Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

10m altitude limit

This annoys me. On iOS someone is charging 99p for a compiled version of someone elses hard work on reengineering the python interface
On Android, the app has ads.

If i had the time i would compile a free version for each platform. Ugh

The free app is available on both Playstore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.keiziweb.telloaltsetter
and iOS Appstore:
TALS on the App Store

There are no ads.

Here is a short tutorial video:

Many thanks to the author of this great utility!

Last edited:
Great news all this about increasing altitude etc. Had my Tello up to 20m last night before wifi interference and wind made me bail. Thinking about it today, has anyone had any thoughts on attaching a micro gps chip in the case we do get up to 100m in interference and wind free conditions? I guess the complexity would come in to powering such a chip?

I tried a free app usable for both iOS and Android is called TALS and is fantastic, I also did a video test

My Tello drone flown at 30m altitude suddenly started drifting out of control around 40 second in the video. It's a little windy at ground level but probably lot more at 30m. Probably the VPS can't lock position at that height and I am not sure what's the best way to salvage it in such a situation.

2018-03-6--09-38-28.jpg

I tried to reduce the height and it crashes into a tree and falls on to the ground.
Luckily I use the third party aTello app made by @Krag and it recorded the full footage with the crash, which I used to find the drone.
Two propellers were knocked out but the Tello is all good to fly again!

Last edited:
My Tello drone flown at 30m altitude suddenly started drifting out of control around 40 second in the video. It's a little windy at ground level but probably lot more at 30m.

View attachment 490

I tried to reduce the height and it crashes into a tree and falls on to the ground.
Luckily I use the third party aTello app made by @Krag and it recorded the full footage with the crash, which I used to find the drone.
Glad you were able to recover your little bird.
The problem at this altitude is that the vision positioning system may not be working well anymore, depending on the texture of the ground. Also, winds are generally a lot stronger up there...

My Tello drone flown at 30m altitude suddenly started drifting out of control around 40 second in the video. It's a little windy at ground level but probably lot more at 30m. Probably the VPS can't lock position at that height and I am not sure what's the best way to salvage it in such a situation.

View attachment 490

Two propellers were knocked out but the Tello is all good to fly again!
Lucky that it was unharmed and you recovered it. I had a similar crash and lost 3 props.

The key is remaining sure which way is 'back towards you', and as soon as it starts to drift, pull it 'home'

Lucky that it was unharmed and you recovered it. I had a similar crash and lost 3 props.

The key is remaining sure which way is 'back towards you', and as soon as it starts to drift, pull it 'home'
Yes, these little props are sooo hard to find when they get off! At least they don't cost a fortune.
I had a couple of run-aways, too. Focusing on the FPV display and enabling fast mode can save your day ;)

Yes, these little props are sooo hard to find when they get off! At least they don't cost a fortune.
I had a couple of run-aways, too. Focusing on the FPV display and enabling fast mode can save your day ;)
Totally agree about fast mode, but I always try and keep the drone in sight, too easy to get disorientated focussing on the screen.

I wonder if leaving just the front prop guards in would help with orientation but not hinder performance

Totally agree about fast mode, but I always try and keep the drone in sight, too easy to get disorientated focussing on the screen.

I wonder if leaving just the front prop guards in would help with orientation but not hinder performance
Regarding disorientation, I fully agree when using the official app, in which the video feed has too much lag and dropped frames to be usable for FPV flying. Krag‘s app has virtually no lag, so flying FPV is a joy.
Hmm, I haven't tried to remove just the rear prop guards, might help with orientation. As long as it does not screw up center of gravity...

Tried a quick flight with just the front prop guards attached today.
Flies ok, easier to identify forward orientation. Plan to try a longer flight tonight to test more.

Edit. Bad plan.
Once the VPS switches off, the tello acts like a weather vane... spinning to face into the wind

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bellottie