Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Video feed

Splashy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on what format the video feed is and how we can decode it to show in app?

I took a look at the android version of the app and they are using a version of ffmpeg to decode the video. It shouldn't be hard to figure out the format once we can get the raw data from the camera. I know no way of doing that at present however.

I took a look at the android version of the app and they are using a version of ffmpeg to decode the video. It shouldn't be hard to figure out the format once we can get the raw data from the camera. I know no way of doing that at present however.

Ok, many thanks. Will keep an eye open for a way of getting this feed.

My app, iOS. But useful info for anyone who wants to show video from the Tello in any application.

iOS is not an app...it's an operating system. That said, there is a "Share" icon when viewing the video in the Tello app. Touch that and the video is saved to your iOS device. You can then share again via message, email, etc. It will export in the MP4 format

I am an app developer and my app is for iOS. I have developed an Apple Watch app that controls drones such as Mavic Air, Spark and Pro. I want to develop an app for the Tello and it is for the iPhone (iOS).

Reactions: LPgeoteacher
It is very likely that if someone were to use a packet sniffer on the network traffic between the mobile app and the drone, that they would be able to determine the port and protocol being used for the streaming video...

Last edited:
UPDATE: it will probably require passive packet sniffing as it would appears that the drone WiFi disconnects when more than 1 device tries to connect.

Also, I was unable to use a VPN based packet sniffer on my Android device as the Tello app was unable to connect to the drone when the VPN was running.

Reactions: tel__2
UPDATE: it will probably require passive packet sniffing as it would appears that the drone WiFi disconnects when more than 1 device tries to connect.

Also, I was unable to use a VPN based packet sniffer on my Android device as the Tello app was unable to connect to the drone when the VPN was running.

Good to know ... The app also doesn't seem to work if you enable "use mobile data for WIFIs not providing internet" ...
Having a look at the app might also give some hints ...

I’m also interested in grabbing the raw video feed with my laptop. What are the chances that this could be done?

I am an app developer and my app is for iOS. I have developed an Apple Watch app that controls drones such as Mavic Air, Spark and Pro. I want to develop an app for the Tello and it is for the iPhone (iOS).

It would have been nice if you had been that clear in your first post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv