Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Volate!lo makes the Tello almost equal to the Mavic Mini

Ricardo Penders

Reaction score
This app is mind blowing!

When I first saw what the Tello can do with the Volate!lo app I was amazed, in the video below you can hear the excitement in my voice.

This was the first time that I was able to fly 100 meters away from where I took off and I also made a screen recording of my phone so that you can see
all the metrics of the drone which is so much better than the original app... Man, I can't even put it in words or stress enough that the Volate!lo app made this
little drone so much more fun to fly and it gives me much more confidence to try to go to the extreme difficulty for me.

Really this app developer just keeps on giving, sadly I don't have the right phone to make use of the latest feature which is active tracking and follow me called TelloMe
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 which can hardly keep up when I fly the Tello but it's just enough at least to use the TelloFPV app and to my opinion this app makes the
Tello almost as good as the Mavic Mini.
With all the extra features and functionality that the TelloFPV app gives, I think it has pretty much the same auto-pilot features as the Mavic Mini which is pretty cool.

However the RTH function is awesome and I've used that quite a lot together with the vGPS function, it's almost GPS because it's using the phone's GPS to get true North,
that's when you calibrate the compass and take a picture of the drone when it's in the crosshair and this not only gives the Tello the extra functionality during flight,
after that you can go into your flight logs and you'll see instantly which flights you've set true North and when you open that log you can see a little map, when you click
on the map you'll see that some magic is going to happen and open up Google Earth and you can see all the places that you've been flying the Tello saved as what looks
like a rollercoaster but then it shows exactly your flightpath and you can even see the altitude.
I've already saved many flightpaths on Google Earth and I just love this function, how cool is it that you can show exactly all the places that you've been flying the Tello
on Google Earth just like a rollercoaster, this alone just make the Tello so much more worth the money and I'm getting so much more fun out of the Tello I'm amazed that
Volate!lo makes all this possible and more.

These are the things that I personally love the most about the TelloFPV app and the Tello itself and this isn't even half of it, you also have much more control over
all the camera video and photo settings that really improves the video quality, you can completely customize how the Tello behaves during flight, it can record sound
during flight and capture the phone's screen and saves that nicely into a video file, this is really mind blowing to me that all this extra functionality isn't used from
factory, luckily we have Volate!lo and the TelloFPV app

Just watch the video below I think it says enough.

He is truly on King Level and actually to be honest he is the spirit of the tello's he is a tello himself. Some even say he can fly without props.

but the tello would so suck if it wasn't for sir king tellos apps... I mean ****.. Just love it and his apps emergency stop saved my tello many many times. Its just a great app, works well, like proper German (super detailed and methodical ) i have not had the chance to test the Tello me app yet.

also @volate!lo is a true gent, so helpful and willing to assist.

I mean why do you wanna be tello if you can be volatello

He is truly on King Level and actually to be honest he is the spirit of the tello's he is a tello himself. Some even say he can fly without props.

but the tello would so suck if it wasn't for sir king tellos apps... I mean ****.. Just love it and his apps emergency stop saved my tello many many times. Its just a great app, works well, like proper German (super detailed and methodical ) i have not had the chance to test the Tello me app yet.

also @volate!lo is a true gent, so helpful and willing to assist.

I mean why do you wanna be tello if you can be volatello
Lets give him the support he deserves.
please go rate and review the app on playstore and appstore. Again this dude is Tello, tello would be a legitimate toy without his work.

go rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it improve video quality over stardart Tello app?
and also can you setting stick sensitivity using TelloFPV?

I fly using my Samsung M21 phone, on airplane mode (BT off, data off, execpt wifi on ofcourse) and without using WIFI extender

I got decent videos, which i'm already happy, but i think it can be improved. I'm aware using WIFI extender will improve connection and video transmission, but i haven't got my WIFI extender yet.

But, one thing for sure, i'm not really fond of standart Tello app stick sensitivity, kinda to hard to smooth the video motion.
So today i will tried TelloFPV app

I'm not aiming for more range and altitude (yet) i just want to smooth out video motion and quality

Reactions: Ricardo Penders
Does it improve video quality over stardart Tello app?
and also can you setting stick sensitivity using TelloFPV?

I fly using my Samsung M21 phone, on airplane mode (BT off, data off, execpt wifi on ofcourse) and without using WIFI extender

I got decent videos, which i'm already happy, but i think it can be improved. I'm aware using WIFI extender will improve connection and video transmission, but i haven't got my WIFI extender yet.

But, one thing for sure, i'm not really fond of standart Tello app stick sensitivity, kinda to hard to smooth the video motion.
So today i will tried TelloFPV app

I'm not aiming for more range and altitude (yet) i just want to smooth out video motion and quality
Get a extender.. video quality is like chalk and cheese vs without

Video quality has it's limitation but with a decent connection (country side, no interference, and either pretty close flight or wifi extender) you can get quite nice videos given the price.

Cinemode you can make even smoother with "rate limit", which cuts every stick output in half. Intended for external controllers, but if the phone has hardware buttons for volume you can assign that Rate Limit to one of these.
Just for yaw this doesn't look as good as it should because Tello's video image stabilization counters very small yaw changes.

Video quality has it's limitation but with a decent connection (country side, no interference, and either pretty close flight or wifi extender) you can get quite nice videos given the price.

Cinemode you can make even smoother with "rate limit", which cuts every stick output in half. Intended for external controllers, but if the phone has hardware buttons for volume you can assign that Rate Limit to one of these.
Just for yaw this doesn't look as good as it should because Tello's video image stabilization counters very small yaw changes.
Yes, i already did that (mapping Rate Limit to my vol button)..
and i still experimenting with yaw stick expo settings.. i think what i want is smooth yaw,, maybe i'll make yaw more linear (lower expo setting)

one question, do this app has "Return to default setting" button? i case i messed up setting, and want to reset it to default

This app is mind blowing!

When I first saw what the Tello can do with the Volate!lo app I was amazed, in the video below you can hear the excitement in my voice.

This was the first time that I was able to fly 100 meters away from where I took off and I also made a screen recording of my phone so that you can see
all the metrics of the drone which is so much better than the original app... Man, I can't even put it in words or stress enough that the Volate!lo app made this
little drone so much more fun to fly and it gives me much more confidence to try to go to the extreme difficulty for me.

Really this app developer just keeps on giving, sadly I don't have the right phone to make use of the latest feature which is active tracking and follow me called TelloMe
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 which can hardly keep up when I fly the Tello but it's just enough at least to use the TelloFPV app and to my opinion this app makes the
Tello almost as good as the Mavic Mini.
With all the extra features and functionality that the TelloFPV app gives, I think it has pretty much the same auto-pilot features as the Mavic Mini which is pretty cool.

However the RTH function is awesome and I've used that quite a lot together with the vGPS function, it's almost GPS because it's using the phone's GPS to get true North,
that's when you calibrate the compass and take a picture of the drone when it's in the crosshair and this not only gives the Tello the extra functionality during flight,
after that you can go into your flight logs and you'll see instantly which flights you've set true North and when you open that log you can see a little map, when you click
on the map you'll see that some magic is going to happen and open up Google Earth and you can see all the places that you've been flying the Tello saved as what looks
like a rollercoaster but then it shows exactly your flightpath and you can even see the altitude.
I've already saved many flightpaths on Google Earth and I just love this function, how cool is it that you can show exactly all the places that you've been flying the Tello
on Google Earth just like a rollercoaster, this alone just make the Tello so much more worth the money and I'm getting so much more fun out of the Tello I'm amazed that
Volate!lo makes all this possible and more.

These are the things that I personally love the most about the TelloFPV app and the Tello itself and this isn't even half of it, you also have much more control over
all the camera video and photo settings that really improves the video quality, you can completely customize how the Tello behaves during flight, it can record sound
during flight and capture the phone's screen and saves that nicely into a video file, this is really mind blowing to me that all this extra functionality isn't used from
factory, luckily we have Volate!lo and the TelloFPV app

Just watch the video below I think it says enough.

I really like this app as well as Tello Me app, I think they are must have if you own the tello drone, or at least Tello FPV. I'm just wondering if there is the Auto RTH function available when using with vGPS and the signal gets lost? I think it would be great to have that as the option when you fly in the open area and it losses the signal so it could return automatically instead of staying hovering in place and start landing.

Nope, cant make that work
Tello doesn't have this in it's firmware so this is never going to happen without an external control device. With no wifi connection to the drone the app can't do anything at all
That's makes sense. I just thought that there is still a little bit of connection can appear after the signal dropp to 10lb and then the app could send the RTH command to the drone automatically. Thanks for your professional opinion on that one.

That's makes sense. I just thought that there is still a little bit of connection can appear after the signal dropp to 10lb and then the app could send the RTH command to the drone automatically. Thanks for your professional opinion on that one.
RTH is not a single command, it's a constant stream of 50 commands per second, each calculated based on the most recent position and speed information available.

In case of low / lost connection Tello stops & hovers about 1 second after the last comand was received.

So, no this can't work without an external controller that sits on top of Tello and takes control once connection is lost. Of course one could build such an external controller based on some RPi Zero but the RPi would need to act as a relay, limiting the range so one would need to add a wifi repeater as well. Now it's no longer a Tello but some strange Frankenstein drone with 3 minutes flight time.
Bottom line: Not worth it, except for someone who enjoys the excercise more than the result.

RTH is not a single command, it's a constant stream of 50 commands per second, each calculated based on the most recent position and speed information available.

In case of low / lost connection Tello stops & hovers about 1 second after the last comand was received.

So, no this can't work without an external controller that sits on top of Tello and takes control once connection is lost. Of course one could build such an external controller based on some RPi Zero but the RPi would need to act as a relay, limiting the range so one would need to add a wifi repeater as well. Now it's no longer a Tello but some strange Frankenstein drone with 3 minutes flight time.
Bottom line: Not worth it, except for someone who enjoys the excercise more than the result.
That clears it up. Thank you for detailed explanation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv