Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Virtual GPS paid add-on for TelloFPV tutorial and demo

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi friends,

As you must know I am a big fan of TelloFPV from @volate!lo

I'm glad to share with you this tutorial video talking about this fascinating add-on: Virtual GPS (vGPS) for our belowed Tello

Best regards

Tello uses a belly camera for locating itself. TelloFPV flying application can boost your Tello with their virtual GPS paid add-on. That way Tello can use your mobile phone GPS and compass. Tello can't locate it's path over a real world map, even actual course is unknow. By using Virtual GPS after takeoff and moving away a few meters appllication will command you for aiming smartphone camera to center Tello, that way he is recording actual mobile phone GPS coordinates and course. Once virtual GPS initialized you can fly freely, position and course will be saved into your flight log. After landing you can enjoy your flight into GoogleMaps or export KML data for further analysys. Thanks for watching and please press Like and Subscribe buttons.

Importing the flight logs to Google Earth is cool! I purchased the add-on 2 days after I purchased the app. It's a must have!
I tried the three day trial for the vgps but it never seemed to show. Is there a way that its activated. I would try to turn it on from the pull down on the left but. ??
Screenshot_20200121-000659_Tello FPV.jpg

Since I'm still quarantined at home and I don't want to "waste" my free trial while I'm indoors, does someone know what's the price to purchase the vGPS please?

I think vGPS isn't more than just a small fun add-on.
It never turned out precise enough to do what I wanted it to do, like real world map based missions and gps based follow me.
So i never bothered to implement it in iOS as it's just too much effort for what it can do.

@volate!lo, so how precise this virtual GPS ?
Can you give more details on how it works, particularly :
By using Virtual GPS after takeoff and moving away a few meters appllication will command you for aiming smartphone camera to center Tello, that way he is recording actual mobile phone GPS coordinates and course.

Raul showed the process in the video and there is a section in the manual. There is not much I can add to this

Precision depends on many factors.
Relative precision (how exact the flight path is recorded relative to the take off point) mostly on the vps data, whatever confuses vps will cause strange flight patterns in the flight log. Same as with all other vps based functions like RTH

Absolute position (that is the true position of the takeoffpoint on the map, and the direction of the drone) depends on how accurate the phone compass is, if the user is exactly on the home point when doing the calibration, the GPS position of the phone, and again vps.

As said I don't consider this a truly 'useful' function like in 'can be used to track a crashed tello'. It's just a fun thing that is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes accuracy is just perfect and sometimes it's not.

The idea for vGps was to implement a lean followme functionthat could follow the position of the phone's GPS and for that it was a clear fail. It never worked well enough so was never released.
Followme required computer vision instead which was a whole different level in terms of computing power and hardware requirements (which is why it became a separate app tellome)

Raul showed the process in the video and there is a section in the manual. There is not much I can add to this

Precision depends on many factors.
Relative precision (how exact the flight path is recorded relative to the take off point) mostly on the vps data, whatever confuses vps will cause strange flight patterns in the flight log. Same as with all other vps based functions like RTH

Absolute position (that is the true position of the takeoffpoint on the map, and the direction of the drone) depends on how accurate the phone compass is, if the user is exactly on the home point when doing the calibration, the GPS position of the phone, and again vps.

As said I don't consider this a truly 'useful' function like in 'can be used to track a crashed tello'. It's just a fun thing that is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes accuracy is just perfect and sometimes it's not.

The idea for vGps was to implement a lean followme functionthat could follow the position of the phone's GPS and for that it was a clear fail. It never worked well enough so was never released.
Followme required computer vision instead which was a whole different level in terms of computing power and hardware requirements (which is why it became a separate app tellome)

Thank you for your detailed answer. Where I can find the manual ?

I have no clue as playstore handles handles about 100 currencies with thousands of payment methods . I only set the USD price and Google translates this into local currency. Around $2 USD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv