Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Using Deauther stick for Tello picking WIFI channel

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi all,

Forcing WIFI channel choice you will improve your Ryze Tello performance. Fly far and safer getting ride of interference. Please watch my video:

Since I discovered this trick I have used it in all of my flights. I noticed a great improvement, over all at urban environment. In some places I have gone from a few tens to hundreds of meters.

Once you get neccesary items I suggest you visiting your favorite flying spots and trying different channels until finding the best one for each place. Trace a map and keep it for future flights. In muy case, best results avoiding main channels number one, six and eleven. Channel number seven use to be a very good choice.

tello wifi chart.jpg

For this trick you will need a Deauther stick. This is a well-know device normally used for hacking WIFI networks. Don't worry, for this mod we will use it legally ;)

Deauther stick implements ESP 8266 WIFI chip. More info here: spacehuhn/esp8266_deauther

You can build your own Deauther stick, but I strongly suggest you buying a ready for use one. I bought mine at Maltronics UK web store: Maltronics - Your one stop hacker hardware shop

deauther wifi.jpg

Deauther stick works autonomously once connected to USB power bank, but it needs to be pre-programed pior to use, pluging in into a desktop PC or smartphone. You will need a Terminal app for command input. Play store Serial Terminal app here: Serial USB Terminal - Apps on Google Play

usb terminal app.jpg

Supose you want forcing Tello at channel seven. Typing command "add ssids x -cl 6" you will prepare 6 fake wifi networks called "x" at channels one to six. After that, typing "attack beacon" fake networks creation starts. At the end, "stop all" quits.

For full automation, I wrote a simple auto-executable script autostart.txt that automatically starts as soon as you plug Deauther Stick into a powerbank, this is the code:

Code:
stopap
set beaconChannel true
attack beacon

You can easily create a single script for each WIFI channel as I show you into video. That way you only has to press a single button instead of typing commands. I will return on this topic in future videos / posts.

As far as I know this is the only way forcing Tello choosing a WIFI channel.

I hear your opinions. Best regards

Raul.

just for the fun: Can you trick your Tello into using the channels 12 and 13?

If that works: Does it also work if you set the Tello region to US and reboot the drone?

These channels should be OK for CE but not for FCC regions. But then it is probably easier for Ryze to just not use themglobally

Reactions: arrow_206
just for the fun: Can you trick your Tello into using the channels 12 and 13?

If that works: Does it also work if you set the Tello region to US and reboot the drone?

These channels should be OK for CE but not for FCC regions. But then it is probably easier for Ryze to just not use themglobally
@volate!lo ,

I've been using Deauther trick for over a year now, although I haven't created this video until today.

I performed the test you ask me at October 2019, as you can read at this old post:

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

Unfortunatelly I discovered Tello only works into 1th to 11th WIFI Channels. I did many attemps but Tello refuses to connect at high channels 12th & 13th

Despite this, results obtained in that range of channels are very good. Since I have it, all my urban flights have been made using Deauther.

Best regards

Raul.

Reactions: volate!lo
Somehow i always missed that you already mentioned the channels.
So we have no noticeable power differences and no difference in channels.

I just wonder why tello app configures the drone for each region...

Hi all,

Forcing WIFI channel choice you will improve your Ryze Tello performance. Fly far and safer getting ride of interference. Please watch my video:

Since I discovered this trick I have used it in all of my flights. I noticed a great improvement, over all at urban environment. In some places I have gone from a few tens to hundreds of meters.

Once you get neccesary items I suggest you visiting your favorite flying spots and trying different channels until finding the best one for each place. Trace a map and keep it for future flights. In muy case, best results avoiding main channels number one, six and eleven. Channel number seven use to be a very good choice.

View attachment 5790

For this trick you will need a Deauther stick. This is a well-know device normally used for hacking WIFI networks. Don't worry, for this mod we will use it legally ;)

Deauther stick implements ESP 8266 WIFI chip. More info here: spacehuhn/esp8266_deauther

You can build your own Deauther stick, but I strongly suggest you buying a ready for use one. I bought mine at Maltronics UK web store: Maltronics - Your one stop hacker hardware shop

View attachment 5789

Deauther stick works autonomously once connected to USB power bank, but it needs to be pre-programed pior to use, pluging in into a desktop PC or smartphone. You will need a Terminal app for command input. Play store Serial Terminal app here: Serial USB Terminal - Apps on Google Play

View attachment 5788

Supose you want forcing Tello at channel seven. Typing command "add ssids x -cl 6" you will prepare 6 fake wifi networks called "x" at channels one to six. After that, typing "attack beacon" fake networks creation starts. At the end, "stop all" quits.

For full automation, I wrote a simple auto-executable script autostart.txt that automatically starts as soon as you plug Deauther Stick into a powerbank, this is the code:

Code:
stopap
set beaconChannel true
attack beacon

You can easily create a single script for each WIFI channel as I show you into video. That way you only has to press a single button instead of typing commands. I will return on this topic in future videos / posts.

As far as I know this is the only way forcing Tello choosing a WIFI channel.

I hear your opinions. Best regards

Raul.

Thanks for sharing Raul,
So you upload your channel choice to the stick, power on the stick, power on Tello, then connect to the repater?

You are almost right ;)

Remember unplug deauther, you dont want lot of fake WIFI networks bothering Tello.

Right secuence is: upload your channel choice to deauther stick, power on the stick, power on Tello, unplug deauther, connect repeater, then connect phone to the repeater.

Reactions: MNNJR69
You are almost right ;)

Remember unplug deauther, you dont want lot of fake WIFI networks bothering Tello.

Right secuence is: upload your channel choice to deauther stick, power on the stick, power on Tello, unplug deauther, connect repeater, then connect phone to the repeater.

Ok thank you Raul for sharing your knowledge!?

Reactions: raulvolador

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv