Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

raulvolador

Reaction score
WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater

Hi all,

Last months I have been flying my Tello using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2. It's a great piece of hardware that allowed me flying farther and safer.

xiaomi.jpg

But recently I have noticed about WIFI+S Range Extender. I bought one of them and gave it a try. I'm pleasantly surprised. It performed very well, better than Xiami. I would like to share my experiences and invite you doing the same.

wifi+s extender.jpg

Firs of all, "WIFI+S Range Extender" is sold under different brands and commercial names, for example "Enyu USB Wi-Fi Range Extender", "KOBWA WIFI Extender", "Pix-Link WIFI Extender", etc.. All of them is the same hardware. You can download a PDF Quick Start Guide from here:

https://fccid.io/2AJRQ-ME300RE/User-Manual/User-Manual-3134110.pdf

Externally WIFI+S Extender is bigger, heavier and heats up more than Xiaomi Repeater. This makes it more uncomfortable to use, but all these characteristics indicate that it is more powerful.

I tested both into a well know urban environment I use to flight often, under moderate wifi interference. I tried to be fair. Same conditions, same takeoff point, same route, even same WIFI channel (I tested it using Wifi Analyzer app).

Both flights were at Fixed bitrate 1mb/s and 0 iframe interval.

I clearly got double performance from WIFI+S Range Extender than Xiami WIFI Repeater.

Let me show you some numbers:

sinking 90db to 70db

sinking 70db to 40db

sinking 40db to 10db

Max Distance

Xiami WIFI Repeater

38 mt

134 mt

138 mt

148 mt

WIFI+S Range Extender

180 mt

289 mt

unreached

291 mt

Here an screen capture max distance achieved using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater:

xiaomi max distance.jpg

Here an screen capture max distance achieved using WIFI+S Range Extender:

wifi+s extender max distance.jpg

I hope I will perform further tests in the next future

I'll keep you informed

Raul.

Last edited:

Hi all,

Last months I have been flying my Tello using Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2. It's a great piece of hardware that allowed me flying farther and safer.

View attachment 3268

But recently I have noticed about WIFI+S Range Extender. I bought one of them and gave it a try. I'm pleasantly surprised. It performed very well, better than Xiami. I would like to share my experiences and invite you doing the same.

View attachment 3269

Firs of all, "WIFI+S Range Extender" is sold under different brands and commercial names, for example "Enyu USB Wi-Fi Range Extender", "KOBWA WIFI Extender", "Pix-Link WIFI Extender", etc.. All of them is the same hardware. You can download a PDF Quick Start Guide from here:

Externally WIFI+S Extender is bigger, heavier and heats up more than Xiaomi Repeater. This makes it more uncomfortable to use, but all these characteristics indicate that it is more powerful.

I tested both into a well know urban environment I use to flight often, under moderate wifi interference. I tried to be fair. Same conditions, same takeoff point, same route, even same WIFI channel (I tested it using Wifi Analyzer app).

I clearly got double performance from WIFI+S Range Extender than Xiami WIFI Repeater.

sinking 90db to 70db

sinking 70db to 40db

sinking 40db to 10db

Max Distance

Xiami WIFI Repeater

38 mt

134 mt

138 mt

148 mt

WIFI+S Range Extender

180 mt

289 mt

unreach

291 mt

View attachment 3270

View attachment 3271

I'll keep you informed

Raul.
How and where to install that extender? Smartphone?

Hi all,

View attachment 3268

View attachment 3269

sinking 90db to 70db

sinking 70db to 40db

sinking 40db to 10db

Max Distance

Xiami WIFI Repeater

38 mt

134 mt

138 mt

148 mt

WIFI+S Range Extender

180 mt

289 mt

unreach

291 mt

View attachment 3270

View attachment 3271

I'll keep you informed

Raul.
Good job as always Raul. Just a few questions.

1. The Xiaomi Range extender is it a v1 or v2? the v1 is limited to 150mbps and 2 is 300mbps. I haven't looked up your new range extender, so I don't know those specs.
2. How much power does the new range extender need? The Xiaomi uses little to none power. I believe it pulls somewhere around 50mAh per hour.
3. The heating up part. How much heat does it generate? Does it make it uncomfortably hot?

1. The Xiaomi Range extender is it a v1 or v2? the v1 is limited to 150mbps and 2 is 300mbps. I haven't looked up your new range extender, so I don't know those specs.

At the beggining of firs post I said I'm talking about Xiaom WIFIi Repeater v2 ;)

2. How much power does the new range extender need? The Xiaomi uses little to none power. I believe it pulls somewhere around 50mAh per hour

Unknow info. I guess that it consumes more than Xiaomi Repeater because it heats up more.

3. The heating up part. How much heat does it generate? Does it make it uncomfortably hot?

Hot but not too much. You can touch it without problems with bare hands. I just want to say that it gets hotter than the Xiaomi Repeater.

Raul.

At the beggining of firs post I said I'm talking about Xiaom WIFIi Repeater v2 ;)
Ha! Guess that's why I get for not paying attention to what I was reading. So my next question.

How far have you gone with this extender? You think you can break your 720m without any modifications?

Reactions: Seaking6

:love:

From the table ("sinking 40db to 10db" : "unreach") and no artifacts on second screenshot, I gather that the 292m limit was not due to signal weakening, but some other, not wifi-related reasons?

Could you please, during the further tests mentioned, set auto-bitrate and compare the bitrate achieved on similar distances with both repeaters? While I'm not going to challenge your range records, I could use some better video quality on ranges I fly... :)

I am looking to get a range extender.
Do you have to set up the WiFi-S each time you use it or only once?

Thanks

Reactions: Seaking6
:love:

From the table ("sinking 40db to 10db" : "unreach") and no artifacts on second screenshot, I gather that the 292m limit was not due to signal weakening, but some other, not wifi-related reasons?

Could you please, during the further tests mentioned, set auto-bitrate and compare the bitrate achieved on similar distances with both repeaters? While I'm not going to challenge your range records, I could use some better video quality on ranges I fly... :)

Both flights were at Fixed bitrate 1mb/s and 0 iframe interval.

I flew until image quality was severe degradated, no matter signal strength. You can see last seconds flight screenshoots for this flight into another post:

New app: TelloFPV

I noticed too so high db signal at the very end of video. It seems Wifi extender RF power is much more greater than Tello's.

Raul.

One question because this xiaomi wifi extender really annoys me:

How does the setup of the new extender work? Do you need a dedicated chinese spy app like the Xiaomi one or is it browser based?
Does it keep the settings well? My Xiaomi loses its memory every few days and needs a fresh configuration, so I can't permanently delete the Xiaomi spy app?

My Xiaomi 2 uses around 160mA @5.05V (measured with a cheap $5 "charger doctor" so not 100% reliable)

Last edited:
I'd suggest not to use auto bitrate for range tests. Everytime the bitrate goes back to 4Mbps you risk breaking the stream on extreme distances.
Fixed 1 -2 Mbps makes more sense. Its just safer .

How does the setup of the new extender work? Do you need a dedicated chinese spy app like the Xiaomi one or is it browser based?

@volate!lo,

WIFI+S setup liked me a lot. No config app is neccesary. You just have to connect WIFI extender, open Android web browser and do configuration. Interface is clear and lets you change WIFI SSID as you want.

See images from manual:

wifi+config.jpg

Does it keep the settings well? My Xiaomi loses its memory every few days and needs a fresh configuration, so I can't permanently delete the Xiaomi spy app?

I received WIFi+S Extender a few days ago. So far it has not lost configuration. It happend to me sometimes using Xiaomi Repeater v2 and I needed to set it up again. As I did't like XiaomiMI app I decided to "freeze" app instead uninstalling. When config is needed again I only have to "defrost" app.

I'd suggest not to use auto bitrate for range tests. Everytime the bitrate goes back to 4Mbps you risk breaking the stream on extreme distances.
Fixed 1 -2 Mbps makes more sense. Its just safer .

Thanks for the advice. All of my range test were performed at 1Mb/s and 0 iFrame period.

All the best.

Raul.

Last edited:
2. How much power does the new range extender need? The Xiaomi uses little to none power. I believe it pulls somewhere around 50mAh per hour.

@Ansia,

I have not been able to measure actual WIFI+S Repeater power needed, but I found an interesting user test here:
https://www.amazon.com/ANYQOO-Extender-USB-Plug-Wireless-Repeater/dp/B073P2YX64

He says:
I can easily throw it on to an external battery and, with a 10000mah battery. Run it for 28+ hours

Let me doing some maths:

We start from a powerbank 10000 mAh. Manufacturers use to cheat us pointing battery capacity at 3.7 volts, that's nominal 1 cell lipo voltage. I'll suppose we have 10000 mAh at 3.7 volt

Then, 10000 mAh x 3.7v / 5v = 7400 mAh at 5 volts.

Now, 7400 mAh / 28h = 264 mA

It seems WIFI+S Extender needs 264 mA current vs Xiaomi Repeater 160 mA measured by @volate!lo. Close to double power. Of course, it's only a guess ;)

Raul.

Last edited:
@Ansia,

I have not been able to measure actual WIFI+S Repeater power needed, but I found an interesting user test here:
https://www.amazon.com/ANYQOO-Extender-USB-Plug-Wireless-Repeater/dp/B073P2YX64

He says:

Let me doing some maths:

We start from a powerbank 10000 mAh. Manufacturers use to cheat us pointing battery capacity at 3.7 volts, that's nominal 1 cell lipo voltage. I'll suppose we have 10000 mAh at 3.7 volt

Then, 10000 mAh x 3.7v / 5v = 7400 mAh at 5 volts.

Now, 7400 mAh / 28h = 264 mA

It seems WIFI+S Extender needs 264 mA current vs Xiaomi Repeater 160 mA measured by @volate!lo. Close to double power. Of course, it's only a guess ;)

Raul.
Depends on the useable power of this "10.000mAh" power bank. I'd not draw any conclusions based on this particular comment.

My older "Xiaomi Nano Youth" has much a better range than the Xiaomi Wifi2 but uses a bit less power (150mA using the same cheapo meter). The bad thing about the Nano Youth is that once it loses connection to Tello it is very (!) slow to reconnect. So once you are past that trigger point where the connection is lost you can write off Tello. So its not the best router to use for this job.

Has anyone tested the re-connect time for Xiaomi Wifi2 and the Wifi+S ? Just connect everything, turn off Tello, turn it on again and see how long it takes to reconnect after Tello starts to quickly blink yellow (that is the sign Tello's wifi is on and waiting for connection).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv