Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

The Bluetooth controller GameSir T1d & Ryze Tello

Alex&Ko

Reaction score
Dear friends!
I present to you a video about my first flight on Ryze Tello using the GameSir T1d controller.
The Bluetooth controller GameSir T1d is recommended by the drone manufacturer. However, it turned out that there are very few problems with the management and quality of the recording when using the iPhone.
And in the case of smartphones on Android, the situation is exactly the opposite - the number of recommended smartphones is extremely small and they are not top models. Identified 2 types of problems:
1) Not all android devices "see" the controller!
2) The internet has a lot of complaints about the quality of video recording on Android smartphones when using GameSir T1d and, accordingly, comfortable FPV management is impossible (the “picture” is jerking very strongly). It's all about the bluetooth connection, there are conflicts (or loss of smartphone performance) in the bluetooth and WiFi wireless channels while managing the drone.
So this video illustrates the type 2 problem (video recording quality) and FPV control.

Dear friends!
I present to you a video about my first flight on Ryze Tello using the GameSir T1d controller.
The Bluetooth controller GameSir T1d is recommended by the drone manufacturer. However, it turned out that there are very few problems with the management and quality of the recording when using the iPhone.
And in the case of smartphones on Android, the situation is exactly the opposite - the number of recommended smartphones is extremely small and they are not top models. Identified 2 types of problems:
2) The internet has a lot of complaints about the quality of video recording on Android smartphones when using GameSir T1d and, accordingly, comfortable FPV management is impossible (the “picture” is jerking very strongly). It's all about the bluetooth connection, there are conflicts (or loss of smartphone performance) in the bluetooth and WiFi wireless channels while managing the drone.
So this video illustrates the type 2 problem (video recording quality) and FPV control.

Yes, these are common issues. A Wifi extender will help and/or solve many of these issues.

Dear friends!

As you already noted: Well known and documented issues.

It not a matter of phone pformance but a matter of BT interfering with Wifi. A simple wifi extender is your only solution.

Reactions: xcrost
isn't he already using a Wifi extender, as shown at 0:36s? or am I seeing it incorrectly.

You rights!! I'am using WiFi extender but but he didn't help me.

I tested different Android smartphones and tablets. The result is clear - the quality of the recording depends on the performance of the processor!
Test:
1) Huawei Honor 5X Qualcomm MSM8939v2 Snapdragon 616 (1.5 GHz)
2) Coolpad Cool1 Dual Snapdragon 652 (1.8 GHz)
3) Alldocube talk9x u65gt 3g tablet MTK8392 (1.66 GHz)

With WiFi extender
1) Huawei Honor 5X skip frames (Without WiFi extender - very many skip frames)
2) Coolpad Cool1 Dual no skip frames
2) Alldocube talk9x u65gt 3g tablet no skip frames

Reactions: WhatUserName
You rights!! I'am using WiFi extender but but he didn't help me.

I tested different Android smartphones and tablets. The result is clear - the quality of the recording depends on the performance of the processor!
Test:
1) Huawei Honor 5X Qualcomm MSM8939v2 Snapdragon 616 (1.5 GHz)
2) Coolpad Cool1 Dual Snapdragon 652 (1.8 GHz)
3) Alldocube talk9x u65gt 3g tablet MTK8392 (1.66 GHz)

With WiFi extender
1) Huawei Honor 5X skip frames (Without WiFi extender - very many skip frames)
2) Coolpad Cool1 Dual no skip frames
2) Alldocube talk9x u65gt 3g tablet no skip frames

Your test prove that its either the processor performance
or the gpu
or the antenna
or the codec
or the bt chip
or the interrupt handling
or...

Your test prove that its either the processor performance
or the gpu
or the antenna
or the codec
or the bt chip
or the interrupt handling
or...

CPU&GPU - it's a single silicon crystal.
No antenna - use wifi extender and not problem (i'am testing)
no codec - Android 6.0 (Honor 5x and Cool1)
or the bt chip (the same controller inside the silicon)
interrupt handling - I don't know.)

Like my last test. Xiaomi Mi A2. The preinstalled version of Android 8.0 determined GameSir T1d. After updating to Android 9.0 GameSir ceased will be defined in the Tello's application

Your your conclusion is premature as your tests are not unambiguous. Each of these devices uses a different CPU, GPU, RAM, internal wifi & BT antenna setup, BT chipset, HW/SW codec, android build (even if the run the same main version each manufacturer customizes Android heavily).

You randomly pick one aspect (CPU frequency) and think you have figured it out. You obviously don't know enough about Android internals, chipsets, video encoding, codecs, hardware acceleration, BT, antenna layouts, interrupts, etc to draw any conclusions.

Last edited:
Your your conclusion is premature as your tests are not unambiguous. Each of these devices uses a different CPU, GPU, RAM, internal wifi & BT antenna setup, BT chipset, HW/SW codec, android build (even if the run the same main version each manufacturer customizes Android heavily).

You randomly pick one aspect (CPU frequency) and think you have figured it out. You obviously don't know enough about Android internals, chipsets, video encoding, codecs, hardware acceleration, BT, antenna layouts, interrupts, etc to draw any conclusions.

I don't make conclusions! I demonstrated in the video how the Tello application can work when connecting GameSir. In this video I couldn't present all my tests.
I am waiting for new types of smartphones for tests, which I will conduct in spring or summer.
For example, the processor frequency was specified as a demonstration of the differences between 2 types of processors from Qualcomm. These processors also differ in the performance of the GPU.
Ryze Robotics, unfortunately, many do not notify the owners of the drones. The application is not optimized for Android smartphones as iPhone.

You have presented conclusions;
That is a conclusion and a false one.

All your video demonstrates is that you created one video with more frame drops and one video with fewer frame drops. It does not provide _any_ reason to conclude it's linked to the processor speed.

I agree that it’s not conclusive. However, I’ve noticed I substantial difference between my newer iPhone & an older Samsung (Android) & notice that the iPhone performs much better. Why? Processor, memory, WiFi modem?
I’m going to test both through a mi range extender & see if that has any effect.

I agree that it’s not conclusive. However, I’ve noticed I substantial difference between my newer iPhone & an older Samsung (Android) & notice that the iPhone performs much better. Why? Processor, memory, WiFi modem?
I’m going to test both through a mi range extender & see if that has any effect.
I haven't tested the Iphone but the YT videos suggest that it can record pretty decent video even with T1d in use.

My guess is it has to do with the BT & Wifi chips and antennas. Maybe Iphone uses dedicated chips for handling BT and wifi so interference is less? Maybe better antenna sielding?

I can clearly see data packages being dropped on Android when BT interferes so it most likely has nothing todo with the processor, memory, gpu, software.

The result is clear - the quality of the recording depends on the performance of the processor!

I have to respectfully disagree.

My ancient phone will not run TelloFPV or aTelloPilot, due to it using Android 4.4.2. It will run the Ryze Tello app, but video is scrambled. So until I get a newer phone, or a newer ROM for this one, to fly my Tello I use two tablets:

Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 -- Kirin 950 octa-core processor, 4gb RAM

Amazon Fire 7 -- introduced ~5 years ago, specs unknown but not very good I'm sure. I do know it has only 1gb RAM and uses a hacked-to-death Fork of Android 5.x

When being used with any BT game controller and without the Mi wifi extender, the M3 has much video interference.

With the Fire tablet and a Sony PS4 wireless controller via BT, the video is much more smooth... almost acceptable - until you pan quickly. With the Fire tablet and Gamesir T1s controller - bad video.

With the Mi wifi extender, placed ~2-3 meters away, both perform well.

I'm not a fan of iOS. I've used several Android phones both with and without the extender. I've had no issues at all. I often use the phone only, too, for a quick launch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv