Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

the 'lil tello racer..

Wow, pretty decent racer you got. Only thing we need to solve now is the lag or how to connect proper RC TX...

@stewe12, yeah that would be nice, especially the lag. Can be bit of a motor killer when you pull up too late and hit the wall in fast mode, no prop guards and no luck! I feel like the lag is less without the prop guards but I'm sure that's a placebo, haha.

@xcrost, I'm still testing the differences. I reakon without a wifi repeater the antenna mod does improve range but alas more testing is needed to be sure. The motors might be a little fast once you change out all four stock motors for the racerstar ones. Although I'm not 100% sure as a single racerstar motor works well with the other stock 3 motors as well. This to me says they are of similar specs, unless the tello is compensating for it and running that single motor at a different speed to the others when hovering.

I got some cheap scales and it clocks in at 75g. Dunno how accurate the scales are though. The stock tello (with prop guards) comes in at 91g.

IMG_4580.JPG

Here's a comparison photo, the modded tello looks faster, lol...

IMG_4578.JPG

cheers,
ph2t.

Haha, I most definitely did! I feel like it’s faster now, haha ?

The antenna mod is a work in progress. Check my pcb reference thread for more info.

Cheers,
ph2t.

The 'lil tello racer has gone through a few changes. :devilish:(y)

cf_conversion.jpg

• Carbon fiber frame conversion
  • 2 x external 8dbi antennas
  • Racerstar 8250 motors
  • OEM midnight blue props
  • FPV camera "angle" mod :LOL:
  • External battery mod

Lots of fun this little thing is. I promised it the next week will be all about the flight time and no "bench work" per 'se.

Here's a small (crappy backyard) video demonstrating the setup. I'm quite happy about the antennas in particular. The video quality is a lot better and I didn't experience any frame dropping which surprised me. The video is screen captured but the last 30 seconds is the video feed from the tello.

Fast mode FPV FTW!

cheers,

ph2t.

Reactions: hambeer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv