Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WiFi Repeater advice

The_5treet

Reaction score
Hopefully getting my Xiaomi WiFi repeater next week, any hints or tips on getting the best performance would be appreciated.
Thanks ?

• Purchase a light color (e.g. white) power bank if you don't already have one (as it'll be exposed to the sun)
  • Repeater ideally should be positioned between the controller (you) and the drone
  • Elevate the repeater as high as possible
  • Avoid flying the drone directly above the repeater
  • Install the Mi Home app on a spare device if available
  • Deny all permissions to the Mi Home app after installation (better yet, delete it)
  • Remove tin foil hat and enjoy

• Purchase a light color (e.g. white) power bank if you don't already have one (as it'll be exposed to the sun)
  • Repeater ideally should be positioned between the controller (you) and the drone
  • Elevate the repeater as high as possible
  • Avoid flying the drone directly above the repeater
  • Install the Mi Home app on a spare device if available
  • Deny all permissions to the Mi Home app after installation (better yet, delete it)
  • Remove tin foil hat and enjoy
Hi, so I can delete the mi app and that will not stop the repeater from working?

@Kozzyt

The app is only needed for setup; not needed for flying the Tello.

Just remember your app login credentials in case you need it to setup again as a few members on this board seem to have lost the configuration on the repeater randomly.

If you're less concerned about the app phoning home, do a force stop on the app in the Android settings.

B
Hopefully getting my Xiaomi WiFi repeater next week, any hints or tips on getting the best performance would be appreciated.
Thanks ?
Be patient when setting up. I remember someone posted that they had to reset the repeater 4 times to get it to work. I guess I did well. I only had to reset 3 times. Once you get it working, your Tello is a whole new aircraft! Good luck.

Some Youtube videos are not always readily understandable.
But try them.
I honestly fluked it.
Play, pause, and play, pause and play pause again.
It's worth the wait, just don't walk away from the extender and have your controller between the Tello and the extender.
With a bit of luck the wind might help at the top of the trees.
Get a tracker, I will.

B

Be patient when setting up. I remember someone posted that they had to reset the repeater 4 times to get it to work. I guess I did well. I only had to reset 3 times. Once you get it working, your Tello is a whole new aircraft! Good luck.
Twice here. That's why it's a called a repeater...
I'll show myself out ?

Some Youtube videos are not always readily understandable.
IMO...
MOST YouTube videos are a gigantic waste of time! Egos (and lack of prep) get the best of the posters and they spend 22 minutes 'explaining' something that could easily be explained in 3.

YouTube is usually the last place I go to try to figure out something - and waste my time!

Reactions: Kozzyt
Is there a good alternative that does NOT require this curious app? I know there should be also some that offer a tiny web interface for configuration in browser and neither account creation nor full device access must be granted. This is a no-go for me.

Reactions: Kozzyt
It was hard enough to set up via the app, was happy enough giving a junk email address for the app.
Did delete the app and was so far so good.until the bloody thing wanted to sit on top of a tree, amongst a couple of hundred.

• Wow
Reactions: The_5treet
IMO...
MOST YouTube videos are a gigantic waste of time! Egos (and lack of prep) get the best of the posters and they spend 22 minutes 'explaining' something that could easily be explained in 3.

YouTube is usually the last place I go to try to figure out something - and waste my time!
Always, like trying to sell us something, agree.

Is there a good alternative that does NOT require this curious app? I know there should be also some that offer a tiny web interface for configuration in browser and neither account creation nor full device access must be granted. This is a no-go for me.
Believe this alternative was well received based on this thread:

However, seems to be elusive as not available through the typical online channels:

Found one on Newegg but appear to be sourced through a third-party seller:

Here are a few more options:

Reactions: AnGo
Finally got my hands on the repeater, got it setup in a couple of minutes.
Tello - check
Two phones - check
Repeater - check
Power bank - check
Cheap Walmart $5 VR goggles - check
Brain removed to do dumb stuff - check
Sweet we're all ready go.
Videos to come , thanks for all the advice. ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan