that was stable, and I must say, when it works it is a very stable and responsive toy,
I have had bad luck maybe, but out of the box 2 of these have not worked properly, one would not take off and the other after 4 flights gave me a 203 error code, I know what it means, no need to reiterate the obvious, thanks. Which made no sense as I was using an OEM battery.
Customer service is very kind but useless, they cannot access flight logs and parameters to actually help find out what is going on with your drone, The DJI Spark through its app has this ability, you can send the techs the info they need.
If I had the choice again to originally purchase the Tello, I would not, not at this time as it is still generation 1.I would wait until many bugs are worked out.
I’m sure many flyers are enjoying their Tello right now, but I can almost with certainty say that it will not last,they will have an issue that is not fixable and own a little brick with multiple proprietary batteries and other accessories.
In conclusion if you want something that might possibly have all the features in a drone that you will more than likely want in the future as your experience and talent progress then definitely look into the Spark.
If you purchase the tello with multiple batteries a case, range extender and other accessories you will find that you have spent just about as much on that stuff as you would on a Spark.
Remember Ryze is not DJI, they just have a very little bit of their technology incorporated in the Ryze Tello
Right now GearBest has the DJI Spark on for 439$. Until the end of the month, That’s Canadian dollars

Attachments

• BD012466-6BDC-4DC8-B1B6-57BE5E86365B.png
    BD012466-6BDC-4DC8-B1B6-57BE5E86365B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: malta1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clubfooted