Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Wifi Repeater Up and Running. More Range means more Dangers :)

Fari

Reaction score
Proof of concept (downtown, high wifi interferences)

Punk Style Flight with 2 crashes. I've been scared by the second as I did not see it coming. Gizmo can go much farther, it's tricky switching between FPV and real world vision.

Technical notes : Vonets11G-300
* It is an hindrance and not an help if it is placed too close from the controlling phone. (Carrying it with me while piloting is not a good idea).
* It works better when placed higher.
* After switching Gizmo's battery (wifi connection reset), it may be necessary to reboot the device.
* This needs to be configured. It wasn't that hard for me but I am a web developer that build his own pcs.
* The power pack I matched it with is solar chargeable :D
IMG_20200812_060418_thumb.jpg

Reactions: Terry and Flydrone
Interesting! I would like to try the VAP11G-500 model
Will this extender be better than the most popular extender for tello? it would seem so!

Interesting! I would like to try the VAP11G-500 model
Will this extender be better than the most popular extender for tello? it would seem so!

So far it is only impressions but I am under the impression that Gizmo's range increased by some 30%.

I need to setup a reliable benchmarking technique and maybe do some theorical homeworks :)
I have another repeater (ZHONGLI USB Wifi, répéteur WiFi 300 Mbps amplificateur de signal WiFi avec antennes externes extension WiFi pour fréquence 2,4 G et 5 G: Amazon.ca: Téléphones cellulaires et accessoires) ordered that I'll like to bench and also try to use both on the same Tello at once.

I think I need to find and adopt a decent testing ground also. Wifi interferences seems to be very variable around the city.

Reactions: Flydrone
I have always used the Xiaomi extender ² and I am very happy and never any problems.

I have always used the Xiaomi extender ² and I am very happy and never any problems.
Well, the Xiaomi extender is more expensive. Like 50 CAD$ instead of 20$ for the other I've ordered. I think the Vonet cost me some 30$, its usual purpose is to feed wifi to a lone camera or something.
And I'm in no real need for so much more range.
And I have 2 Tellos anyway, I'll need more repeaters ;), I will probably end up purchasing one Xiaomi some day.
So I told myself I'd try stuff. Starting with what I already had :)
But the Vonets thing does not even have an antena ...
I like these parabolic thingies you guys are toying with, I'll be working on my own optimized solution some day eventually, If I can manage to find the time for exploring everything I want with Tellos.

Reactions: Flydrone
First post, hope I am within etiquette to reply to a 7-week stale thread.

I purchased the Vonets VAP11G-500 and began attempting set-up this weekend. I found the VAP11G-500 manual online, and was hopeful I could figure it own on my own, along with Youtube material on the Meross as an analog. However, the steps on ps 6 and 7 of the 4-year old manual did not match what I was experiencing first hand on the Vonets web configuration page. There were many more check-boxes and fields that I wasn't sure how to handle. And when I got to what I thought was the final stage, I was given 3 choices: 1) Add another hotspot, 2) Go "To connect", and 3) Reboot. I attempted both 2) and 3) to no success. Lastly, I most clearly do not have the computer experience that Fari does.

Any tips/help/resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Reactions: Fari
First post, hope I am within etiquette to reply to a 7-week stale thread.

I purchased the Vonets VAP11G-500 and began attempting set-up this weekend. I found the VAP11G-500 manual online, and was hopeful I could figure it own on my own, along with Youtube material on the Meross as an analog. However, the steps on ps 6 and 7 of the 4-year old manual did not match what I was experiencing first hand on the Vonets web configuration page. There were many more check-boxes and fields that I wasn't sure how to handle. And when I got to what I thought was the final stage, I was given 3 choices: 1) Add another hotspot, 2) Go "To connect", and 3) Reboot. I attempted both 2) and 3) to no success. Lastly, I most clearly do not have the computer experience that Fari does.

Any tips/help/resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

I've seen your post. I'll setup my wifi extender for Cid this time and make a video or a screenshot explanation while doing it. Maybe not today though.

I've seen your post. I'll setup my wifi extender for Cid this time and make a video or a screenshot explanation while doing it. Maybe not today though.
That would be fantastic Fari. I tried again yesterday with no success. If I choose "Reboot", the web page on my mobile spins and never succeeds, and the Vonets does not achieve the constant green color that apparently it should. A Tello 2.4 WiFi connection is created, and I have the drone join it, but I get no sense that the Vonets is truly firing, and of course the drone height achieved maxes out at 10 meters. Thank you so much for your consideration!

[...] A Tello 2.4 WiFi connection is created, and I have the drone join it, but I get no sense that the Vonets is truly firing, and of course the drone height achieved maxes out at 10 meters.

The 10 meters high limit thing is probably a configuration one. If you are using Tello FPV I think 10 meters is the default limit.

Outside of that I havnt really used my extender yet because my flying style is still to follow my quad around so I do not need range that much.

I will need it more and more while working on FPV skills outside but I'm in no rush since winter's almost here.

In Quebec city (medium sized) I can usually go up to 20 meters before wifi interferences become a hassle without wifi extender.

So I am wondering if your problem is really one of extending your signal.

I'm curious to play with that a bit now, I also received another no name extender that I'd like to test, I'll keep you informed.

A Tello 2.4 WiFi connection is created, and I have the drone join it, but I get no sense that the Vonets is truly firing.

After powering up the repeater and Gizmo (my binded & wounded Tello) my Vonets device takes some times then start flashing very fast (no solid light).

I have the feeling you have probably already setup your device correctly but there's a few things that can screw your usage of it starting with : standing very close to your device.

Gimme some update on your handling of your Tello pls, I'm currently being extremely distracted by teaching myself to fly FPV drones on a simulator, havnt been flying tellos much recently.

Hi there,

Can you recommend me a wifi extender (based out of India)? The mi isn't available and I am not sure which one to purchase. Will this work?

TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Wireless Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with 1 Ethernet Port, Plug and Play, Built-in Access Point Mode

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv