Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Able to develop custom Tello controller app?

xtr33me

Reaction score
We are looking at purchasing a tiny drone for flying around indoors autonomously. I came across the Tello as a potential option and am already a fan of DJI's products. However we will have the need to be able to write our own controller app initially that is run on Android as well as being able to tap into the camera stream for future computer vision applications. Is it possible to access this functionality using java via Android Studio for example or can you only use the provided TelloFPV app on the app stores?

Any info or light you can shed on this would be helpful. Thanks for your time!

Tellofpv does exactly that, except i dont do any CV.
Requires some bit and byte juggling as well as protocol analysis using wireshark. A few starting points can be found in this forum. I think the most interesting thread was Tello. Whats possible?

Maybe you can also get away with the edu version using SDK2. But you will be locked into slow mode only, AFAIK the sdk does not support fast mode

Reactions: xtr33me
Requires some bit and byte juggling as well as protocol analysis using wireshark. A few starting points can be found in this forum. I think the most interesting thread was Tello. Whats possible?

Maybe you can also get away with the edu version using SDK2. But you will be locked into slow mode only, AFAIK the sdk does not support fast mode
Thanks!! This is awesome news!

Reactions: Guorium

Sorry to bother you again. I put in an order for a Tello and it should be here sometime next week. However now that I have been trying to orient myself a bit more for the dev on this thing, I have been seeing a lot around the Tello EDU. If I wanted to program for this, did I need to purchase a specific Tello drone?

For full control over all functions including fast mode you need to program using binary commands like the ryze tello app or tellofpv. That works with any version.
If you want to use the much easier but less capable sdk instead you need the edu version. As far as i know because i never used the sdk.

Last edited:
Thanks again! I figured that was the case, but when I reached out to their support they stated I needed the Tello EDU. I was hoping what you said was the case, so I will stick with the standard Tello and using binary commands. You've been a great help!! Now I just have to wait for delivery :)

Hello,

Did you ever make an app? I want to make an app to connect to the tello so I can send commands to it with my phone. I know I can do that with the app in the store but I to make it myself. Something simple like see the camera and take one command if i press a button. I want to have the drone fly in a square automatically from my preset commands then be able to load the app and see the live footage. Any idea on which software to build the app or know of any github projects to start with? Thank you

Reactions: fly249g

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv